"Experts" choose 9mm over .45 ACP? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al

Quoted for truth. Think survival (escape route/"duck and cover")

As my former partner would say: Unass the area !
49.gif

Originally Posted By: JDM396
9 vs .45??!! Amateurs!! I carry a 10mm.
I had the privilege of shooting the glock 10mm. Very powerful, I was not very good with it, it kicks, that's why I stay with my 38. If you want to kill elephants, I think the 10mm would do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
The switches are very hard to hit on a live target.

It may be his way of looking at a tactical situation- however, consistent "switch" hits require incredible training. Thousands of rounds a week in live fire against moving targets.

Realistic if you're SOF...

The rest of us, the mere mortals, are better off with center mass, even if it is just a timer...you're absolutely delusional if you think you're going to be making headshots in your first firefight or defensive gun use. The adrenaline alone will degrade your fine motor skills, which affects trigger control and aim.

So, stick with center mass.

You're not a highly trained, room-clearing SWAT or SOF operator. So, don't think like one.

This.

I only know a few true experts. One was killed in an ambush in Iraq, in February of 2008. The other is still in the same line of work.

"switches" vs "timers"

I remember reading about the NYPD stake out squads. Basically a bunch of NYPD officers staked out businesses that were getting repeatedly robbed. And when the robber came in, the cops came out blasting. They got into 250 shootouts (losing zero officers killed) while killing hundreds of armed robbers. Most via ambush. What they found was that center mass hits were dangerous to the officers, as the "timer" allowed too much time, and too much return fire from the suspects. They changed their tactics from center mass hits to head shots, with much better results. They trained extensively on head shots, head shots, heads shots.

That learned from experience, that if you want to survive, a head shot beats a center mass shot.

And with most defensive encounters at less than 9 feet, a head shot shouldn't be all that terrible to make, with some practice..

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
"switches" vs "timers"

I remember reading about the NYPD stake out squads. Basically a bunch of NYPD officers staked out businesses that were getting repeatedly robbed. And when the robber came in, the cops came out blasting. They got into 250 shootouts (losing zero officers killed) while killing hundreds of armed robbers. Most via ambush. What they found was that center mass hits were dangerous to the officers, as the "timer" allowed too much time, and too much return fire from the suspects. They changed their tactics from center mass hits to head shots, with much better results. They trained extensively on head shots, head shots, heads shots.

That learned from experience, that if you want to survive, a head shot beats a center mass shot.

And with most defensive encounters at less than 9 feet, a head shot shouldn't be all that terrible to make, with some practice..

They trained extensively being the key point.

Further, they knew the confrontation was imminent, and so were able to prepare. Mentally, weapon, everything.

I would have a long gun (carbine, or rifle), if I knew I was very likely getting into a fight. Far more accurate, easier to make those shots, higher capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back