Honda/Multi-Vehicle ATF Comparison Chart

I have a 2005 Civic as well and didn't know it had an inline filter. Where is it located and could you you take a picture of it? I just did a drain and fill last night on the transmission with DW1. Thanks Mainia
My ex daughter-in-law's 2008 Civic.... The filter is behind the engine, above the transmission on the driver's side (LHD). The filter is small and easy to miss. The entire air box needs to come out, and even then it is a royal PITA. Even if it was my car I'd never do it again. I was cursing like madman.

Scott

My ex daughter-in-law's 2008 Civic.... The filter is behind the engine, above the transmission on the driver's side (LHD). The filter is small and easy to miss. The entire air box needs to come out, and even then it is a royal PITA. Even if it was my car I'd never do it again. I was cursing like madman.

Scott

Like this on Acura TL?
I believe Civic/Accord uses the same ATF filter as in this YouTube video, real PITA. I did this a few times on 2006 TL.
It's a bit easier on 2015 MDX, different filter, but the same area(under battery tray

Least it can be gotten to. Honda, for whatever reason, put a filter similar to that in my 08 TL, but it sits behind the torque converter. Lifetime filter indeed.

Like this on Acura TL?
I believe Civic/Accord uses the same ATF filter as in this YouTube video, real PITA. I did this a few times on 2006 TL.
It's a bit easier on 2015 MDX, different filter, but the same area(under battery tray

No, the 2008 Civic filter is different that the TL one. The Civic filter is a small inline filter. It's connected via hoses with spring clamps.

Scott

Like this on Acura TL?

here is experience on my 02 TL

Yes, honda transmissions are very much sensitive to what fluid goes in.
I have had nothing but a great experience using valvoline maxlife atf blended with the right amount of lubegard hfm (highly friction modified, 61910). Mix in one OZ per quart.
If it is your first time going that route, make sure to account for total tranny capacity. Any drain and fills afterwards will just have to account for the amount of fluid being replaced.
I make sure to spill and fill once a year, because both of the honda's in my household see mostly city driving, which can be hard on both fluid and transmission.View attachment 29289
I thought Maxlife with Lubeguard RED was the go-to combo for Hondas?

If it is your first time going that route, make sure to account for total tranny capacity. Any drain and fills afterwards will just have to account for the amount of fluid being replaced.
Why would you need to add anymore than 1oz per the qt of fluid you've added, assuming you've already got Z-1/DW-1 or comperable in the transmission the old fluid is already highly friction modified so shouldn't you only need to add one ounce per qt of new fluid that you've added.

I thought Maxlife with Lubeguard RED was the go-to combo for Hondas?
You are right if you are referring to using with genuine dw1 or z1. I used the lubegard chart here: https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/12th-Edition-OEM-ATF-Conversion-Chart.pdf
When using that chart, I referred to option 2, which is a oem fluid alternative. Since maxlife is not the genuine fluid, I used a different product with a different formulation to get that maxlife fluid to proper spec to prevent harsh shifting.
I have found that maxlife is more resistant to shearing and varnishing than oem dw1, especially in applications that are prone to excessive heat buildup.

Why would you need to add anymore than 1oz per the qt of fluid you've added, assuming you've already got Z-1/DW-1 or comperable in the transmission the old fluid is already highly friction modified so shouldn't you only need to add one ounce per qt of new fluid that you've added.
Interesting, Looks like I made a mistake there.
My logic then is to account for the non modified transmission fluid, but i failed to account for any genuine fluid that is still left in.
This will be corrected (if possible in the first place) to reflect on this new information that you have brought to my attention.

You are right if you are referring to using with genuine dw1 or z1. I used the lubegard chart here: https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/12th-Edition-OEM-ATF-Conversion-Chart.pdf
When using that chart, I referred to option 2, which is a oem fluid alternative. Since maxlife is not the genuine fluid, I used a different product with a different formulation to get that maxlife fluid to proper spec to prevent harsh shifting.
I have found that maxlife is more resistant to shearing and varnishing than oem dw1, especially in applications that are prone to excessive heat buildup.
Interesting, I believe I have read many accounts of Maxlife with Lubeguard red for Hondas, but not Lubeguard black. Thanks for the chart.

Enclosed is a VOA for the BeckArnely version of DW-1

Attachments

• BA-DW1.jpg
    BA-DW1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 144
I thought this would be helpful just for comparison sake. I'd love to add more data to this, perhaps Castrol Import Forumula, Beck Arnley Z1, and the newer Blue bottle Valvoline Import formula (non hi-mi formula)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QHBh4pMGYzeo2On06upZpYeTgwD9falcI8Vm8GXcK4U/edit?usp=sharing

If you have VOA data to add to this, message me about editing permission (assuming you know how to use google docs) or just post the data and I'll add it.
Interesting, how did you find the oem Honda analysis? Do you know how & where I can find the spec for Nissan matic j and s? I’d like to use your chart to compare the universal & import fluids to the two.

Interesting, how did you find the oem Honda analysis? Do you know how & where I can find the spec for Nissan matic j and s? I’d like to use your chart to compare the universal & import fluids to the two.
Nissan like all other Asian manufacturers does not publish their specifications nor do they license them.

Do you know how & where I can find the spec for Nissan matic j and s? I’d like to use your chart to compare the universal & import fluids to the two.
Buy bottles of the fluids, pull out a sample from the bottle, and send it to a lab to analyze. There are various labs that do this, such as Blackstone. When you get the results, submit them to the person (here) that can add the data to the Google spreadsheet.

Nissan like all other Asian manufacturers does not publish their specifications nor do they license them.
There is "circumstantial" evidence that Nissan's ATFs are simply Castrol's ATFs. Matic-J = Import Multi-Vehicle and Matic-S = Full Syn ATF. Who really knows though....

Back