Help me choose my carry load

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need to seek a decision on which type of round to carry from on BITOG,perhaps you shouldn't be carrying a gun at all.

Originally Posted By: Toros
If you need to seek a decision on which type of round to carry from on BITOG,perhaps you shouldn't be carrying a gun at all.

Aww cute.

Alright alright...maybe I need to restock on some hst. Thanks for the info!!!

Ok you asked.

9bple 115gr +p+ (good stuff, affordable)
Critical Defense 115gr (junk. Would never, ever load in any of my guns)
Critical Duty 135gr +p. (Meeehhhh, slightly better than Critical Defense. Adequate.)
Remington HTP 115gr (lower than junk. Would not use if free)
Hornady XTP 124gr +p (very old, but adequate)
CorBon Pow'r Ball 100gr +p (junk Junk Junk Avoid At All Cost)
Hydrashok 124gr +p+?? (Acts Like A FMJ most of the time. Avoid)

Buying ammo local is not a metric I even consider. I spend $10k (ten thousand) dollars per year on ammo. The local guy never has the best price or selection. Your local guy sells 20 rd boxes, for $20. Online it's 50 rd boxes for $20, for top of the line premium stuff.

Instead of buying a box at a time, why dont you buy a case at a time? It doesnt go bad. You will shoot it up eventually. And you really should run several hundred rounds of your carry ammo through your gun before carrying it. It's like buying cases of toilet paper at Cosco. Yes it's expensive up front, but the bulk discount saves you money in the long run.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Listen up.Save yourself further hand wringing. Just buy a box of whatever the cops in your area carry as their duty rounds. Good enough for them. More than good enough for you.

........Just buy a box of whatever the cops in your area carry as their duty rounds. Good enough for them. More than good enough for you.

This is probably the best advise out there. People make entirely too much out of this whole ammo thing.

Use a round that you can afford to train with! A round that you have learned to shoot accurately! A round that won't mess you up in the dark.

A round that will always feed in your gun.

I beam with pride at the 9BPLE references
smile.gif

I have a few hundred rounds of 9bple. I guess that is what I will load. Thanks all for the input!

I was 'introduced' to the 9m/m as a duty sidearm in the early 1990s. First loads were Winchester 115gr JHP +P+ . . . ehhh, so, so. I still have a few boxes of the stuff for some unknown reason. (note to self - shoot it up!)

Around '95 or so we got the Federal 9BPLE 115gr +P+. It's Federal's flagship and 'bread & butter' defense load. The banana peel (which is what the BP is for) comes apart inside the one shot. Federal never made it a boutique load, nor has it been marketed as something other than what it was. Federal has improved the powders, etc, but that round will do the job if you place it right. It's still widely used in LE circles that use the 9m/m. A few folks have mentioned SGAmmo - and they have the best civilian price out there.

I use 124gr +p gold dots or hst, and also pick up some of the NATO fmjs that's also +p to train with so i don't have to use up all the carry rounds.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
I use 124gr +p gold dots or hst, and also pick up some of the NATO fmjs that's also +p to train with so i don't have to use up all the carry rounds.

Speer's 124gr +P load is on of my fallbacks if 9BPLE isn't available. Remington used to mag a 115gf +P load that was also acceptable R9MM6 I think was the model number.

BSW

Gold Dot 124 grain in any pressure option has been shown to be accurate and a good performer. And as stated earlier, in 50 rd packs at Streichers they're pretty reasonably priced. The Lawman 124gr FMJ ammo recoils pretty much the same way and makes a good practice round.

Federal HSTs are probably fine, but I still could not get past the old issues with the HydraShock stuff.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
Gold Dot 124 grain in any pressure option has been shown to be accurate and a good performer. And as stated earlier, in 50 rd packs at Streichers they're pretty reasonably priced. The Lawman 124gr FMJ ammo recoils pretty much the same way and makes a good practice round.

Federal HSTs are probably fine, but I still could not get past the old issues with the HydraShock stuff.

Go to YouTube and look up some ballistics testing on them. You'll get over it quickly.

I just carry hardball. When I am at the end of my thousand rounds of what I am shooting I use a load from the last box.

Originally Posted By: Al
I just carry hardball.
As a self-defense round (i.e. your carry load)?

I have the ARX polymer rounds that look like a drill bit, only because I hadn't reviewed the FBI study on why they chose 9mm and why regular FMJ is 100% adequate. Long story short, better shot placement and poking more holes in them statistically works out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back