Honda dealer refuses to change oil after 12 months

Twelve months after purchasing it new, a co worker of mine took her car to the dealer for her first oil change with 4,000 miles. It is a 2019 Civic with 1.5 turbo engine. They advised against it on the grounds that the maintenance minder showed 60% oil life left.
She then took it to Kwik Kar and they also advised against it for the same reason.
She now plans to drive it another year (4,000 more miles) then have it changed at two years and 8,000 miles.
Does this seem like a good idea?

No. It's her car. She can have the oil changed every month if she wants to. Have her take it to a Indy oil change place and get oil changed. "DO NOT" reset the OLM. Done for now. When the OLM gets to 20% (wink-wink) OR 7500/8000 miles take back to the Honda dealer so they feel like they won something when they change the oil.

Twelve months after purchasing it new, a co worker of mine took her car to the dealer for her first oil change with 4,000 miles. It is a 2019 Civic with 1.5 turbo engine. They advised against it on the grounds that the maintenance minder showed 60% oil life left.
She then took it to Kwik Kar and they also advised against it for the same reason.
She now plans to drive it another year (4,000 more miles) then have it changed at two years and 8,000 miles.

The Owner's Manual should also have a time limit (ie, change after 1 year) over the mileage or OLM. Have her check the Owner's Manual.

No. It's her car. She can have the oil changed every month if she wants to. Have her take it to a Indy oil change place and get oil changed. "DO NOT" reset the OLM. Done for now. When the OLM gets to 20% (wink-wink) OR 7500/8000 miles take back to the Honda dealer so they feel like they won something when they change the oil.

Wouldn’t surprise me that they told her that. Local dealership does that here as well, even more so since March. She should be able to explain it to an Indy place that will do just as she asks...... :)

Ok, thanks everyone for the great responses. Good idea to have her check the owners manual for a time limit.
I'll pass this information on to her.

I couldn't imagine keeping the same oil in a car for two years. I'm guessing she does a lot of short trips/commutes? Even more reason to change it asap.

Ok, thanks everyone for the great responses. Good idea to have her check the owners manual for a time limit.
I'll pass this information on to her.

If I found that the OM said to change the oil after 1 year regardless of mileage or OLM, I'd be calling Honda and letting them know that dealer is refusing service per the OM. Usually, car maker headquarters/corporate don't like hearing about inept dealerships representing their brand.

First footnote on the maint minder page in the owners manual for that car(Page 554):

" *1: If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year. "

Which, some will say overkill, but it's her car and she's following the schedule, they should have changed it. No money in it for them though, I'm sure it is either free or a loss leader, but by the time they're done arguing about it they just could have done it. Probably cost them more in salary tying up a service rep than if they'd just do it.

Jeep dealer in my town does the same thing except it has to be 1 year or 10,000 miles - on Mopar conventional according to the work order. After a year and around 5k miles, I sent it there and they refused service because they stopped doing walk-ins. Literally just an oil change. You scared? Been doing my own oil changes since and haven't regretted it because I can use better oil in it. It is a Hemi after all and they don't like too much idling, or it will eat a cam lobe and lifter.

First footnote on the maint minder page in the owners manual for that car(Page 554):

" *1: If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year. "

Which, some will say overkill, but it's her car and she's following the schedule, they should have changed it. No money in it for them though, I'm sure it is either free or a loss leader, but by the time they're done arguing about it they just could have done it. Probably cost them more in salary tying up a service rep than if they'd just do it.
where can i buy this manual the one that came with the is crap!

where can i buy this manual the one that came with the is crap!

I don't know about buy, but Honda posts their manuals online for all to see for free. You can just save a copy and access it on your computer, or if you wish, print all 600ish pages of it.

It really should be the same as the one that came with the car though. I don't really see how it could be something else?

Last edited:
I don't know about buy, but Honda posts their manuals online for all to see for free. You can just save a copy and access it on your computer, or if you wish, print all 600ish pages of it.

It really should be the same as the one that came with the car though. I don't really see how it could be something else?
Unfortuinly they are not.Thanks for the infro i down loaded it!

Back