Help stop my head from spinning - oil for newly purchased '21 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L

Use the factory spec. weight and type of motor oil and you will be fine. I would not recommend a thicker oil. The clearances on modern engines are designed for the "lighter" weight oils not the opposite.
Engines can be designed to tolerate lower viscosity oils but none are going to be harmed in any way by an oil with a somewhat higher viscosity. Your post above is typical of uninformed fear mongering we sometimes see on here.

Any SAE grade oil is going to get through the “clearances” just fine as long as the winter rating is appropriate for the expected starting conditions and can be pumped.

Engines can be designed to tolerate lower viscosity oils but none are going to be harmed in any way by an oil with a somewhat higher viscosity. Your post above is typical of uninformed fear mongering we sometimes see on here.

Any SAE grade oil is going to get through the “clearances” just fine as long as the winter rating is appropriate for the expected starting conditions and can be pumped.
You really know how to put the hammer right on the nail. I love it when you do this.

Thanks guys.

OK, another question. factory fill. When to dump it? I have ~850 miles on the car and I am already getting the itch to dump it.

On my '05 Civic I bought new, the manual specifically stated not to dump it early, but I made it to ~1,500 miles before I dumped it.

My Crosstrek manual states nothing like that.
I dumped my '21 Corolla 2ZR-FAE oil at ~1100 miles. Toyota doesn't specify this, but there were visible wear metals when I dumped the filter. I would change it after the break-in period. The mileage is denoted in your manual.

The Car Care Nut specifies to do this and states he doesn't care what the manual says. I 100% agree with him.

Last edited:
I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?
Kirkland 0w20 is all u you need

My co worker 2021 subaru forester-helped him change oil using kirkland 0w-20 with OE filter every 6 months/6k .

Back