Lets see your home defense set ups and lube choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
A loaded gun is more likely to kill someone who lives in the house than a burglar.

I have insurance. If someone steels my [censored], I get new stuff. People don't break into homes to kill you - if they did, you have some real enemies and should probably re-evaluate some life choices. That's gang/mob stuff.

Good luck with living in fear of being robbed, yet keeping a lethal weapon at the ready for accidental use.

Your opinion is predicated on a specious falsehood. The methodology used to establish the "more likely to kill you than a burglar" is full of errors in logic and analysis. So, no, the gun isn't more likely to kill a loved one than a bad guy, despite the anti gun rhetoric. Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it any more true, but that's the MO for the anti gun crowd.

So, with that in mind, I too have insurance. Property insurance replaces my stuff and if you break into my house, you are welcome to peruse my first floor and help yourself to all the valuables there.

However, I also have life insurance in the form of lethal force. It protects the lives of those in my house. Should the property on my first floor not interest you, and you choose to come up the stairs, you're clearly demonstrating your interest in the people, not property, in my house and I will not let you harm them.

To defend against that threat requires a weapon. Period.

You can choose to fool yourself, if you like, and downplay the existence of that threat. But it is real, and to prepare for it requires effort, in the form of acquiring a weapon and training with it. Look, if you choose not to prepare, I understand. That's your prerogative. It's an unlikely event. But so is a car crash, and hail, or floods, and I prepare for them, too.

So don't criticize my choice to prepare by denying the reality of that threat. You prepare for a variety of contingencies, just not all of them.

Last edited:
I prepare for the unlikely event of being killed, or having family member killed, by our own firearms - by not owning any.

You are free to prepare in your own way.

I prepare for the unlikely event of being killed, or having family member killed, by our own firearms - by not owning any.

When are you going to sell your cars and start walking?? Motor vehicles have a far greater likelihood of killing you than firearms ever will. I'm not seeing you concerned about that?

Originally Posted By: billt460

When are you going to sell your cars and start walking?? Motor vehicles have a far greater likelihood of killing you than firearms ever will. I'm not seeing you concerned about that?

Using a vehicle is an acceptable risk that I take. Vehicles have many benefits to me. I can't drive a gun to work, to make money. I can't drive a gun to the grocery store. Etc.

I can't use my car for "home defense", but I don't see a need to.

You wont see a need for a weapon. UNTIL you see a need to. When some thugs are kicking down your door, and then having their way with your wife/daughters as you are forced to watch, then you will realize that there are in fact dangerous elements of society that need to be checked. And in that instant, you will look back, and see that perhaps you were foolish to be scared of an inanimate tool. Guns are used/displayed perhaps 500K times a year for self defense. Are 500K people dying every year accidentally by a gun in the home? No.

Surfstar - you assess risk differently than I do. You're far more likely to die from a car crash than from a gunshot, but you accept the vehicle risk easily.

The "risk" that you purport for firearm ownership is greatly exaggerated, but it is your choice to choose not to accept that.

The real burden of firearm ownership is the responsibility of the lethal weapon. Most people aren't willing to accept that responsibility and use some form of rationalization to support their choice. For example, you overplay the risk of accidental shooting while downplaying the risk of psychopaths preying on you or yours.

But if you do accept the responsibility of ownership of a lethal weapon, it is considerable. You must train with it, handle it properly, and be ever vigilant.

Sadly, most Americans have an equally lethal device in their driveway, and fail to exercise even a modest amount of responsibility in using it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

You wont see a need for a weapon. UNTIL you see a need to. When some thugs are kicking down your door, and then having their way with your wife/daughters as you are forced to watch, then you will realize that there are in fact dangerous elements of society that need to be checked. And in that instant, you will look back, and see that perhaps you were foolish to be scared of an inanimate tool. Guns are used/displayed perhaps 500K times a year for self defense. Are 500K people dying every year accidentally by a gun in the home? No.

Wow. Its like a FoxNews parrot.

How many people do you know who this has happened to?
How many people do you know who have cancer? Diabetes? Obesity or general health issues?

I have much more real things to worry about. I would sell my guns and move if I felt your scenario was at all realistic.

Astro, and most likely all gun-owning BITOGers - I respect your right to own them, enjoy them etc. I just like to troll on some topics, as others do, from time to time.

I'm also of the belief that if you're on BITOG, you might think things through, like oil and maintenance and are likely one of the responsible gun owners. Not the ones who open carry ARs into Starbucks to show their 'rights.

While I disagree and like to argue my point, you are welcome to your valid opinions, also.

Don't ever take me too seriously. A serious life sounds very not fun.

cheers3.gif

A loaded gun is more likely to kill someone who lives in the house than a burglar.

I have insurance. If someone steels my [censored], I get new stuff. People don't break into homes to kill you - if they did, you have some real enemies and should probably re-evaluate some life choices. That's gang/mob stuff.

Good luck with living in fear of being robbed, yet keeping a lethal weapon at the ready for accidental use.

LOL you live in Santa Barbara....try LA or Chicago or Cleveland......small difference....you are in the heart of fruits and nuts territory....
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
LOL you live in Santa Barbara....try LA or Chicago or Cleveland......small difference....you are in the heart of fruits and nuts territory....
lol.gif
lol.gif

Isn't that the truth!

I have personally been a victim of random violence. When I was a 14 year old I was jumped and beaten severely by four older boys (late teens), two of which were wielding aluminum bats. I have a bad right leg to this day from it, and it converted me into a self defense advocate.

This happened in a small town in Iowa of all places. They beat me...then took my wallet. Didn't bother to ask, just beat me half to death and then took it.

Since then I have had to pull my gun once when some methhead tried to rob me at knife point in a parking lot after work in Des Moines. Luckily I didn't have to pull the trigger as he turned tail and ran immediately at seeing my 9mm.

People who say they don't need a gun are people who have never had their lives held in the balance by unhinged perpetrators. Better to have one and never need to use it, than to not have one and need to use it once.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: totegoat
What happens when people really don't know what they are doing:
http://www.butlercountytimesgazette.com/...ion#loadComment

Here's what happens when you leave liberals in charge of safety...

#1 cause of teenage death in America.

http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats

I was just pointing out an incompetent gun carrying individual. Don't allow idiots to carry is my message.

Here is my message...another one today

http://www.cleveland.com/warrensville-he...cart_river_home

Status
Not open for further replies.