My thoughts on the Lady Friend's 2015 Fusion with 175k, 2.5L N/A engine.

No, nothing is really cheap now but searching around on Facebook Marketplace the Toyota tax is heavy in my area and most Honda’s are high too. Deals can still be found on Ford, Mazda and a few GM if you know which models are a reliable platform.

I think in every region pricing differs somewhat.

Those engines are considered bulletproof. I know the 6F35 transmission gets a bad rap (ours lasted 155k miles with zero issues when we sold it) but you never hear issues with those car's when the 2.5L and 6F35 are combined either.
Had a 16 Escape S with 6f35 and 2.5L.

Transmission converter blew up at 91k miles with two fluid changes previous.

Sold the car after having the transmission rebuilt, but no other problems with the car besides that.

2015 Focus hatch owner here. Purchased new and is still one of the best and most reliable cars I've ever owned. It was truly a sad day when Ford exited the car/sedan market.
I assume you have a 5 speed M/T as I do in my trouble free 2014 Focus hatchback....the A/T's were very troublesome and Ford foolishly allowed them to be sold for the entire duration of that generation Focus (2012-2019). I'm sure that many who purchased Focii with that A/T swore off ever buying another Ford.

PS: My 2014 Focus 5 speed and my 2016 Escape 2.5 are two of te best and most reliable cars I've ever owned also.

I assume you have a 5 speed M/T as I do in my trouble free 2014 Focus hatchback....the A/T's were very troublesome and Ford foolishly allowed them to be sold for the entire duration of that generation Focus (2012-2019). I'm sure that many who purchased Focii with that A/T swore off ever buying another Ford.

PS: My 2014 Focus 5 speed and my 2016 Escape 2.5 are two of te best and most reliable cars I've ever owned also.

Believe it or not it's actually the DCT auto.

Are they still cheap at current pricing levels?
No, they are higher with 50-60K than you could buy one new before the pandemic. Right Before the CoCo puffs virus they could be had New for $19K +T&T, as they were being phased out.

Last edited:
You are very fortunate. I've asked many 2012-2019 Focus owners with the DCT if they've had issues and I can't remember any who have said no. How many miles do you have on yours?
Only 70k but it’s almost entirely city driving.

I figure I’ll be replacing the clutches at some point.

You can't kill those NA 2.3s and 2.5s from that time period. We have the 2.3 in a Mazda5, owned since new and it has been rock solid...not a ton of power but not a single mechanical issue in the drivetrain to date.

The Lady Friend is going to have a front suspension analysis done and she has a trusted garage where a 40 yr friend works. The ATF was last D&F'ed at 90K. The engine is using about a qt every OCI. She likes her low-tech 2010 ish designed car. I think it is her best option. Just looked and a 2020 with 67K with the 2.5L was $27K at a local Ford dealer.

Back