is mazda fz really a unique ATF or just rebranded toyota ws ?

I just did a D&R of the ATF on my daughters 2021 CX-30 using Aisin's FZ fluid (4 quarts 6 ounces). I didn't drop the pan and change the filter but will do so next time. The OE fluid did turn yellowish but looked pretty clean for 37K miles. The Aisin fluid hasn't changed the shift feel and seems to work great.
I paid $14 a quart online which is about $10 a quart cheaper than the Mazda OE fluid.

PS: I posted in another thread that I changed the rear differential fluid using Royal Purple 75w90 at 25K miles and it seems to be working fine. I haven't been able to change the front transfer case fluid because the fill bolt is blocked by a bracket which wouldn't budge after I removed the bolt which appears to hold that bracket. I'm not sure how or if the dealer would change this fluid but I'm holding out for a Youtube solution.
Good to know that one works well 👍 for what it's worth, I used the Ravenol FZ in our 2018 CX-9 and after about a thousand miles so far I can say I am really really liking it. I had also added LG Platinum as well but I will tell you shifting is quicker and nice and smooth. Definitely a good alternative I think in addition to the aisin

This thread here is informative on the manner, some reporting in with the use of maxlife.

This thread here is informative on the manner, some reporting in with the use of maxlife.
Yes Maxlife has worked well in every vehicle I’ve used it in and for which they give a recommendation. It’s also doing great in my newer Tiguan.

Yes Maxlife has worked well in every vehicle I’ve used it in and for which they give a recommendation. It’s also doing great in my newer Tiguan.
For someone who has a strong understanding of engine oil specifications, why would you use Maxlife ATF? Most ATF specs are proprietary and the available aftermarket options are a reverse-engineered substitute, at best.

For someone who has a strong understanding of engine oil specifications, why would you use Maxlife ATF? Most ATF specs are proprietary and the available aftermarket options are a reverse-engineered substitute, at best.
Because I also understand it’s not at all like motor oil.

Because I also understand it’s not at all like motor oil.
While that statement is perfectly valid, having the correct frictional properties is highly critical to the longevity of a transmission's friction materials. This is an attribute that cannot be easily measured. For this reason alone, transmission fluid is arguably more complex and differentiated than engine oil.

One can easily make the argument with motor oil as well. In the end of the day, it's just hydraulics and clutch crushing. Transmission fluid has a simple duty to keep things cool and lubricated as well as friction co-efficiencies. Some will make a transmission engage quickly and others will slip. If the viscosity numbers match up for a given application, why not use something comparable? GM for an example went on a limb to recommend DEXRONVI for their previous DEXRON III app. Toyota with type IV to WS.

If you're trying to retain a warranty, yes, by all means go with an OE fluid.

One can easily make the argument with motor oil as well. In the end of the day, it's just hydraulics and clutch crushing. Transmission fluid has a simple duty to keep things cool and lubricated as well as friction co-efficiencies. Some will make a transmission engage quickly and others will slip. If the viscosity numbers match up for a given application, why not use something comparable? GM for an example went on a limb to recommend DEXRONVI for their previous DEXRON III app. Toyota with type IV to WS.

Judging by the performance of the various fluids in the "high steel on steel friction" and "anti-shudder durability" tests, I am inclined to conclude that there are differences in these fluids.

Now, whether or not those differences will be materialized in every situation is an entirely different discussion.

Judging by the performance of the various fluids in the "high steel on steel friction" and "anti-shudder durability" tests, I am inclined to conclude that there are differences in these fluids.

Now, whether or not those differences will be materialized in every situation is an entirely different discussion.
I agree wholeheartedly. I guess it boils down to the oil analysis to see how they're working on a given piece of equipment.

Went out on a limb? In what way? DEXRON-VI is superior in every way to the old DEXRON-III license. It has better oxidation and viscosity stability for one thing.

Went out on a limb? In what way? DEXRON-VI is superior in every way to the old DEXRON-III license. It has better oxidation and viscosity stability for one thing.
I'm just using an example how the auto manufacturers change the fluid in question with time

Back