air suspension on a towed trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's an idea that periodically comes back to my mind... I tow very infrequently right now, but I expect it to pick up (substantially) at some point in the future, and one thing I remember is how my little trailer would leap right into the air like a bucking bronco at times when unladen (okay I was driving maybe a little fast) and only settle down when fully loaded...

So i've often wondered what would be involving in converting one to an air suspension. Not just superheavy ones either, I mean lighter stuff, like a 3500lb class 2 and a 9990lb rated car hauler which i'd also like to use with much lighter loads when I just need more room. I notice that I DONT really see much outside real heavy stuff using airbags... maybe due to the expense? So it seems like I may be left converting something myself if I want it, so i'm wondering how much of a deal that actually IS/since i've heard of conversions for existing pickup beds for instance or even some RWD cars... to me it seems like the way to go would be to run the lightest leaf springs or whatever is on the trailer to just hold up it's tare weight then ideally have ALL the weight supported by air bags, aired up for the load at hand.

Some of the expense of conversions for vehicles involve a compressor but maybe this is less of an issue if #1 I was considering airbags on the tow vehicle, #2 I wanted an air compressor of some sort anyways to bring with for various mechanical type duties, or maybe even the small "car tire" type 12v ones would work since the airbags don't seem any bigger than a normal tire...??

Is wanting air sprung lighter trailers smart or dumb? I know it wont be the cheapest, but if i'm going to potentially be hauling things for decades to come maybe safety (and not abusing the crap out of my load, some things I already refuse to put in the trailer for how rough it rides even when loaded) matters more to me and it's worth the investment to me.

I like the idea but I'd sure hate to be on the hook for a faulty design--I'd rather buy someone else's product and "know" that it was designed properly.

I wonder if you can use torsion instead of leaf springs.

Even the lightest trailer spring will likely be too heavy for an unladen trailer. You might still have to modify it by removing some leaves. The easiest and cheapest way you could do this is with air helper springs that come in a kit with all the lines. These are usually manually inflated.

If you want bags to carry a load, you are going to have to modify the suspension of your trailer. I get your idea of basically having the springs carry the weight of the trailer and then crank the bags up when you are carrying a load. However, I think you could bend the frame of your trailer as all the weight will be on a single bag mount as opposed to two spring perches. You're going to have to do some calculations to determine how to make it work

On a stock leaf spring rear suspension bags are meant to level out the vehicle and return the stock suspension to a position where it can be more effective while towing. You are basically trying to do the opposite.

Torsion axles use only one point of support, so there shouldn't be any issue with mounting air springs. You would have to remove some leaves or have new leaves spec'd for the unloaded weight.

Just remember that a failure of the air springs when loaded will leave you up the creek.

IIRC, there is actually a company that makes a setup already like this for horse trailers. They need to ride as smooth as possible under all circumstances.

Late followup here as i've been busy with school and medical things...

Originally Posted by supton
I like the idea but I'd sure hate to be on the hook for a faulty design--I'd rather buy someone else's product and "know" that it was designed properly.

I wonder if you can use torsion instead of leaf springs.

I suppose there is that, I just assumed perhaps wrongly that spring loads should be spring loads, it's not like i'm changing mounting points or cutting welds... they make airbag conversions for leaf sprung pickup beds and I assumed i'd use basically the same for at least the 3500lb trailer since that's about what a 3/4 ton pickup probably handles. For a 9990lb car hauler that should be in the realm of certain horse trailers i'd think.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Torsion axles use only one point of support, so there shouldn't be any issue with mounting air springs. You would have to remove some leaves or have new leaves spec'd for the unloaded weight.

Just remember that a failure of the air springs when loaded will leave you up the creek.

IIRC, there is actually a company that makes a setup already like this for horse trailers. They need to ride as smooth as possible under all circumstances.

Where's the company that does it for horse trailers? Maybe I could commission them if it's not obscene in cost... I plan to potentially use a trailer for decades to come so I don't mind spending a little to have something i'd consider softer/easier on what i'm hauling is all since not everything likes being banged around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
https://timbren.com/sti-air-ride/

Holy cow that is pretty awesome. I have a good size Travel Trailer 32 feet and 7500lbs loaded. Not sure I need something like that as it does fine going down the road,
but if I full timed I might consider it.

I towed a 5,500 pound 30 foot travel trailer literally all over the country in 7 months on the standard suspension (on both truck and trailer)-for whats it's worth.

From Utah through Arizona-Texas-The South down to Florida-up the East Coast to Maine and back to Utah.

Both performed flawlessly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back