Oil dipstick on my dirty engine Hemi charger after 500 miles of Valvoline Restore and Protect

Did you have the rod check for straightness and big end resized? I once (back in the 70's) neglected a rod on a valve kiss and paid the price 500 miles later. Only a tiny eyebrow on the piston top.
Replaced the rod and piston on the affected cylinder. (new).

So, would it make more sense (knowing what you know) to run an engine flush to get it cleaned out quickly?
Both heads were replaced, the rockers were soaked in marvel mystery oil for a couple weeks, and the pan was cleaned very well, anything remaining would have been under the front cover or on the pistons, there wasn't much sludge on the bottom end. Pickup tube was also replaced.

Where's the pic(s) of the actual car?
See attached. It was painted like this by the second agency that owned it, likely was a traffic sting car or something. Paint is god awful and peeling so no one get's to see it up close until its repainted :D

Attachments

• 416336757_902713091231623_8445633816876436347_n.jpg
    416336757_902713091231623_8445633816876436347_n.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 231
“Not only does Valvoline Restore & Protect meet today’s engine oil specifications but Restore & Protect is the first and only motor oil in market that actively cleans your engine

from their FAQ

Glad at least someone else can read. I've been trying to point that out.

Of course, they're only comparing to off-shelf competitors and not the HPL/AmsoilSS/RL's etc.

I like the sound of this new oil. Wonder if the chemistry is dependent upon the temperature at the ring/cylinder wall interface for the de-coking of the ring lands along with a more normal ester for more general cleaning.

I like the sound of this new oil. Wonder if the chemistry is dependent upon the temperature at the ring/cylinder wall interface for the de-coking of the ring lands along with a more normal ester for more general cleaning.

Not much information is really known to say for sure. PBR used IV/V with the V being the component that cleans. No one knows what this oil is using.

There's a difference between reading and thinking critically. This is pure marketing drivel and @Foxtrot08 already did a great job speaking to this in the other Valvoline R&P thread.

As @OVERKILL just pointed out, Mobil 1 has had very similar claims for years now.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/about-us/mobil-1/mobil-1-performance-motor-oil/synthetic-motor-oil-extends-engine-life#:~:text=Mobil 1 motor oils clean,oil flowing like it should.
so valvoline premium blue restore was 100% marketing aswell?

There's a difference between reading and thinking critically. This is pure marketing drivel and @Foxtrot08 already did a great job speaking to this in the other Valvoline R&P thread.

As @OVERKILL just pointed out, Mobil 1 has had very similar claims for years now.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/about-us/mobil-1/mobil-1-performance-motor-oil/synthetic-motor-oil-extends-engine-life#:~:text=Mobil 1 motor oils clean,oil flowing like it should.
I'm aware of what Mobil states. Valvoline states that the cleaning they are referring to is capturing carbon, not cleaning deposits. Very different.

Last edited:
"Restore & Protect is our highest performing product in the Valvoline portfolio. While other Valvoline products focus on wear prevention, Restore & Protect couples wear protection while actively helping restore engine cleanliness and protect against future damage by dissolving engine-killing deposits, and meets the demanding requirements of turbo-charged and gasoline direct injected engines."

They're calling it two new breakthroughs

Start at the 30 second mark:

"Restore & Protect is our highest performing product in the Valvoline portfolio. While other Valvoline products focus on wear prevention, Restore & Protect couples wear protection while actively helping restore engine cleanliness and protect against future damage by dissolving engine-killing deposits, and meets the demanding requirements of turbo-charged and gasoline direct injected engines."

They're calling it two new breakthroughs

Start at the 30 second mark:

Good grief. You must buy all the "As Seen on TV" products too. "These yellow tinted glasses let me see the world in HIGH DEFINITION!".

so valvoline premium blue restore was 100% marketing aswell?
Worked so well it was discontinued. Somebody here will probably tell me that's just because Valvoline didn't want to keep embarrassing ExxonMobil with their alien technology that couldn't be replicated.

Never.

Time will tell. The differentiator for me is the word deposits.
If the word deposits is the only key here, Mobil also mentions "deposits" in the link that I shared.

And then there's Pennzoil:

As they burn gasoline, all engines produce carbon, soot, corrosive acids and other byproducts that can lead to sludge, varnish and other engine deposits. These deposits inside of an engine can hinder performance, fuel economy, and ultimately engine longevity," said Dr. Robert Sutherland, Pennzoil Technology Manager. "All contaminants end up in the motor oil to varying degrees, so the question isn't whether oil that cleans is needed, but how well the oil cleans the dirt and deposits an engine generates.
Pennzoil synthetics take engine deposit clean-up to a whole new level because they not only help keep the engine clean, but also clean out engine sludge and contaminants that may have been generated and left behind by inferior oils in the past.

That's from SOPUS in 2012:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ny-leading-synthetic-motor-oil-166280746.html

Valvoline can say all they want that they're the first to ever advertise something like this. They aren't.

If the word deposits is the only key here, Mobil also mentions "deposits" in the link that I shared.

And then there's Pennzoil:

That's from SOPUS in 2012:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ny-leading-synthetic-motor-oil-166280746.html

Valvoline can say all they want that they're the first to ever advertise something like this. They aren't.
The emphasis has always appeared to be more on sludge cleanup, which a lot of oils can do. It's been discussed on here quite a bit that only some oils with higher solvency can clean existing deposits and varnish, HPL being one of them. The off shelf brands are great at preventing deposits at moderate intervals, but lack solvency clean piston deposits.

It could be all marketing, or it could be more.

1704666169101.jpg

As always, the oil won't protect well if the particulate size exceeds the film thickness. I'd consider something other than uber thin oil for such a dirty engine.

Back