How fast can you tow a log splitter ?

I recently was given a 2012 Troy Bilt 27 ton log splitter that wasn’t running. After fixing a few things it’s now fully operational. I bought new bearing kits for the axles and want to replace the dry rotted tires.

It has 4.8x8 tires on 3/4” axles. The tires are marked not for highway use and say not to exceed 45 mph. The tires I’m buying are rated for highway use and have an 81 mph speed rating.

How fast can you safely tow one of these with proper speed rated tires? I don’t want to harm myself or anyone else on the road. Is 55mph out of the question?

I recently was given a 2012 Troy Bilt 27 ton log splitter that wasn’t running. After fixing a few things it’s now fully operational. I bought new bearing kits for the axles and want to replace the dry rotted tires.

It has 4.8x8 tires on 3/4” axles. The tires are marked not for highway use and say not to exceed 45 mph. The tires I’m buying are rated for highway use and have an 81 mph speed rating.

How fast can you safely tow one of these with proper speed rated tires? I don’t want to harm myself or anyone else on the road. Is 55mph out of the question?
My guess is they are designed to be towed from wherever you bought it to home across town.

Is the axle attached to any sort of suspension? If not, the biggest worry would be for it to start bouncing over any junk roads and damaging stuff.
Otherwise if the roads are good, tires are good, bearings are good and snug enough not to have any play i wouldn't have any problem taking it over 45 mph.
Do you own a new enough vehicle where you can turn on the reverse camera going down the road to see what it's doing? That's the biggest worry is not being able to see it if something does start to go south.

8” wheels spin bearings really, really fast….
3/4" trailer bearings, at least rated by skf are good for 13,000-16,000 rpm, usually rated a tad less when grease is used but still an 8" tall tire will only spin those bearings at just a tad over 2500 rpm at 60 mph

As long as the bearings are fresh and greased no need to worry.

Is the axle attached to any sort of suspension? If not, the biggest worry would be for it to start bouncing over any junk roads and damaging stuff.
Otherwise if the roads are good, tires are good, bearings are good and snug enough not to have any play i wouldn't have any problem taking it over 45 mph.
Do you own a new enough vehicle where you can turn on the reverse camera going down the road to see what it's doing? That's the biggest worry is not being able to see it if something does start to go south.
Unfortunately no, there isn’t any suspension on it. I would be towing it with my 19 F150 and it has a camera, but only in reverse. I’ll install the new bearings, races, seals and tires on it later this week. Sounds like anything under 55 should be ok for a reasonable distance, and if it needs to go down the highway, I need to move it with a trailer.

So kind of a funny story my friend has a cheap harbor freight utility trailer with the little dinky tires. He pulls it with his hellcat charger and has a riding lawnmower on it. He has videos of racing it and doing highway pulls. I couldn’t believe what those little tires and axles could hold up too. I would say your fine lol

I thought the (hitch) intent is to tow around a farm/ranch …?
IMO - Will not be stable even at 45 mph … Check state laws …
Like for trailer lights and registration etc …

Oddly yesterday I started thinking about buying or renting a splitter.

I'm like "I wonder how it would be to tow it home?" and "How fast could I go, MB Highway (SR 542) is 45mph?"

Good thread.

45 mph would be my tops.

A Uhaul open trailer with is under $30 to rent with ramp annd under $20 without ramp and will go a lot faster if far distance. I would not drive over 30mph as those splitters bounce all over the place. They don’t seem legal without a license plate either but maybe.

$25 a day locally. Probably only found at Uhaul company owned locations however. Use a cable winch puller or the lost art of a pulley and rope.

Open5x9RampMedium.png

Back