Auto E-Brake Release - Any Ford Techs?

Vehicle in question is a 2001 Grand Marquis with vacuum operated automatic parking brake release. Never had a problem with it, but the parking brake did not disengage completely the other day, when the transmission range selector was moved to the Drive position. I had to use the parking brake release handle to disengage it completely.

Yesterday, the auto parking brake release stopped working altogether. Going off the service manual, I'm going to check for vacuum at the parking brake release control motor (2A843), which should be 34 kPa. If there is no vacuum, I'll have to start looking for leaks. I believe it's a small white vacuum line that goes through the firewall near the throttle control cable.

However, for anyone that's worked on this system before, is the parking brake release control motor integrated into the parking brake control pedal? When I look up parts, reference 2A843 leads me to the parking brake release handle and parking brake release switch, which appears to be like a vacuum "T".

If the culprit is the pedal itself (F8AZ-2780-AA), that's going to be fun to find, considering it's discontinued in a typical Ford fashion.

Back