Honda dealer refuses to change oil after 12 months

The first oil change should go a certain distance beyond minimum so that the engine can be broken in.
I would cut your differences and bring it in ~6,000miles.

My wife has the same car,the same year,there is nothing in the owners manual as to time limit for an oil change.
Page 552 of the owner's manual. My Mom has a '19 CR-V with the same engine and I remember reading it. Her dealer has no issues changing the oil/filter once a year because she barely puts any miles on it herself. They joke with her that she needs to drive it more.

took her car to the dealer
I'll presume your co-worker lives in the Dallas area like you apparently do, yeah ? How many Honda or Acura dealers are there ? I'm in a much smaller city and have at least (5) to pick from. She can go to any Honda dealer in the US, any repair shop, or oil change place to have this done.

Twelve months after purchasing it new, a co worker of mine took her car to the dealer for her first oil change with 4,000 miles. It is a 2019 Civic with 1.5 turbo engine. They advised against it on the grounds that the maintenance minder showed 60% oil life left.
She then took it to Kwik Kar and they also advised against it for the same reason.
She now plans to drive it another year (4,000 more miles) then have it changed at two years and 8,000 miles.
Does this seem like a good idea?

From a purely self defense perspective should there ever be damage or a warranty issue- I would document the attempt to get the vehicle serviced and their refusal. It may be needed later.

How would that exactly get documented?

Get them to write it on the intake request for service/work order/whatever paperwork they use

Then keep it- make sure it has the vehicle, date requested and mileage and them stating "whatever they state"

Ok, thanks everyone for the great responses. Good idea to have her check the owners manual for a time limit.
I'll pass this information on to her.

Here are the pages out of the Honda OM that says if the "Maintenance Minder" doesn't come on yet (it hasn't hit less than 15%), then change the oil if it's been a year or more.

The dealership shop should know this ... it's in every newer Honda OM. I'd be calling Honda corporate and letting them know they have an inept dealership.

2019 Honda Civic Maintenance Schedule-1.JPG

2019 Honda Civic Maintenance Schedule-2.JPG

Get them to write it on the intake request for service/work order/whatever paperwork they use

Then keep it- make sure it has the vehicle, date requested and mileage and them stating "whatever they state"

I am with you and thought this also. The issue I see is if they even would write the ticket in the first place ? Dealership service departments tend to shy away from putting such things to paper and like an out if needed.

I am with you and thought this also. The issue I see is if they even would write the ticket in the first place ? Dealership service departments tend to shy away from putting such things to paper and like an out if needed.

Granted in this society today that's a very real thing but my position is you state it in writing or I find another dealer/service dept.

At the ultimate end of the day, that's about all that can be done unless one wants to use a cell and memorialize it or tape the conversation surreptitiously ( which I think would be overkill in most cases but that doesn't mean unwarranted)

I would just do regular oil changes at the house,then when the thingy says to change it, roll up to the stealership.

The issue I see is if they even would write the ticket in the first place ? Dealership service departments tend to shy away from putting such things to paper and like an out if needed.
They won't. I suspect this scenario went like this: Owner calls the dealership, asks to schedule an oil change, service writer asks the mileage, gets the value, tells them it's too early and to call back when the car says it's time to change it. In their defense, I believe Honda of America is fairly strict about dealer service departments following the MM (I had the same experience personally). You know, "cost of ownership" and all.... They didn't ask how long it's been because in most cases, I'd think mileage is reached before time.

If you ask them to put it in writing, that alone may get them to do the service.

You're all still ignoring the fact that this is the first Oil Change...

You're all still ignoring the fact that this is the first Oil Change...

The OM statement of "change after 1 year of the OLM doesn't trip" would still be applicable to the first oil change.

Does the dealership care that much about the environment? Seems ludicrous that they would turn away business. I figure they'd change your oil daily for you it makes them money.

I changed both my 18 Legacy and 19 Impreza at 6 months because that is what the book said. 6k or 6 Months. When I called the dealer and asked do I really need to do 6 months since I wasn't putting the 6k and it was synthetic the told me because of warranty I should follow the schedule. Both cars had less than 6k. I think the impreza was a little more than 4k and the Legacy may have been closer to 3k. However, when I brought it in for service they asked why I was there and said I wasn't due for a change since I didn't have that many miles. When I told them I called and was told I should still do it at 6 months they said "OK". So I guess it depends on the person you talk to. Those oil changes didn't cost me anything except time so, I figured who cares.

Back