Honda dealer refuses to change oil after 12 months

She now plans to drive it another year (4,000 more miles) then have it changed at two years and 8,000 miles. Does this seem like a good idea?

No it's not a good idea. I hope she or someone is checking the oil level for her. That engine doesn't hold much oil.

Find a Honda dealership that knows how to follow Honda's recommended maintenance like shown in the Owner's Manual.

The MM on a honda reduces by 10% every 37 days, so at one year it would show as needing it changed.

It can also be reset by accident if you're scrolling through the menu and click on it. So saying 60% left is possible, which is what the dealer and independent shop were going off of. If they weren't told explicitly that it had been a year they gave her good advice.

Also, the civic 1.5 didn't have a big problem with oil dilution, the same motor in the CRV did. I own both.

The MM on a honda reduces by 10% every 37 days, so at one year it would show as needing it changed.
Not the case with my Mom's '18 CR-V. After a year, she had only put 3000-4000 miles on hers and the MM was above 50%. Her dealer did change the oil/filter without any issue though.

The solution is very simple. Find another dealer that will do what you want done. Make sure to politely explain to the dealer who is making waves, they lose warranty work, and the potential high margin up-sells, and the home-run high margin work once the warranty expires. All this vanishes, for one lousy oil change. Some people are just stupid, and fail to see the big picture. Once a customer packs up and leaves, many times they never to return, in this case all for an oil change. This is not drama, it's reality.

Well, that is probably a good idea...except if your going by time alone and have very low miles I disagree with that recommendation.

I would think this was a "free" oil change. My girlfriend bought a new Avalon and with about 6k on it, I wanted to get it changed. The dealer wouldn't do it. Said it had to go to 10k. They did change it after a year though. She got 2 oc's from them in 2 yrs.

Doesn’t Honda recommend that the filter be changed on every other oil change? If that’s the case the factory filter could be on there for quite some time in this situation.

Doesn’t Honda recommend that the filter be changed on every other oil change?
Since the early 2000s, Honda started incorporating their Maintenance Minder that spits out codes like "A1", "B1", and so on. "A1" means to change the oil, rotate tires, and inspect a few things. "B1" means do the same as done in "A" but also change the filter. Do their vehicles always show an "A", then "B", then "A", and so on ? Not sure anyone can say definitively. Either way, only some people don't change the filter. Even Honda dealers will change it on an A1 service.

Get it changed somewhere else.
Its 12 months tops as others have pointed out.
Your dealer is full of tools. And not the working kind.

I really am curious what Honda says in regards to the 1st oil change though. They may make an exception in that case but only Honda, techs, etc will know. Is @mightymousetech still around ? He's a Honda technician and was one of the people who indicated that Honda is pretty firm on no early oil changes.

Now at BMW, but yes, was at Acura for 13 years. Yes, we would do the first oil change at the 1 year mark if they had not reached the 15% mark.

I would think this was a "free" oil change. My girlfriend bought a new Avalon and with about 6k on it, I wanted to get it changed. The dealer wouldn't do it. Said it had to go to 10k. They did change it after a year though. She got 2 oc's from them in 2 yrs.

Not sure why some people believe that just because Toyota or perhaps some other manufacturer provides a free oil change or two when they purchase a new vehicle, that all manufacturers do. Honda doesn't. Maybe a dealer token of appreciation but not by Honda themselves.

Back