Help me choose 9mm carry ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I hope you are well! I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Performance Center 9mm 2.0 for concealed carry. I've been doing a bit of research on the best ammo for carry. It seems like the big Players are Hornady (Critical Defense) Federal (HST) and Gold Dot (Speer). I think I've researched myself into confusion lol. I'm concerned about stopping power but also concerned about over penetration, I'd absolutely hate to injure an innocent person. The various projectile designs seem to be splitting hairs, it's more the proper grain I'm after and standard verses +P. This feels more complex than choosing the proper motor oil lol. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The one you shoot most accurately/comfortable with and is cheap enough that you are willing to practice with.

A NRA lawyer and carry permit instructor told me that out of 21 times you need a weapon, 19 times just requires pointing your weapon at the thug and they will run, 1 time shooting them with a .22 will be enough to deal with them, and 1 time you will wish you had a 12 guage.

I would try all the major players. Not all ammo will feed well in all guns. I run at least 50 rounds of self defense ammo after my gun is thoroughly broken in with practice ammo. No jams or malfunctions then good to go.

My concealed carry is SA XDs 9mm. My most accurate and 100% reliable is Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. YMMV. Best of luck!

I think any of those big players you have listed are fine options. I think the top priority would be to fine something that cycles in your pistol 100%. If they all work equally well, I'd get the most easily purchased and cheapest so you can buy lots of it and train with it.

This is pretty well-settled.

Look at what law enforcement carries in 9mm and that's the answer.

The first will be either the Federal HST 124+P, 147, 147+P and Gold Dot 124+P. They all have a tremendous track record.

The 9PBLE has an extremely strong track record and is less expensive per 50 than the above. It doesn't have the latest bullet techology like the others but it's rather capable, being that it is a 115+P+ round. Also consider that GD also makes a 115+P+ too and the bullet construction is better than the 9BPLE, IMO. Still, I would be rather happy with either of these rounds if my first choices weren't available.

That said, it still comes down to competent placment of rounds under stress.

Originally Posted by PW01
I'm concerned about stopping power but also concerned about over penetration, I'd absolutely hate to injure an innocent person.

Unless you're good enough to get solid center mass shots in all of your shooting distances and positions etc over penetration is less of a concern than a miss.

Cycle 100% and you have to be able to control it. +P in a compact 9mm pistol is pretty snappy.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
I think any of those big players you have listed are fine options. I think the top priority would be to fine something that cycles in your pistol 100%. If they all work equally well, I'd get the most easily purchased and cheapest so you can buy lots of it and train with it.
Best post here--find a major manufacturers ammunition that feeds well, shoots well, and that you can afford to shoot LOTS of--narrow down to all three of those and you are set. Federal HST 9MM +P gets the nod in all of my EDC weapons.

I like light and fast with 9mmP, and right now I'm working on a case of 9BPLE that I scored at an insane price.

That said, my backup if I didn't have (and couldn't find) the 9BPLE would be the Gold Dot +Ps in either 115gr (preferred) or 124gr if that was all that was available. I've also been happy with Remington's 115gr +P JHP, but it seems like they've discontinued it.

Personally, I stay away from Winchester. They have been disappointing me with their quality and manufacturing choices since about 1991.

BSW

i have settled on 124 Hst . i thought 147 would be better but chronoing it though my sheild the velocity seemed too low to give reliable expansion.

Federal 9BP is what I've been buying recently (standard pressure). The price on it is very reasonable.

Not really scientific, but I've also tried some Hornady Critical Defense with the 115 grain XTP round. Shooting into a backstop of cut wood and soil, every bullet recovered has opened up perfectly.

As has been mentioned, step 1 is to ensure it cycles 100%. I like standard pressure rounds because they stress the gun less while training and produce less recoil which make follow up/getting the gun back on target quicker.

Originally Posted by PW01
Hey all, I hope you are well! I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Performance Center 9mm 2.0 for concealed carry. I've been doing a bit of research on the best ammo for carry. It seems like the big Players are Hornady (Critical Defense) Federal (HST) and Gold Dot (Speer). I think I've researched myself into confusion lol. I'm concerned about stopping power but also concerned about over penetration, I'd absolutely hate to injure an innocent person. The various projectile designs seem to be splitting hairs, it's more the proper grain I'm after and standard verses +P. This feels more complex than choosing the proper motor oil lol. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Any of those 3 will relegate your time being better spent training to accurately place them than quibbling their pros and cons against each other.

Originally Posted by Flashlightboy
This is pretty well-settled.

Look at what law enforcement carries in 9mm and that's the answer.

The first will be either the Federal HST 124+P, 147, 147+P and Gold Dot 124+P. They all have a tremendous track record.

The 9PBLE has an extremely strong track record and is less expensive per 50 than the above. It doesn't have the latest bullet techology like the others but it's rather capable, being that it is a 115+P+ round. Also consider that GD also makes a 115+P+ too and the bullet construction is better than the 9BPLE, IMO. Still, I would be rather happy with either of these rounds if my first choices weren't available.

That said, it still comes down to competent placment of rounds under stress.

I enjoy 9PBLE, but it does offer reduced ability to reach vitals, especially in the event of barriers or an oblique through an arm, etc. Its in the same camp as the 125gr .357 SJHP. Spectacular successes...and failures.

Check out the Federal Guard Dog. It's an EFMJ design, so you get feeding like an FMJ, yet the design mushrooms on contact with any material and expands very similarly regardless of what it hits. I think the Guard Dog ads said 4 sheets of drywall will stop it, so it's definitely not going to over-penetrate.

I tried my .45ACP Guard Dogs shooting into 2 stacked 2x4s on the ground from waist level; it split the top 2x4 in half and was left sitting barely embedded and easily picked out of the 2nd 2x4. I measured it with a set of calipers, the .45 had mushroomed out to .670". That performance, plus the lower recoil of the 185gr vs. 230gr "normal" .45s has had it in my carry gun since they became available.

Winchester PDX Defender 124gr +P
Easily one of the best self-defense rounds on the market regardless of caliber, the Winchester PDX Defender 124gr +P is an impressive customer. It's so effective that the FBI chose it as its handgun ammo of choice. Thanks to its bonded bullet, this particular Winchester round produces fairly deep wound channels. Its muzzle velocity of 1,200 feet per second ensures great penetration on soft targets.

Federal 124gr HST
Long the go-to 9mm choice for many law enforcement agencies, the Federal 124gr HST is an excellent ammo option for the average citizen. It boasts excellent penetration in spite of its non-bonded bullet and above-average expansion to boot. Capable of delivering 364 food-pounds of energy, this 9mm round certainly packs a nice little wallop. Its nickel-plated case ensures glitch-free feeding and ejection when they matter the most.

Magtech Guardian Gold 115gr +P
If you like quicker ammo for your 9mm handguns, the Magtech Guardian Gold 115gr +P doesn't disappoint. Boasting a muzzle velocity of 1,246 feet per second, it's definitely one of the faster ammo options available to the general public. Thanks to 397 foot-pounds of muzzle energy, it's also a powerful round that expands impressively on contact. Lastly, it's a remarkably accurate cartridge with low recoil.

Speer Gold Dot 124gr
Another favorite of LEOs around the nation, the Speer Gold Dot 124gr is an affordable round with highly attractive ballistics. Muzzle velocity clocks in at 1,150 feet per second while muzzle energy is a healthy 327 foot-pounds. The best thing about the bonded Speer Gold Dot bullet is its resistance to core-jacket separation. If you prefer a longer barrel on your concealed carry sidearm, this round is always a sound bet.

Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P
One of the most innovative rounds around, the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P is a cartridge that delivers. Thanks to Hornady's advanced FlexLock technology, this bullet expands rapidly on contact with negligible core-jacket separation. With a muzzle velocity of 1,110 feet per second, it's fast enough for decent penetration. A more than adequate 369 foot-pounds of muzzle energy give it some serious power in the clutch.

Would not want to get hit with any one of these.

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/blogs/news/best-9mm-self-defense-ammo-concealed-carry

Remington High Terminal Performance is a nice one if you are looking for a budget JHP carry ammo that is cheap enough to practice a lot with also. I've run quite a bit of their 9mm and 45 ACP with no malfunctions and it was very accurate. I like the 135 grain 9 MM + P Hornady Critical Duty as well but it is a bit more expensive. I think the Critical Duty is supposed to be superior in regards to penetrating barriers. The most important criteria for me is that it goes bang every time and it is accurate and both of these fit the bill in my experience.

Here are some solid choices. I took into account your barrel length. First a budget offering, then a slightly more expensive offering. Buy a bunch, shoot a lot.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...acketed-hollow-point-xm9001-p-57630.aspx
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/rem...acketed-hollow-point-gs9mmb-p-58766.aspx
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spe...ger-ammo-115-grain-jhp-53614-p-3525.aspx

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a case of the "budget" ammo, shoot most of it, and call it a day. The $13 Federal load is the Canadian over run load. Its actually +P, even though it is not marked as such. $13.99 fora box of 50 duty grade law enforcement ammo is a bargain.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Check out the Federal Guard Dog. It's an EFMJ design, so you get feeding like an FMJ, yet the design mushrooms on contact with any material and expands very similarly regardless of what it hits. I think the Guard Dog ads said 4 sheets of drywall will stop it, so it's definitely not going to over-penetrate.

I tried my .45ACP Guard Dogs shooting into 2 stacked 2x4s on the ground from waist level; it split the top 2x4 in half and was left sitting barely embedded and easily picked out of the 2nd 2x4. I measured it with a set of calipers, the .45 had mushroomed out to .670". That performance, plus the lower recoil of the 185gr vs. 230gr "normal" .45s has had it in my carry gun since they became available.

I like the Guard Dog stuff too just wish they made it in. 380 ACP too.

Last edited:
Shooting through somebody and hitting another innocent bystander is an internet myth. Find me one documented example of it I'd love to see it. Even the best trained officers generally score only about 50% hits in an actual gunfight (things go downhill fast when it's real). That means at least 50% of the shots are complete misses...those are what you need to be concerned about. "Know your target and what is beyond it".

I'll add shooting through barriers is not common with LEO's and virtually unheard of for a civilian. For self defense loads think expansion, expansion, expansion. Bullets do not expand near as well in real human targets as they do in gel. There is a reason Hornady's Critical Defense (aimed at civilian CCW market) is markedly different than their Critical Duty. My agency issues Critical Duty which I still think gives up way too much expansion for penetration, my weapon is still loaded with Critical Defense for expansion, my back up mags have the Critical Duty.

Despite the 147 loads doing extremely well in FBI tests, they have consistently shown themselves to be duds on the street. Light fast 9mms are the ticket. Even the standard 115 grain Lawman load is pretty warm, and readily available and is a bonded bullet with a proven track record.

Ballistic gel testing has really screwed up ammunition selection. We now have countless loads tailored to do well in quasi FBI protocol testing that really aren't the best choice for street use. And guys are actually disappointed when tried and true street loads do "poorly" in gel testing. That's nuts, the load already passed the true test with flying colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back