Lets see your home defense set ups and lube choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have personally been a victim of random violence. When I was a 14 year old I was jumped and beaten severely by four older boys (late teens), two of which were wielding aluminum bats. I have a bad right leg to this day from it, and it converted me into a self defense advocate.

This happened in a small town in Iowa of all places. They beat me...then took my wallet. Didn't bother to ask, just beat me half to death and then took it.

Since then I have had to pull my gun once when some methhead tried to rob me at knife point in a parking lot after work in Des Moines. Luckily I didn't have to pull the trigger as he turned tail and ran immediately at seeing my 9mm.

People who say they don't need a gun are people who have never had their lives held in the balance by unhinged perpetrators. Better to have one and never need to use it, than to not have one and need to use it once.

IMO your last statement is to broad. I have been the victim of gun violence and had a weapon discharged in my direction that missed. I still stand by my decision to keep my guns unloaded in my home.

What amazes me is the vitriol that is spewed in this thread when one does not agree with anothers position. Sad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: billt460
I prepare for the unlikely event of being killed, or having family member killed, by our own firearms - by not owning any.

When are you going to sell your cars and start walking?? Motor vehicles have a far greater likelihood of killing you than firearms ever will. I'm not seeing you concerned about that?

Using a vehicle is an acceptable risk that I take. Vehicles have many benefits to me. I can't drive a gun to work, to make money. I can't drive a gun to the grocery store. Etc.

I can't use my car for "home defense", but I don't see a need to.
Funny. My vehicle is a very capable self defense weapon. Now my phone is a virtually useless self defense weapon. Most people rely solely on a phone for self defense. I guess it's all how you see things.

Last edited:

People who say they don't need a gun are people who have never had their lives held in the balance by unhinged perpetrators. Better to have one and never need to use it, than to not have one and need to use it once.

1) I was robbed at knife point by a couple guys in San Jose, Costa Rica (not Cali) back in '99. Got my adrenaline going, but afterwards realized that just giving up $20 and a watch was a pretty simple outcome. Myself being armed could have made it worse. People robbing you want money, not trouble.
Luckily I don't feel threatened in my home or town.
21.gif

2) doog - you should move!

1) I was robbed at knife point by a couple guys in San Jose, Costa Rica (not Cali) back in '99. Got my adrenaline going, but afterwards realized that just giving up $20 and a watch was a pretty simple outcome. Myself being armed could have made it worse. People robbing you want money, not trouble.
21.gif

Of course if you read my whole experience you would see the hole in your argument. You assume too much about the intentions of the criminal element. Sometimes people who rob you just use it as icing on the cake, as I am reminded of every day with this bad right leg. If you read my post thoroughly, you will see that when I was a young lad I was jumped, beaten severely, and then they went through my pockets. They never asked for my money, they ambushed me....caused me a relatively massive amount of bodily harm, and then proceeded to see what I had on me.

The posters who keep unloaded self defense weapons really haven't explained the logic of that choice. Curious what that may be.

Surfstar, your decision to be passive against any and all threat directed against you hoping for a good outcome is beyond understanding. You put your life and future in the hands of bad people.

Some of us choose not to be willing victims.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The posters who keep unloaded self defense weapons really haven't explained the logic of that choice. Curious what that may be.

Surfstar, your decision to be passive against any and all threat directed against you hoping for a good outcome is beyond understanding. You put your life and future in the hands of bad people.

Some of us choose not to be willing victims.

If I even partially tried to explain myself there would be posters who would instantly insult my intelligence, manhood and even call me a liberal (I'm not
smile.gif
) I don't need that [censored].

I have a concealed carry permit. I occasionally carry when I am going to a bad area or holding lot's of cash (for work). So I am not against loaded weapons per se.

In my home, in my mind from my experience it is the right thing to do. So there is my reasoning.
cool.gif

This is a FIREARMS BOARD. We discuss weapons here. Along with their use in various situations, including self defense. This is not a political board for liberals to come in here and start whining and arguing how a gun, loaded or otherwise, is somehow "dangerous" to it's owner. In their feeble, maladjusted minds. If I want anti gun, skewed statistics, along with the stupid, senseless rhetoric that goes along with it, I can look it up. I don't need to read it here.

If someone breaks into my home with the intent of doing me or my wife bodily harm, I have zero intentions of listening to gross stupidity from liberals, on how my cell phone is going to serve me better than a weapon. I'm going to shoot them! Go spread your stupid, total nonsense elsewhere. There are plenty of liberal political forums where you types can wash each others hands, and massage your empty heads with your foolish beliefs.

^^ LOL as if on cue. You used the word discuss but all you did was hurl insults.

This is a FIREARMS BOARD. We discuss weapons here. Along with their use in various situations, including self defense. This is not a political board for liberals to come in here and start whining and arguing how a gun, loaded or otherwise, is somehow "dangerous" to it's owner. In their feeble, maladjusted minds. If I want anti gun, skewed statistics, along with the stupid, senseless rhetoric that goes along with it, I can look it up. I don't need to read it here.

If someone breaks into my home with the intent of doing me or my wife bodily harm, I have zero intentions of listening to gross stupidity from liberals, on how my cell phone is going to serve me better than a weapon. I'm going to shoot them! Go spread your stupid, total nonsense elsewhere. There are plenty of liberal political forums where you types can wash each others hands, and massage your empty heads with your foolish beliefs.

This is an OIL board, of which a subforum is on gun LUBRICATION.
I never brought up politics - you did.
I offered my "home defense" setup and reasons behind it.
Again this is an OIL board, not a conservative political discussion board, so neither liberal or conservative politics should be brought up. Gun discussion, sure. Discussions usually have more than one viewpoint, or you might as well be typing and talking to yourself.

Robenstein - I'm sorry that happened to you at a young age ([censored] unprovoked violence at any age is stupid). I had some threatening experiences when young, but no violence. I'm sure a similar experience would have shaped me differently.

This is an OIL board, of which a subforum is on gun LUBRICATION.

Then I would be interested to hear your lubrication preferences for firearms and why. Not why you happen to think having one is "dangerous". That IS political, and has NOTHING to do with lubrication, or firearms themselves. If you don't want to have a weapon, then don't. Just spare us all of your nonsense as to why. We don't care.

Astro, and most likely all gun-owning BITOGers - I respect your right to own them, enjoy them etc. I just like to troll on some topics, as others do, from time to time.

I'm also of the belief that if you're on BITOG, you might think things through, like oil and maintenance and are likely one of the responsible gun owners. Not the ones who open carry ARs into Starbucks to show their 'rights.

While I disagree and like to argue my point, you are welcome to your valid opinions, also.

Don't ever take me too seriously. A serious life sounds very not fun.

cheers3.gif

Surfstar- I've noticed that we agree on a great many topics, particularly in the financial planning and investing threads that come up.

I'll try not to take you too seriously here, because you are clearly seeking the argument on gun ownership, and on that, we disagree.

I'd be happy if we just stuck to the maintenance, care, and lubrication of firearms...

Glock 19 for home defense. It's what I carry at work and off duty. Yes I have a few AR's and shotguns and other firearms but it is best to use what you are most familiar with and train most with.

You will not rise to the occasion, you can only rise to your level of training. So if you want an AR for home defense great. Get out and use it more than twice a year. But most don't they buy it put a mag in it and set by the bed. This goes for handguns too.

Hoppe's Elite is my lube of choice!

.... People don't break into homes to kill you - if they did, you have some real enemies and should probably re-evaluate some life choices. That's gang/mob stuff.

Criminals breaking into your home are making a clear statement about their regard for your personal safety and well being.

Good luck entrusting your well being to their tender mercies. I mean that very sincerely.

21.gif

Someone entering your home is most definitely a threat, whether you "feel" it is or not. By your logic we should just allow [censored] to help themselves to all our possessions because thats all the poor criminals want, they mean us no harm. If someone has the balls to enter your house, or hold a weapon to you. They are most certainly a threat, and should be treated no less.

Edit
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Glock 19 for home defense. It's what I carry at work and off duty. Yes I have a few AR's and shotguns and other firearms but it is best to use what you are most familiar with and train most with.

You will not rise to the occasion, you can only rise to your level of training. So if you want an AR for home defense great. Get out and use it more than twice a year. But most don't they buy it put a mag in it and set by the bed. This goes for handguns too.

+1 this goes for any situation under stress, you will fall back to what to skills your brain has learned with repetition.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger P95 loaded with Remington Golden Saber hollow points and an H&R Pardner Pump shotgun(Remington 870 clone) loaded with some Herter's Select Defense shotshells.

No night sights, no "tactical" light needed.

I also have a dog that serves as early detection and noisy alarm.

I haven't had a flat tire in over 35 years. So I guess I should get rid of my spare tire.

Or the fire extinguisher! I love my variety of firearms that I have collected over the years. My son will inherit a fortune eventually.

Though I have an issue with guys that's tend to have 2 or 3 "home defense" guns where I know for a fact have only been used maybe once or twice in the years they've had them. Now that may not be you. You may train heavily with several firearms. Great! But you and I both know that is not the norm. %99 of guys who have only experience with a hand gun, go out and buy an AR or AK, etc. Slap a mag in it and set by their bed. That is dangerous for them and their family. I've carried a gun for a living for over 10 years now. I would say I'm very proficient with my Glock. I have qualified and trained enough with an AR and 870. But my new 1911 I purchased? No, I don't think I would use it to defend my home since I haven't had any real time with it. OR the several others in my safe that I know how to use, but have limited time actually "using".

We keep getting ourselves in these debates on here with the same people that we know are anti gun. Can't and won't change their minds. Who cares, just make sure you vote for the right people com election time.

Status
Not open for further replies.