Havoline Deposit Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
With people getting the wrong flash and tbn numbers....I wonder where are you getting them??? Not from Chevron.

Quote:

What does everyone think of the new Havoline with Deposit Shield...I see that in most cases the new specs aren't as good as the old ones. Flash point has went way down (from 450f to 401f) as have others...

It's "shielding" your engine from deposits by volatizing.
liar.gif

What is wrong with marketing? It is salesmanship 101. You try and convey your products' best qualities and high points. Everything is all about marketing and money. What in the #@$%! do you think makes the world go round? Some people here on Bitog need to get the head out of the sand. Comments like It's all about Marketing is just plain ole rumour starting #@$%! and immature. As long as there is truth in the advertising then you need to keep your mouth shut and rumors to yourself.....

Quote:

I think it's a better oil. Improved detergency and shear stable VI.

Comparing the old Havoline to the new Havoline. . . .

Old Havoline 10W-30:

73.5 cSt @ 40C
10.8 cSt @ 100C

New Deposit Shield 10W-30:

65.3 cSt @ 40C
9.70 cSt @ 100C

Why did they go thinner, and is that anything to be concerned about?
confused.gif

Thinner, thicker, for most, it won't make much difference. I DOES however, cost 2.99 here when the old Havoline was 1.99 and frequently 1.49 on sale. New Havoline been out nearly a couple of months now, haven't seen any sales.

Therein lies the difference.

They say it's thinner and more shear stable and about the same HTHS viscosity. That's fine. The add pack has changed. That's not marketing. The marketing is marketing and as usual, the marketing is useless to us.

To those of you who are big users and fans of Havoline, given the choice, which would you choose?

1. Havoline DS at, say, $2.69 a quart (I think that's what it is at WM around here right now), or
2. Pennzoil Platinum at $1.99/qt at PB (after sale and rebate), or
3. Pennzoil Platinum at $2.89/qt at AA (with the BOGO offer)

Not saying what anyone should or shouldn't prefer or choose...just curious.

Quote:

What is wrong with marketing? It is salesmanship 101. You try and convey your products' best qualities and high points. Everything is all about marketing and money. What in the #@$%! do you think makes the world go round? Some people here on Bitog need to get the head out of the sand. Comments like It's all about Marketing is just plain ole rumour starting #@$%! and immature. As long as there is truth in the advertising then you need to keep your mouth shut and rumors to yourself.....

Tell us what you really think...
smirk.gif

Marketing does not prove FACTS.

Most of the time it is to promote a product.

Facts get in the way. Also marketing can make a product cost more.

I'll stick with FACTS.

If not, I'd be running Mobil 1 since its the BEST protection in motor oil. (that is one statement the marketing dept has made).
laugh.gif

I have all the hype-marketing #@$%!, but I love the Havoline oil. I don't think they will screw it up and I'll continue to use it. I have 322,000 miles on my GP and it still runs great. Every vehicle that I've owned and used Havoline in has never had an oil related problem.

Quote:

I have all the hype-marketing #@$%!, but I love the Havoline oil. I don't think they will screw it up and I'll continue to use it. I have 322,000 miles on my GP and it still runs great. Every vehicle that I've owned and used Havoline in has never had an oil related problem.

I've talked to a lot of people that have used Havoline for over 20 years and love it. But they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them it isn't really Havoline. That Chevron bought the name Havoline and not the formula. And that the specs changed when this happened. They don't want to hear it...so if you like it fine...just know that its not the old havoline...and the new DS is different again. But this doesn't mean its a bad thing...I loved my old Gulf Pride 10w40...but I wouldn't want to go back to it now...

I think someone should tie Bill from Utah to a chair and stack cases of Mobil 1 all around him and make him watch Castrol Syntec commercials.
grin.gif

I drained the ASL out early. I wanted to go back to a 20wt and I thought I'd give Havoline 5w-20 DS a try. It's the thinest 20wt oil @100C I've seen at 8cSt. I had 6,500 on the ASL. I really did waste it. The Fumoto Drain Valve makes changing oil too easy. LOL

If I can get 7k out of it without having to add any make up oil, I'll sample it.

Last edited:
Quote:

I think someone should tie Bill from Utah to a chair and stack cases of Mobil 1 all around him and make him watch Castrol Syntec commercials.
grin.gif

crazy.gif

That would be h&ll
shocked.gif

Sorry I just noticed this... A little late though
pat2.gif

Buster, so you like your Fumoto valve? I just installed one on the Subaru so it will be interesting to see how it works.

I wished I could have found a suredrain because I like to drain directly into a jug and the Fumoto with a nipple would have stuck down way to far.
frown.gif

I'm sure the Halvoline will do you fine. Do you keep real close watch to the MPG? It would be interesting over 5-10 tanks the MPG average.

I think after my current fill, I may go and pay more than $1 for a quart of oil
shocked.gif
and get some of the new Halvoline 5w-30 and run it to 7500 miles and get a UOA with TBN. Since I've shown for my engine that GTX can go 5.8k with a TBN of 4.4
thumbsup.gif
(blackstone) it would be interesting to see Halvoline performs.

It would never be as cost effective to Chevron (at 49 cents a quart) but it would be a good BITOG thing to do for others to see...

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back