Honda dealer refuses to change oil after 12 months

"advising" isn't "refusing" - just stand your ground and tell them to do it anyway. ?

Is that listed in the owner's manual?
The manual says to change the oil (and filter) when the MM says. They don't overcomplicate things. Technical bulletins, factory training, etc are for the technicians, service advisors, etc, not for customers. It's the job of the dealership to relay this internal information to customers when needed, such as a customer wanting to change their oil at 3000 miles.

Yeah, the owners manual is not meant to be an exhaustive service manual.

I agree with what people are saying - they should inform you why they recommend not doing it.
If you insist they probably should do it. Its not clear if that was the case here.
Despite the title "Refuses", it seems more like they informed them that it was not necessary...which is a bit different than refusing.

If you insist they probably should do it. Its not clear if that was the case here.
Honda of American seems pretty adamant about their oil change intervals and they've communicated this with dealers. Time and time again, we see stories from people posting about this (and my own personal experience too), dealers are doing what HAM says - tell customers not to change the oil until the car tells them too. Want to do it on your own ? Go for it. Don't believe what Honda's engineers have tested and validated (that early oil changes are bunk and old-school thinking) ? Change it yourself.
Despite the title "Refuses", it seems more like they informed them that it was not necessary...which is a bit different than refusing.
In fact, the body of the text says they "advised" against early change. An independent shop also advised against it which is very surprising too.

I find it interesting in that most OCIs I've seen from the OEM are miles OR time so here, 4K miles and 1 year is more than reasonable to change the oil out. Does Honda not list a time threshold? Or does this fall under the MM?

Find another Honda dealer, a reliable shop, friend/family or have her do it. That would be the simplest and smartest thing to do, and not have to bother with unfortunate but often typical dealership BS.

In fact, they do. The manual says if it doesn't trigger an oil change by 12 months, to go ahead and change it.
There it is, clear as day then. Just show them that and say change my oil thanks...hahahaa

There it is, clear as day then. Just show them that and say change my oil thanks...hahahaa
I really am curious what Honda says in regards to the 1st oil change though. They may make an exception in that case but only Honda, techs, etc will know. Is @mightymousetech still around ? He's a Honda technician and was one of the people who indicated that Honda is pretty firm on no early oil changes.

The manual says to change the oil (and filter) when the MM says. They don't overcomplicate things. Technical bulletins, factory training, etc are for the technicians, service advisors, etc, not for customers. It's the job of the dealership to relay this internal information to customers when needed, such as a customer wanting to change their oil at 3000 miles.

The OM also says to change the oil after 1 year if the OLM doesn't come on by that time.

I find it interesting in that most OCIs I've seen from the OEM are miles OR time so here, 4K miles and 1 year is more than reasonable to change the oil out. Does Honda not list a time threshold? Or does this fall under the MM?

See Post #28 ... snip-its from the OM.

GM gives you two ”free oil changes” when you purchase a Silverado; they gave me a hard time about getting it changed when I wanted to...think I had 2,000 miles on the oil (first oil change)), and they didn’t want to do it. So I said, I have two free oil changes...they said, yeah but don’t waste them. So I told them, change it and then change it again. Because I’m not coming back. Two oil changes right now.

OM says nothing about engine break-in or the first oil change. Only info about the OLM and the 1 year max on running the oil.

Correct - there are no specific instructions on changing the break in oil from Honda.

My shop, and the moderators at the Ridgeline forum shared the same story - The break in oil is moly enriched by the assembly lube used and they want it in until 20% life is remaining. Basically a full OCI.

Over a year old seems suspect to be prioritizing the FF, over possible fuel contamination to my pea brain.

Rather than call American Honda like a Karen, I would just ask the shop manager how they reconcile the information in the manual with what they are telling him.

I do my own oil changes so I control these decisions as well as fluids and filters used.

GM gives you two ”free oil changes” when you purchase a Silverado; they gave me a hard time about getting it changed when I wanted to...think I had 2,000 miles on the oil (first oil change)), and they didn’t want to do it. So I said, I have two free oil changes...they said, yeah but don’t waste them. So I told them, change it and then change it again. Because I’m not coming back. Two oil changes right now.

?

Do new Hondas even have the mythical "break in oil" anymore? Isn't that old-school?

Rather than call American Honda like a Karen, I would just ask the shop manager how they reconcile the information in the manual with what they are telling him.

Any Honda shop that knows the basics of the required maintenance laid out by Honda would know the "1 year rule" on oil changes called out in the OM/Service Manual.

Twelve months after purchasing it new, a co worker of mine took her car to the dealer for her first oil change with 4,000 miles. It is a 2019 Civic with 1.5 turbo engine. They advised against it on the grounds that the maintenance minder showed 60% oil life left.
She then took it to Kwik Kar and they also advised against it for the same reason.
She now plans to drive it another year (4,000 more miles) then have it changed at two years and 8,000 miles.
Does this seem like a good idea?

Go in and see them one more time. If they refuse ask for the dealership manager and tell him why he just lost a customer. There are lots of Stealerships in Dallas. If you even had to drive another 5 miles I'd be shocked.

Back