Honda/Multi-Vehicle ATF Comparison Chart

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Supports my decision to stick with OEM fluid.

Explain how? Is the static, dynamic coefficients of friction significantly different? Cooling properties? Seal conditioners.

In any case if you drive normally you can't go wrong with DW-1. Also there is the little fact that they use proprietary add pack items that nobody else uses.

How come Redline D6 is not listed? Redline D6 is actually HONDA DW1 ... D4 only has Z1 listed on bottle...

I have a bottle of Redline D6 and it clearly says HONDA / ACURA ATF DW-1 and I have a old bottle of REDLINE D4 and it clearly says HONDA / ACURA ATF- Z1

Hmmm

When it comes to the word sutable its sorta makes me question it.... B/c In my honda owners manual it says 10W30 Motor oil is suitable for ATF but to change out to Honda Z1 / DW-1.... So that word sutable sorta bothers me...

Originally Posted by David1
How come Redline D6 is not listed? Redline D6 is actually HONDA DW1 ... D4 only has Z1 listed on bottle...

I have a bottle of Redline D6 and it clearly says HONDA / ACURA ATF DW-1 and I have a old bottle of REDLINE D4 and it clearly says HONDA / ACURA ATF- Z1

Hmmm

No, Redline D6 is not actually ATF DW-1. It is "suitable for" just like the others.

No fluid is actual ATF DW-1 except the Honda branded fluid, since like Toyota they do not license their formulation.

Originally Posted by shortlid
OK what is the closest fully synthetic ATF to DW-1 specs available for my 2012 Odyssey Handicap van? Has 65k on the clock never been changed.

Simple answer is - NONE. DW-1 has a very different formulation than any other ATF. Most of the aftermarket ATFs are similar enough that if you go that route, there's little to no difference so you can't go wrong with any of them.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Too bad nobody publish their coefficient of friction, that's what I'd go with.

Regarding to why non OEM has a more DexIII like formula, my guess is as a business they want something that won't attract lawsuit. If someone put Honda fluid in a Toyota and it died then Honda usually won't get sued. If someone put an Aisin fluid in a Toyota because it has an Aisin transmission, then you bet someone will try to sue Aisin. The same goes for Valvoline and Idemitsu.

It is a better financial decision in terms of risk and economy of scale (one fluid for all), even if it means 1% of the people may have a reversible problem (i.e. it doesn't shift as good as OEM but it won't kill the transmission). This may even means they have to change more often or use better base / additive to make it last as long as OEM using syn blend base and cheaper additive.

I personally think since Maxlife have been on the market for so long and people don't have massive transmission failure, it is good enough but not the best, and 95% of the people out there can't tell the difference and don't keep their cars for more than 200k miles.

The majority of AT's have very similar fluid requirements thus it's not a matter of works "best" because of the economy requirements everything is compromise. It's what works well.

Originally Posted by shortlid
OK what is the closest fully synthetic ATF to DW-1 specs available for my 2012 Odyssey Handicap van?

You'll have to find someone who knows what Honda's specs are in order to get an answer to that question. They don't publish their ATF spec(s), and _IF_ anyone on this board knows what they are, they're not saying. We don't actually know whether the unusual formulation in Honda's Z-1 and DW-1 are _specified_. We simply know that's what it looks like. It seems probable there's some spec-driven reason for it, but that's not inherently or necessarily the case.

I would say that there are some getting rid of it, but not a huge percentage. I considered Amsoil until I saw the price. And I had thought DW1 was expensive. I'll stick with DW-1 with 3 quart drain and fill's every 20,000 miles . These crazy Honda transmissions are very fussy! You have to remember that these "mini-vans" are no light weights either!! Mine goes at 4540 lbs without driver and passengers when I'm not pulling a trailer! If you do the proper drain and fills when required, the DW-1 is pretty well proven.

Last edited:
Stick with DW1. I tried Idemitsu and didn't like the results. Shifting wasn't smooth and it made a metallic "clack" sound when shifting from park to drive to reverse, etc. I grabbed 6 quarts of DW1 and did one 3 quart spill and fill and all is happy again. Yes,these transmissions are very finicky.

Stick with Honda dealership oem DW1.

Would you use 6 year old H.G. DW-1 ? Plan to blend 21 ounces of the old H.G. with the new bottle of 11 ounces . Then draw out a quart from the tranny and use the quart blend of the old ( 21 0z. ) and new (11 oz. ) for replacement . The 3 ounces remaining of the old bottle would be for top off . Last , how do you read the manufacture date(s) ?
IMG_5294.JPG
IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5292.JPG
IMG_5290.JPG
IMG_5288.JPG
IMG_5289.JPG

Would you use 6 year old H.G. DW-1 ? Plan to blend 21 ounces of the old H.G. with the new bottle of 11 ounces . Then draw out a quart from the tranny and use the quart blend of the old ( 21 0z. ) and new (11 oz. ) for replacement . The 3 ounces remaining of the old bottle would be for top off . Last , how do you read the manufacture date(s) ?

Way overthinking it. Just shake it up well and use as normal.

You're only replacing 1 quart of fluid? Me personally, I wouldn't waste my time. I'd buy another 2 quarts and do a proper spill and fill.

Yes, honda transmissions are very much sensitive to what fluid goes in.
I have had nothing but a great experience using valvoline maxlife atf blended with the right amount of lubegard hfm (highly friction modified, 61910). Mix in one OZ per quart.
If it is your first time going that route, make sure to account for total tranny capacity. Any drain and fills afterwards will just have to account for the amount of fluid being replaced.
I make sure to spill and fill once a year, because both of the honda's in my household see mostly city driving, which can be hard on both fluid and transmission.
20200913_232314.jpg

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by RevelationLion
...there are real world experiences of people getting rid of DW-1 and using Maxlife, Amsoil and Redline with success, not to mention peace of mind. These are thoughtful Honda owners who find DW-1 to simply be inadequate.

Good for them and I would never tell them not to use the ATF they choose, but their experiences prove nothing about DW-1 being "inadequate".

If DW-1 wasn't inadequate, then the Odyssey owners would not have looked elsewhere for a solution. That is indeed proof. From my own personal experience, DW-1 was burnt in less than 3 years and 20,000 miles, and that's with Lubegard red in the fluid too. Therefore, the Odyssey owners' quest for a better fluid is a valid one based my own personal experience.

I had an Odyssey for 4 years and the first year I did a 100% transfer to Redline D6 with 1.5 Qts of Redline Racing and 1.5Qts of Redline Racing Low Viscosity fluid to reduce some more slip agents out of the D6 while keeping the viscosity close to D6. It was a beautifully shifting van during it's time with me. Firm, yet gentle shifts.

I have the same cocktail in my wife's Rav4 that we tow with. 50,000 miles on that cocktail w/cooler and running beautifully. ( I HATE WS, totally burnt at 22.000 miles with no towing) While looking for her mileage......it's time to change her ATF cocktail again!!! Time to order some Redline cocktail. ;-)

Adding to this my daughter's 2005 Honda with it slipping trans has Max-Life with 2 qts Redline racing and 2 qts low viscosity Redline racing that stopped/reduced her slip in from 1st to 2. It is just past 50,000 miles too. Crap, time to change that out too. Both the Rav4 and the Honda have inline filters too.

Last edited:
I had an Odyssey for 4 years and the first year I did a 100% transfer to Redline D6 with 1.5 Qts of Redline Racing and 1.5Qts of Redline Racing Low Viscosity fluid to reduce some more slip agents out of the D6 while keeping the viscosity close to D6. It was a beautifully shifting van during it's time with me. Firm, yet gentle shifts.

I have the same cocktail in my wife's Rav4 that we tow with. 50,000 miles on that cocktail w/cooler and running beautifully. ( I HATE WS, totally burnt at 22.000 miles with no towing) While looking for her mileage......it's time to change her ATF cocktail again!!! Time to order some Redline cocktail. ;-)

Adding to this my daughter's 2005 Honda with it slipping trans has Max-Life with 2 qts Redline racing and 2 qts low viscosity Redline racing that stopped/reduced her slip in from 1st to 2. It is just past 50,000 miles too. Crap, time to change that out too. Both the Rav4 and the Honda have inline filters too.
I have a 2005 Civic as well and didn't know it had an inline filter. Where is it located and could you you take a picture of it? I just did a drain and fill last night on the transmission with DW1. Thanks Mainia

I have a 2005 Civic as well and didn't know it had an inline filter. Where is it located and could you you take a picture of it? I just did a drain and fill last night on the transmission with DW1. Thanks Mainia

I added a Transprotector (inline) that a famous inline filter company bought and buried because it could filter down to as low as 5 micron ($1 dollar). Not the 20 micron ?? with their cheap crap pleated filter (20 cents) they use now. The only thing they kept was the stainless outer shell.

Last edited:
Back