Honda dealer refuses to change oil after 12 months

Only drama queens feel the need to do that. Just move on..... Either the manager will shrug his/her shoulders and say "well, I'm sorry to lose you...." or he/she will make the shop do the work right then.
If he/she does do the second option immediately. You seriously need another dealership!

I like how they were honest with her, but at the same time, if she asked for it to be done, it should have been done.

Any Honda shop that knows the basics of the required maintenance laid out by Honda would know the "1 year rule" on oil changes called out in the OM/Service Manual.

Dont disagree - Thats why I would like to know what the shop GM has to say about why they are telling her this.
Seems like an obvious call to make from their own manual.

Dont disagree - Thats why I would like to know what the shop GM has to say about why they are telling her this.
Seems like an obvious call to make from their own manual.

Key words are: "that knows the basics of the required maintenance laid out by Honda"

Apparently this Honda dealership shop doesn't know that, or they would have changed the oil based on the manual requirements.

Why else would they knowingly refuse the oil change if they specifically knew and were purposely ignoring the service requirements laid out by Honda?

Key words are: "that knows the basics of the required maintenance laid out by Honda"

Apparently this Honda dealership shop doesn't know that, or they would have changed the oil based on the manual requirements.

Why else would they knowingly refuse the oil change if they specifically knew and were purposely ignoring the service requirements laid out by Honda?

The only reason I could think is if Honda HQ tells them FF time in sump trumps age - if they didn't hear it from above they are winging it.

Occasionally/Rarely I'll hear something that countermands a manual that makes sense - its rare though.

Its been said that engineers dont write manuals marketing departments do, but I tend to follow the manual unless on an analysis regimen.

If the person the OP is referring to had said "it's been 12-1/2 months since the last oil change", how do you know the shop wouldn't have then done the oil change. Everyone primarily thinks mileage, mileage, mileage and maybe they did too.

Its been said that engineers dont write manuals marketing departments do
That's not true. The owner's manual isn't a marketing / advertising piece. The only input a marketing group will have with an owner's manual is the pretty, glossy cover that most have.

The only reason I could think is if Honda HQ tells them FF time in sump trumps age - if they didn't hear it from above they are winging it.

IMO, if Honda wanted something special about the first oil change then it would be clearly shown in the OM. Why would it be a secret from anyone reading the OM? It's possible there could be a special message to the dealers about it, but if so then the dealership should whip that documentation out and show it to anyone who needs to see why they are refusing an oil change on a car with oil that is 1+ year old.

And what if it took someone 3 years to get the OLM below 15% where it trips on? I doubt Honda or any other vehicle manufacture would want the factory fill oil in the sump for 3 years. If they did, they wouldn't have the "change the oil if over 1 year old" statement in the OM.

Its been said that engineers dont write manuals marketing departments do, but I tend to follow the manual unless on an analysis regimen.

I doubt that, it takes some engineering background to come up with details on maintenance, etc. Maybe some marketing departments should let the engineers do some marketing work. 😄

Last edited:
If the person the OP is referring to had said "it's been 12-1/2 months since the last oil change", how do you know the shop wouldn't have then done the oil change. Everyone primarily thinks mileage, mileage, mileage and maybe they did too.

Well, the OP said she bought it 12 months ago. If it was 1 day or even a few weeks short of 12 months, then the shop is just obtuse and as no customer service skills.

Twelve months after purchasing it new, a co worker of mine took her car to the dealer for her first oil change with 4,000 miles. It is a 2019 Civic with 1.5 turbo engine. They advised against it on the grounds that the maintenance minder showed 60% oil life left.

Last edited:
For all we know, she only told them it had 4000 miles and the MM said 60% oil life left.

For all we know, she only told them it had 4000 miles and the MM said 60% oil life left.

They have a computer system to look up the VIN and see what day it was put into service. Or they could have asked her when she bought it. Not everyone puts 12K miles in per year on their vehicle. Lazy shop perhaps?

Ask the service writer to put the refusal in writing. Then the next time show the letter to him after a service and tell him you are refusing to pay the bill. Why do people have a hard time telling people to go you know what themselves? I would with the letter call Honda and ask why they have idiots selling service. I had a battery problem on the Wife's 2002 F250 with the diesel engine 2 batteries [ to date it was the most reliable vehicle I have owned.] The service writer refused warranty which I showed him yet he refused I told him he needs to learn how to read and comprehend. I called Ford and the lady contacted the dealer and I got 2 new batteries under warranty. I did the same with my 2006 Toyota .Called Toyota corporation and said this is my problem and the dealer tries to refuse the Warranty work . Toyota called the dealer and they knew my name. I received great service. i did that every time I needed warranty on the Toyota ,I bet the dealer wasn't happy.

Last edited:
Ask the service writer to put the refusal in writing
He/she didn't refuse anything. They advised against it and the OP's friend left. They went to a 2nd place and they also advised against it.

Reactions: hpb
He/she didn't refuse anything. They advised against it and the OP's friend left. They went to a 2nd place and they also advised against it.
So the recommended service was refused as it was advised to not be done even though the manual says otherwise?

OP or gal who owns the car needs to call and specifically point out that the manual says change the oil if over 1 year regardless of the OLM. Then see what the service writer says after hearing that.

Twelve months after purchasing it new, a co worker of mine took her car to the dealer for her first oil change with 4,000 miles. It is a 2019 Civic with 1.5 turbo engine. They advised against it on the grounds that the maintenance minder showed 60% oil life left.
She then took it to Kwik Kar and they also advised against it for the same reason.
She now plans to drive it another year (4,000 more miles) then have it changed at two years and 8,000 miles.
Does this seem like a good idea?
I don't think the whole story is being told. If she is paying for it, why would the dealer give her a hard time her wanting an oil change? I think it was a good idea on her part to get it changed but the dealer's actions don't make sense to me.

And the thing is, if they wait another X miles, it will make f all of difference in the owner's time with this vehicle.

So the recommended service was refused as it was advised to not be done even though the manual says otherwise?
We don't know the whole story of what the service advisor was told. I'm well aware that the OM says change it every 12 months regardless of what the MM says but we don't know if the service advisor knows the time vs just the mileage.

As usual, this has turned into another dealer-bashing thread here....

Back