Automatic Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an early laser guided adaptive cruise control system in my Infiniti. I love it, and it works great 98% of the time. Occasionally though, if I am passing a semi truck that has the red and white reflective stripes on the back bar, the car will slam on the brakes when I get close. Also occasionally on a hilly road, it will see a reflector ahead of us and hit the brakes. It also will exceed the set speed if someone pulls in front of me at a higher speed. I don't want to ever go back to old fashioned cruise control though.

So many junks on the car lately.

My latest car is 2004 Honda S2000. It has few luxury features: A/C, power windows, side mirrors and top, remote door lock/unlock.

It doesn't have what were luxury items 10 years ago: Tilt-telescoping wheel, power&memory&heated seats, Automatic A/C with dual zone ...

It doesn't have TPMS, Traction control ,drive by wire, backup camera, lane control, smart cruise control(it has dumb CC) and auto braking system and some other junks that many newer cars now have.

I'm glad it doesn't have any of these junks that doesn't improve driving fun, only more things to brake down.

I have a 2012 Volvo S60 with the "City Safety" feature that automatically applies the brakes to prevent a collision when the car is traveling under 20 MPH. The system has worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood). Never had it activate when it wasn't needed. My best girl said it saved her from rear-ending another car once. The only time it's activated for me is when I show off for friends by driving at a fence or wall at 15 MPH and the car stops by itself. I know mine uses lidar for the sensors; not sure if that is inherently better than using radar on the Acura models.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hopefully auto braking stays as an option just long enough for me to buy my last new car and opt out of it. It is another tech I'd rather not have.

One of the best things about the new Ram was the ability to line item your upgrades and not have to settle for packages.

I was easily able to get the stuff I wanted and leave out the stupid 'driver assistance' garbage...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hopefully auto braking stays as an option just long enough for me to buy my last new car and opt out of it. It is another tech I'd rather not have.

One of the best things about the new Ram was the ability to line item your upgrades and not have to settle for packages.

I was easily able to get the stuff I wanted and leave out the stupid 'driver assistance' garbage...

Nice! There's a whole bunch of [censored] I can do without, and auto braking is high on the list.

Nice! There's a whole bunch of [censored] I can do without, and auto braking is high on the list.

I wouldn't mind all the inattentive and elderly drivers to have auto braking, but I'm not interested.
I wonder what it does in tall grass, or on a semi grown in trail, or a blast of water or slush or snow from another vehicle? Or even just maneuvering in a tight parking lot?
What I can see happening if it becomes mandatory is some people will just start walking out in traffic knowing the cars will stop...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I wouldn't mind all the inattentive and elderly drivers to have auto braking, but I'm not interested.
I wonder what it does in tall grass, or on a semi grown in trail, or a blast of water or slush or snow from another vehicle? Or even just maneuvering in a tight parking lot?
What I can see happening if it becomes mandatory is some people will just start walking out in traffic knowing the cars will stop...

Lets not forget the people texting, or tweeting, and the morons who think they can read the morning paper while driving to work, hoping their on board radar/braking system has their back. Hopefully it never becomes standard equipment, but that's really wishful thinking on my part.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I can't comment on the other car manufacturer's auto braking feature, but the City Safety system on my Volvo has been flawless over 102k miles. The system seems very "smart," and does not trigger while parallel parking or if a bunch of snow comes off the roof of a truck in front of me. The system is disabled when going >20 MPH or if it senses your foot is on the brake pedal. I imagine the system might trigger when approaching tall grass if it was dense like a wall, but I haven't done any off-roading in my Volvo. There is a switch on the dash to disable the system temporarily, and I think there's an on-screen menu that allows you to disable it permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back