Help me choose my carry load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
I have the ARX polymer rounds that look like a drill bit, only because I hadn't reviewed the FBI study on why they chose 9mm and why regular FMJ is 100% adequate. Long story short, better shot placement and poking more holes in them statistically works out better.

Bought the same stuff for my Bersa .380 only because I thought it would be entirely issue free as it relates to feeding. Unlike some of the more blunt nosed HPs. Not cheap, but shoots just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I just carry hardball. When I am at the end of my thousand rounds of what I am shooting I use a load from the last box.

What caliber? I carry fmj in my .380 , but i never would in 9mm or larger. FMJ in 9mm can go through and through, not good in public.

Given that even the very best shooters only manage about 50% hits in an actual gunfight, the "pass through" worry is internet fretting IMO. Rarely does anyone mention the other rounds that don't hit the target at all.

Consider how many gunfights police get into nationwide, yet you almost never hear of an officer hitting a bystander, especially with a "pass through" handgun round. Know your target and what is beyond it.

Ball ammo is a poor choice for self defense though it is far better than nothing at all.

Even in .380 I carry high pressure, controlled expansion hollow points. Most everybody would agree that hollow points are more effective than ball ammo. Most everybody would agree the .380 is flirting on the low threshold of self defense rounds. So why take a borderline caliber and further handicap it with ball ammo?

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Buy a box of each of the top 10 commercially available rounds in your caliber.

Use the round that groups tightest.

I strongly disagree. Considering that the vast number of folks really don't do any training in actual SD.... The likelihood of any Decent SD round failing to do its job as compared to another brand is moot. Much more important is actual ability to put the round on target (which in the case of any SD situation can be problematic) and the fact that the firearm does not jam. Practicing with one ammo is the best (safest way to go)...IMHO

In off-hand shooting I have not noticed much of a difference in accuracy of ammo....especially in the range of 25 ft. which is what I shoot at.

I just carry hardball. When I am at the end of my thousand rounds of what I am shooting I use a load from the last box.

FMJs are pretty much the worth thing you can carry in a pistol. In .223 they can be ok because they can fragment (not all styles will do so) and cause significant injury. With pistol calibers you tend to get ice pick type wounds which aren't very disabling unless they hit bones.

BSW

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The .223 fmjs will also tumble which creates a much more effective wound channel.

It can be pretty variable, not all .223 FMJs will fragment or tumble. Know the performance of your exact load before making assumptions.

For example, American spec M193 will tumble and fragment until it loses velocity. European loads that are NATO spec for 55gr may not tumble or fragment at the same velocity because the bullet is made with a steel jacket or lacks a cannelure.

Similar bullets can perform very differently depending on details like velocity and bullet construction.

BSW

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I am torn on what ammo to carry. I need to cycle out my carry loads and I am looking at the following for the next magazine fill. Gun to be carried will be a gen 3 Glock 19:
9bple 115gr +p+
Critical Defense 115gr
Critical Duty 135gr +p
Remington HTP 115gr
Hornady XTP 124gr +p

On a side note, what are everyone's thoughts on the CorBon Pow'r Ball 100gr +p and the Hydrashok 124gr +p+??

Poor, confused, sweet pea. I'm not the only soul here knowing you are one that shouldn't be carrying a gun. Another operator wannabe.

Toros, please provide proof of your accusations. Otherwise you are just "shouting down" others with a differing opinion, which is basically what pre- kindergarteners do. Stompy-foot syndrome.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Toros, please provide proof of your accusations. Otherwise you are just "shouting down" others with a differing opinion, which is basically what pre- kindergarteners do. Stompy-foot syndrome.

What accusations might those be Sir?

Originally Posted By: Toros

This:

"Poor, confused, sweet pea. I'm not the only soul here knowing you are one that shouldn't be carrying a gun. Another operator wannabe."

All you did was put the OP down.

I disagree with the OP's logic. I think you should shoot a few hundred rounds of your chosen carry load, in your gun, with your carry magazines. The OP thinks that because he has shot a box or two of the listed ammo, he's good.

I prefer demonstrated reliability in a carry gun.

But I didn't just dump on the guy...I stated my position, offered my suggestion.

See the difference?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Here is a good case price on Federal HST if anyone is interested.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/10...-le-ammo-p9hst1

And at that price, you can put a few hundred rounds of HST downrange for less than $100.

Saving the rest of the case for carry (which should be changed out periodically) and for testing with your next new gun.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of corbon DPX +p

All copper and great performance through articles like car windows or thick clothing.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Toros

This:

"Poor, confused, sweet pea. I'm not the only soul here knowing you are one that shouldn't be carrying a gun. Another operator wannabe."

All you did was put the OP down.

I disagree with the OP's logic. I think you should shoot a few hundred rounds of your chosen carry load, in your gun, with your carry magazines. The OP thinks that because he has shot a box or two of the listed ammo, he's good.

I prefer demonstrated reliability in a carry gun.

But I didn't just dump on the guy...I stated my position, offered my suggestion.

See the difference?

No. I resonded in another post to the OP. Just use whatever duty load his local PD carries and if it's good enough for them, it's more than good enough for him and his imaginary fire fight which will never take place.

Last edited:
Toros, you can stop being an [censored] already. Operator wannabe?? Did mom kick you out of the basement again? Is that why you're so sour? I actually have had to draw my firearm in SD. Luckily, no rounds were needed to be fired. I was attacked with a knife. The perp stopped once he saw my weapon. So I'm sorry, my "imaginary" fight became very real that day. I already told you what my local PD carries, +p+ Hydra's of they're carrying 9mm. They have a choice of any of the big calibers to choose from, ie. 9mm, 40, 45, 357 sig. I went with 124 gr HST's in standard pressure, with 9bple in the spare mag

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Toros, you can stop being an [censored] already. Operator wannabe?? Did mom kick you out of the basement again? Is that why you're so sour? I actually have had to draw my firearm in SD. Luckily, no rounds were needed to be fired. I was attacked with a knife. The perp stopped once he saw my weapon. So I'm sorry, my "imaginary" fight became very real that day. I already told you what my local PD carries, +p+ Hydra's of they're carrying 9mm. They have a choice of any of the big calibers to choose from, ie. 9mm, 40, 45, 357 sig. I went with 124 gr HST's in standard pressure, with 9bple in the spare mag

My Mom's dead and I never lived in a basement.
I'm an ex-cop. Graduated the NJSP Academy and was assigned to Jersey City, NJ where I spent 10 years on the job. I carried what the State issued ..357 Magnum 155 or 158 grn STHP in my duty gun and Winchester. 38 STHP in my off duty Colt Detectives Special. Men who knew more about it it than I did decided those things and I trusted them.
I'm just telling you what some others here have too. Stop all the hand wringing over carry loads. No need to over think it. Use Hydrashoks ...+p if you like and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins

FMJs are pretty much the worth thing you can carry in a pistol. In .223 they can be ok because they can fragment (not all styles will do so) and cause significant injury. With pistol calibers you tend to get ice pick type wounds which aren't very disabling unless they hit bones.

BSW

I also only use ball ammo. Feeds perfectly, it's accurate, cheap and stone reliable. It's also acceptable when travelling to restrictive states. I think back to how well ball ammo worked in WW-II and wonder why people are utterly convinced it won't work today.

I know all the arguments. The bottom line remains, ball ammo works just fine, and in some situations, has some advantages.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: billt460
Here is a good case price on Federal HST if anyone is interested.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/10...-le-ammo-p9hst1

And at that price, you can put a few hundred rounds of HST downrange for less than $100.

Saving the rest of the case for carry (which should be changed out periodically) and for testing with your next new gun.

Almost the exact price at targetsportsusa.com Shipping is free and no tax. 4$ insurance
I am carrying Hornady Ctitical Defense in my .380. I I shot only 15 but each time I used the same mag and shot 1 and to insure the second round got chambered. While that is not a 100% perfect test the odds are 99.99% that the first one will fire (its chambered)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back