Honda/Multi-Vehicle ATF Comparison Chart

Perhaps, whatever it is it's not anything particularly special.
Which is a good thing (y) Nissan or JATCO transmissions really aren't picky. The best argument for people who insist your Nissan/Infiniti transmission will explode / disintegrate if you don't use Matic ? in them is to point out that Subaru uses the same transmission that my car uses but Subaru doesn't require a specific ATF.

Which is a good thing (y) Nissan or JATCO transmissions really aren't picky. The best argument for people who insist your Nissan/Infiniti transmission will explode / disintegrate if you don't use Matic ? in them is to point out that Subaru uses the same transmission that my car uses but Subaru doesn't require a specific ATF.

I've got a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S that's over 212k miles using Valvoline CVT fluid. My secret is to ignore the owner's manual. I drain and fill every 3 years by loosening the transmission pan, there is no bottom drain bolt. I fill it via the dipstick tube to the low mark when Cold.

The Hondas get Valvoline MaxLife ATF including the ZF9 equipped 2017 Elite. I've used O'Reilly brand Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF in the older Hondas without any problems. I'll throw that in the ZF9 next time just to test it out.

I've got a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S that's over 212k miles using Valvoline CVT fluid. My secret is to ignore the owner's manual. I drain and fill every 3 years by loosening the transmission pan, there is no bottom drain bolt. I fill it via the dipstick tube to the low mark when Cold.

The Hondas get Valvoline MaxLife ATF including the ZF9 equipped 2017 Elite. I've used O'Reilly brand Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF in the older Hondas without any problems. I'll throw that in the ZF9 next time just to test it out.

It’d be pretty easy to install a drain plug on that pan. That Valvoline cvt fluid is a nice color.

It’d be pretty easy to install a drain plug on that pan. That Valvoline cvt fluid is a nice color.
You are right, but the car is a known clunker due to the unreliable CVT so I spend as little on it as possible! I do routine maintenance and I send it to the stealership when something requires a lift and specialty tools. My wife is happy that a 2008 Nissan with CVT lasted so long because she hasn't had a car payment in a decade. It's her back-up car now and everything still works: dual zone A/C is cold, heater is great, radio and speakers sound good, heated seats warm you, moonroof opens and closes, PS is smooth. It has niggling problems like minor body rust, some cracks in the plastic and leather, the factory floor mats wore out and thrown away, etc... I wish Nissan kept a regular AT in there and we wouldn't have the hesitation from a stop every few months. Valvoline CVT is a pretty gold color and Nissan NS-2 is light green IIRC. We're keeping the car until she physically dies on us because I'm curious how long it will last.

You are right, but the car is a known clunker due to the unreliable CVT so I spend as little on it as possible! I do routine maintenance and I send it to the stealership when something requires a lift and specialty tools. My wife is happy that a 2008 Nissan with CVT lasted so long because she hasn't had a car payment in a decade. It's her back-up car now and everything still works: dual zone A/C is cold, heater is great, radio and speakers sound good, heated seats warm you, moonroof opens and closes, PS is smooth. It has niggling problems like minor body rust, some cracks in the plastic and leather, the factory floor mats wore out and thrown away, etc... I wish Nissan kept a regular AT in there and we wouldn't have the hesitation from a stop every few months. Valvoline CVT is a pretty gold color and Nissan NS-2 is light green IIRC. We're keeping the car until she physically dies on us because I'm curious how long it will last.
Nice, bought some Kendall cvt fluid for a great price, bought in in a rush after looking at a pds online and confirming it was amber color, turns out new stock is red. If it gets here and is new red stock, I’ll sell it to someone locally as return shipping on my mistake is outrageous. If it’s amber I’ll put it in.

I should’ve just bought Valvoline @7.50 qt or something else not red, trying to save a few bucks may end up costing me more. Lol

Last edited:
Nice, bought some Kendall cvt fluid for a great price, bought in in a rush after looking at a pds online and confirming it was amber color, turns out new stock is red. If it gets here and is new red stock, I’ll sell it to someone locally as return shipping on my mistake is outrageous. If it’s amber I’ll put it in.

I should’ve just bought Valvoline @7.50 qt or something else not red, trying to save a few bucks may end up costing me more. Lol
Valvoline products seem to be very good. They have a reputation to protect when it comes to selling fluids to millions and millions of buyers around the world.

They may have changed suppliers at this point, but the SDS for Honda Genuine ATF used to be from Idemitsu.
I'm surprised Honda doesn't "claim" ownership 100% (companies can do this on SDS).

And this isn't directed at anyone, but just because Idemitsu makes it doesn't mean their Type H ATF is the same stuff. In fact, that's been proven here that it's not the case at all.

I'm surprised Honda doesn't "claim" ownership 100% (companies can do this on SDS).

And this isn't directed at anyone, but just because Idemitsu makes it doesn't mean their Type H ATF is the same stuff. In fact, that's been proven here that it's not the case at all.
Honda doesn't seem to care that much, you can find the SDSs for Honda Genuine Motor Oil on Phillips66's website.

Eh, you're right, they probably don't care and for 99% of Honda owners, it's just fine 'cause they don't care (nor do they need to) either !

I’ve been using Amsoil’s ATL “Fuel Efficient” ATF in my 07 Honda Fit for 116k miles and it’s been an excellent fluid; running 50k-60k intervals and 2x D&F. Changing the Filter every other change for peace of mind.

^Additional info: I got my Fit used with 156k miles on it in 2015. At the time; I flushed an Unknown fill at 166k miles on original transmission.

This car’s original spec called for Z1, but DW1 was since back spec’d to replace that.

Without question, Amsoil’s ATFs are a superior fluid to the older Z1 and the original Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF was even officially TSB’d by Honda for their “problem transmissions” which were built in the late 90s/early 2000s; as Z1 wasn’t good enough at the time and Amsoil performed better as their transmissions were failing on the Z1. This was more of a problem in the Odyssey communities w/ equipped V6 engines afaik.

Others may have more clarity on the issues at that time.

So, if I had a newer Honda I may stick to DW1 only, but for my vehicle built while Z1 was still spec’d; I prefer the Amsoil and haven’t had an issue.

at least difference between honda atf and other fluids are obvious
while mazda fz uniqueness isn't shown in any oil analysis and some companies refuse to sell there semilar physically and chemically atf to us : idemitsu , redline

including companies that make the fluid for mazda : castrol , total , idemitsu but they dont sell specific fz

Last edited:
Back