Automatic Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.manufacturing.net/news/2015/0...p;type=headline

Quote:

Acura has recalled two models because the automatic emergency braking systems can malfunction and put the vehicles at risk of a collision.

The recall involves just under 48,000 MDX SUVs and RLX sedans worldwide from the 2014 and 2015 model years and shows how even sophisticated safety technology can be prone to real-world glitches.

Acura's "Collision Mitigation Braking System" uses radar to scan conditions in front of the vehicles. If it determines the vehicle might hit an object, it automatically applies the brakes, slowing the vehicles to reduce damage and injuries.

In the recalled vehicles, the system can become confused and step on the brakes when it detects another vehicle accelerating in front while simultaneously driving along an iron fence or metal guardrail, according to Honda, the maker of Acura. The problem first surfaced in Japan in November of 2013 when an SUV braked for no reason and caused a rear-end collision. While Honda investigated, a second incident happened in June of last year.

Quote:

The systems have so much promise that the National Transportation Safety Board is urging that automatic warning and braking systems be made standard on all new cars and commercial trucks.

So now when you rear end another vehicle will YOUR insurance company sue Honda to get the money back? Will that be LOWERING prices all around?

My daughter bought a new QX80 last week. The thing has so much technology it makes my head spin. The computer brakes for you depending on the distance to the car in front, the computer also will move the vehicle back into your lane if you stray into the lane next to you a bit. I personally like a basic vehicle without all this stuff. Maybe it is because I am pushing 70, but it is just too much stuff on cars today. The only thing I really like is a backup camera. I just wonder what happens when the computer controls go beserk one day when you are driving.

Originally Posted By: Bud
My daughter bought a new QX80 last week. The thing has so much technology it makes my head spin. The computer brakes for you depending on the distance to the car in front, the computer also will move the vehicle back into your lane if you stray into the lane next to you a bit. I personally like a basic vehicle without all this stuff. Maybe it is because I am pushing 70, but it is just too much stuff on cars today. The only thing I really like is a backup camera. I just wonder what happens when the computer controls go beserk one day when you are driving.

While I like tech, I agree. More tech more things to go wrong, and they're usually more money to fix. Lets not forget the added cost to the vehicle for the tech. How about the poor guy that got rear ended because the tech screwed up?

Originally Posted By: Bud
I just wonder what happens when the computer controls go beserk one day when you are driving.
Like that guy and his dog who died in his Corvette because everything electrical malfunctioned and he couldn't open the doors or the windows and couldn't blow the horn. LINK

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
More tech more things to go wrong, and they're usually WAY more money to fix.
Fixed it for you...

Personally, I think it's a vicious circle...the more cars get automated, the less skill people need to drive them...and Lord knows most people don't have proper skills NOW.

It is also "comforting" to know that these life-saving features will be built to the lowest price point and with just enough reliability and robustness, much like all the other parts on cars that need to fixed at some point in their lives.

I agree with you both 1000%.
smile.gif

Most people today cannot even manage to operate a manual can opener much less drive well.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Like that guy and his dog who died in his Corvette because everything electrical malfunctioned and he couldn't open the doors or the windows and couldn't blow the horn. LINK

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
More tech more things to go wrong, and they're usually WAY more money to fix.
Fixed it for you...

Personally, I think it's a vicious circle...the more cars get automated, the less skill people need to drive them...and Lord knows most people don't have proper skills NOW.

From the same news article you linked to -

There is a mechanical release lever in the floor, but police don’t think Rogers knew about that. He may have been trying to find it, as when he was found he may have been searching through the owners’ manual.

The key thing that people are forgeting is that technology is not a substitute for your common sense, skill and knowledge, it is an "aid", an aid I believe that will surely save a lot of lives. Now if you dont know how to drive that technology, well then....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

And, the skills are not going to get better. The tech is becoming near necessity to compensate for the increasing inattention and stupidity. Real driving is an art and the world lacks artists.

someday soon, cars will self drive without any driver intervention. Accident rates will plummet, police departments will be able to focus on crime instead of motor vehicle infractions, insurance rates will plummet, auto body shops will become rare, most folks will eventually embrace the new technology, a vocal minority will yearn for the good old days when they could self drive without fear of a giant lawsuit or insurance surcharge or criminal fine should they switch off or disable the autonomous feature and break a traffic law or cause an accident.

If I remember correctly, Car and Driver had an article this past year where a car with a similar braking system slammed on their brakes on a open road in Montana. No other traffic around. Dealer could find nothing wrong, but they were rattled.

If people are rear-ending each other frequently enough, I think there is a different issue. Auto breaking is a band-aid on a much deeper problem. Please pay attention when driving. If you can't, take the bus, car-pool, whatever, but get off the road. I wish there was a lane for people actually interested in driving.

Hopefully auto braking stays as an option just long enough for me to buy my last new car and opt out of it. It is another tech I'd rather not have.

Imagine this scenario. You are in the slow lane. A car in front of you is driving slower and you are fast approaching it. You need to get over into the fast, or passing lane, but you have to speed up to get in front of a car in the left lane that is slightly behind you but about even with your rear bumper. As you speed up to get in front of the car in the left lane and switch lanes, your super smart car automatically slams on the brakes, which has now caused the car in the left lane to strike the rear of your car.

Smart cars like this are not good for advanced drivers, in my opinion. Maybe good for a teenager or elderly driver, but in the hands of an advanced driver it can be dangerous as the technology tries to overcome what the driver is doing.

All these government mandates are pushing up the price of the economy cars to the point that the average joe can not afford them.

Backup cameras, automatic braking, all this stuff should be options on luxury cars not on the cheapo vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
someday soon, cars will self drive without any driver intervention. Accident rates will plummet, police departments will be able to focus on crime instead of motor vehicle infractions, insurance rates will plummet, auto body shops will become rare, most folks will eventually embrace the new technology, a vocal minority will yearn for the good old days when they could self drive without fear of a giant lawsuit or insurance surcharge or criminal fine should they switch off or disable the autonomous feature and break a traffic law or cause an accident.
o.k!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back