How do you defend yourself from stray dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
These are not stray dogs, they are someone's pet.

Barking from 3 feet away is not an attack, it's defense. Dogs will not normally attack unless you invade the territory they are in charge of protecting.

Well excuse me!

The title of the thread does in fact state "stray dogs".

Running loose, 50 foot from owner, and owner is out of control, = stray dog. Owner may not be happy, but I'm not bleeding, anyway if dog bites it will be put down as a dangerous animal. But I don't like to bleed.

So how many dogs have you shot, or drawn on? I've been knocked off my bike by one that I would've shot, but its probably a good thing I didn't have that option! He was running away anyways as he knew it would've been bad news to get within arms reach of me...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Stray dog??

9mm, to the head.

Always this person in every thread on how to deal with a loose dog. Never fails.

He said he doesn't like to bleed. I don't blame him.

People should invest in training if they don't want their dog's actions to be seen as an attack.

If a dog is vicious...large enough...and powerful enough...and it is attacking you (or on the verge of doing so), I have no issue with self defense. Shooting a dog under those circumstances is warranted.
What isn't warranted is macho-talk bravado and saying you would give a stray a "9mm, to the head". Just because a dog is a stray, doesn't give a person a moral right to shoot it. My post was reflecting upon the tough-talking types that seem to always look for an excuse to shoot an animal (or person) at the drop of a hat. Jcwit's post reflects that attitude to me. I'm a firearm and 2nd amendment proponent AND a person that enjoys dogs. I must that that in all my time on this earth....MAYBE once have I ever felt like I needed to pull out my handgun and blast a dog that was just doing what some ill-behaved dogs do. I agree that people should not allow a dog to be loose. I just get tired of the gun toters speaking such talk so flippantly. Just like saying, "I don't like to bleed". What does that mean? Sounds like more bravado...and really rather corny.
The ONLY time a firearm should be utilized is IF and WHEN an animal or person is intent on causing serious harm. Simply saying a stray coming towards you deserves a 9mm slug is bunk.

Barking from 3 feet away is not an attack, it's defense. Dogs will not normally attack unless you invade the territory they are in charge of protecting.

Well excuse me!

Running loose, 50 foot from owner, and owner is out of control, = stray dog. Owner may not be happy, but I'm not bleeding, anyway if dog bites it will be put down as a dangerous animal. But I don't like to bleed.

It's obvious that you need to educate yourself what a stray dog is.

Sorry you took it that way, the OP's title says "defend" to me that would require the animal to be attacking, not just a roaming stray dog.

I will defend myself from an attacking animal regardless of how many legs it/they have.

Again, I don't like to bleed,may sound corny to you, but not to me when the blood is running down my leg.

A stray coming towards me has no problem. A stray coming towards me with a vicious growel is more than likely to experience a very short & bad day.

Well excuse me!

It's obvious that you need to educate yourself what a stray dog is.

It's obvious I know what the law is in my state, that's the 50' rule. Pertains to farm animals as well.

Sorry you took it that way, the OP's title says "defend" to me that would require the animal to be attacking, not just a roaming stray dog.

I will defend myself from an attacking animal regardless of how many legs it/they have.

Again, I don't like to bleed,may sound corny to you, but not to me when the blood is running down my leg.

A stray coming towards me has no problem. A stray coming towards me with a vicious growel is more than likely to experience a very short & bad day.

Oh...ok then. We agree on the issue.

I apologize for being too quick to categorize you.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

So how many dogs have you shot, or drawn on? I've been knocked off my bike by one that I would've shot, but its probably a good thing I didn't have that option! He was running away anyways as he knew it would've been bad news to get within arms reach of me...

None at this point, I have been ready twice in my life,once in aMenards parking lot in full daylight, no idea what the mans problem was but he decided a tire iron didn't meet the requirements at the time.

The other time the man was coming at me again in a parking lot at a WalMart, there happened to be a cop there and took him away, problem solved.

Yes I carry in the open except in cold weather when I weat a coat.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

None at this point, I have been ready twice in my life,once in aMenards parking lot in full daylight, no idea what the mans problem was but he decided a tire iron didn't meet the requirements at the time.

The other time the man was coming at me again in a parking lot at a WalMart, there happened to be a cop there and took him away, problem solved.

Yes I carry in the open except in cold weather when I weat a coat.

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Stray dogs are scared of me. Lol I'm serious. Never had one come close to me. I've had huskies ( ironic cuz of the other thread, but true) come after my lab, who was a pup at the time. 3 full grown, untrained huskies. I got between them coming at us, and my dog. My adrenaline went sky high getting myself ready to kill. I had no weapons. They picked up on my adrenaline, pi$$ed off fury, no fear. They stopped and after a short bit we continued on our way. They watched us but didn't move.

My dog as he was growing up has also tried dominating other dogs 2 times. He learned in a very firm, but non abusive way, that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

My brother had a Great Dane that liked to attack people. It was untrained and out of control. But he made darn sure he kept his distance from me. The dog was ultimately put down.

Almost all times when dogs know you are the alpha, they will not challenge you.

Last edited:
I keep pepper spray on my bike, but haven't used it yet. I just peddled away from a loose dog that got away from its owner.

Probably should spray both.

Neighbor got a pitbull pup years ago. I'd do a 20 mile bicycle ride just about every morning. This little pup would chase me every time. As he grew, he became a menace and actually attacked.

The dog and I got into a fight, and I used the "aero bars" on my bicyle (they look kind of like horns) to go after the dog. He ran away in fear! It was rather comical.

A year or so later, he was really trying to bite my pedaling feet. I pulled my pistol. He understood that right away and scampered away.

Over the years, I've chased him back to his property more than a few times. He knows that when I stop my bicycle, he's in trouble...

The dog is still around, but we have a truce now. And I make sure to pet his buddy. You should see the looks he gives me! I would not shoot a dog unless I was seriously bitten or at grave risk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So I take it the dog will just run away most likely if I use pepper spray?

Depends on how well you hit them (eyes, nose). There will be a HUGE sneezing fit, they'll try to paw it off, then lick their paws, which will set the mouth & throat on fire from the heat. Their eyes will burn so bad they won't be able to open them. In the nose, also lots of burning pain. Remember, their sense of smell is 100x? 1000x? as sensitive as ours. It won't take much heat or ammonia, to set it all on fire.

I'm guessing you're a commercial lawn service? So you probably use a back-pack blower? The smaller gas or electric blowers can be used to throw a cloud of black or red pepper powder towards any dogs. Just get a handful and hold it close to the intake where it'll be sucked up into the airstream.

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

It was clear the cop was the hammer! LOL

I almost never see any stray dogs and when I do it is usually some dog that has been abandoned and left at the side of a road somewhere. Those animals are usually terrified or sometimes they will try to follow me to see if they can come home with me.

There have been only a few times when I saw an abandoned dog that seemed hostile. And they were probably afraid.

I get along very well with most dogs. Just yesterday I was at a friend's house and they have two dogs. One they have is a Border Collier and she will not even bark at any strangers. They have had that dog for a while. They wanted a watch dog so they got another dog that will bark at strangers. That was the first time I ever saw that dog and that dog did not even bark at me. I think dogs can sense a lot about people. My friends said essentially the same thing.

I did however see a dog that was not a stray attack a woman and bite that woman. The dog belonged to a neighbor of mine and they just let the dog roam. A man and woman were walking down the street and the dog attacked the woman.

I still remember a long time ago when I had a part time job that required that I go to people's homes and interview them. At one home there was a female German Shepherd dog and I quickly made friends with that dog, and I was able to open the gate and go interview the people at the home. The people said that dog was very aggressive and they were surprised I had been able to go through the gate to the home.

Some of the dogs that people own who are allowed to roam free are more aggressive than the typical stray dog.

I have had a coyote run right in front of me but the coyote did not try to attack me. It was a surprise however.

I worry a lot more about evil, dangerous people than animals.

If you legally carry a handgun.....problem solved. No ignorance on my part.
If you feel you are in danger of death or serious bodily harm, you CAN justify self defense by helping that puppy go play with Jesus.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
If you legally carry a handgun.....problem solved. No ignorance on my part.
If you feel you are in danger of death or serious bodily harm, you CAN justify self defense by helping that puppy go play with Jesus.

LOL What do you want, My Indiana License to Carry Number?

Yes in Indiana all we need is a License to Carry, as our County Sheriff informed us at the Rifle & Pistol Club that I'm a member of the Board of Directors at, he doesn't even care if we duck tape it to our forehead!

I run 3-5 miles, 4-5 times a week. Encountering a dog has never even crossed my mind, cars with inattentive drivers behind the wheel are the only thing that ever concern me. Phone (music) strapped to my arm and a bottle of water for the first half of the trip are the only things on me. No way am I carrying a gun or pepper spray on me, the phone and water are annoying enough.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Neighbor got a pitbull pup years ago. I'd do a 20 mile bicycle ride just about every morning. This little pup would chase me every time. As he grew, he became a menace and actually attacked.

The dog and I got into a fight, and I used the "aero bars" on my bicyle (they look kind of like horns) to go after the dog. He ran away in fear! It was rather comical.

A year or so later, he was really trying to bite my pedaling feet. I pulled my pistol. He understood that right away and scampered away.

Over the years, I've chased him back to his property more than a few times. He knows that when I stop my bicycle, he's in trouble...

The dog is still around, but we have a truce now. And I make sure to pet his buddy. You should see the looks he gives me! I would not shoot a dog unless I was seriously bitten or at grave risk.

I just cannot believe you tolerated this nonsense!

If that was me in your situation the on the third encounter I would have shot and killed that constant menace. These idiots allowing their potentially four legged deadly weapon to randomly chew on innocent human beings is insane, and the owners need to be taught a lesson that will always stay with them.... and you get the ability to use the public thoroughfares, parks, ect. unmolested by that dog EVER AGAIN!

This is why I advocated shooting and killing such dogs, any other way only prolongs the potential for harm, to yourself or other innocents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I run 3-5 miles, 4-5 times a week. Encountering a dog has never even crossed my mind, cars with inattentive drivers behind the wheel are the only thing that ever concern me. Phone (music) strapped to my arm and a bottle of water for the first half of the trip are the only things on me. No way am I carrying a gun or pepper spray on me, the phone and water are annoying enough.

You could also go running with an inferior companion. When a dog attacks, you only need to outrun the slower companion.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: dishdude

You could also go running with an inferior companion. When a dog attacks, you only need to outrun the slower companion.

Now you're thinking, a sacrificial old goat! I might need multiple, from the sounds of things I should be prepared to encounter several killer stray dogs along my journey.

For the record, Cujo wasn't based on a true story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back