Help me choose 9mm carry ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am by all means a proponent of running any load through a carry gun before settling on it as a carry load.
But my guess is the OP's Shield will eat up those 124 grain HSTs nicely and print pretty well with 'em, too.
I've had mine since shortly after they came out -- had to wait a bit to get one, actually -- and it's been a regular little piggy when it comes to gobbling up nearly any maker's factory ammo, ball or HP.

Originally Posted by hatt
HST 50 round boxes are 50% off. Add to cart to see discount. $20 for the 9mm.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...acketed-hollow-point-p9hst3-p-58888.aspx

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
FBI chose Winchester PDX1 147 gr +P

FBI has very extensive test protocols that led them to choose that ammo.

Don't actually know what the standard FBI 9mm handgun is these days, but it's possible that might not be the best performer from a 3-inch barrel. (OP asked about a carry round for the 9mm Shield.)
The HST in practically all variations has done well in the 3-inch barreled 9mms in tests using the FBI protocols. It's certainly a quite reasonable choice for the 9mm Shield, and it's available darn near anywhere.

And when that contract ends they will probably pick something else. The were just using Critical Duty, and Gold Dots. There are a 1000 things that go into large agencies picking ammo. Most of which do not apply to most of us. Pick a premium round with a proven track record. Prove it in your guns. Buy a bunch. Don't worry about the latest FBI contract.

And when that contract ends they will probably pick something else. The were just using Critical Duty, and Gold Dots. There are a 1000 things that go into large agencies picking ammo. Most of which do not apply to most of us. Pick a premium round with a proven track record. Prove it in your guns. Buy a bunch. Don't worry about the latest FBI contract.

Amen.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
Lowest bid is an important factor for large agency buys.

BSW

What cycles the best in the FBI-issued pistols is the #1 determination when bids are received - in combination with style of bullet .....then price-point.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I saw the price at $40 a box and about blew a gasket. No way! But at $20 a box, yes, buy a bunch, stack them deep.

Arrived today.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by buck91
I saw the price at $40 a box and about blew a gasket. No way! But at $20 a box, yes, buy a bunch, stack them deep.

Arrived today.

What are your plans with all of that ammo? I know to shoot it, but will you use some/most of it for target practice?

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by buck91

Arrived today.

What are your plans with all of that ammo? I know to shoot it, but will you use some/most of it for target practice?

Looks like 200 rounds. Enough for a function check and few hours of practice.

That is not stacking it deep.

About as deep as the budget allows! Yes the idea is function test and then back stock defensive loads.

Please keep the conversation about ammo and not personal bickering.

After review I am reopening this topic. Please be respectful to each other.

Good choice of ammo, seems Federal wants the 50 round HST boxes to be law enforcement only. You got a good deal.

Do you guys tend to carry lighter projectiles in short-barreled pistols? E.g. 115g in 3" barrel? 124g or 147g in 4" or longer barrels?

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Do you guys tend to carry lighter projectiles in short-barreled pistols? E.g. 115g in 3" barrel? 124g or 147g in 4" or longer barrels?

My Taurus Millenium G2 is very similar (in looks) to the Glock 26 and has a 3.2" barrel. Handles and fires Federal FMJ 147s best.

But I sure regret not buying the Glock 43 instead. I like my pistols thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back