5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

When car starts, thinner and diluted oil is a best thing that you can dream about: it reaches all corners of the engine much faster than without being diluted.
What? Seems to be a big disconnect in understanding oiling systems, and the purpose of multi-weight oils.

Last edited:
Anatoly,
IMO, even being diluted for 3-4% oil is still thicker that at 100 C.
Not sure what you're claiming in that statement. And what is the viscosity when the oil is at 100C?

So how can it make any harm? Fuel will be evaporated *before* oil reaches operating temperature.
No way fuel evaporates before oil reaches operating temperature. There have been members here with vehicles that are pretty bad fuel diluters, and the oil level never really goes down unless maybe they take it on a very long highway trip.

Well, I drive from work 40min, and I did oil change and send it to lab after 40min drive. Do I need to find job that is 2 hours away 😀
What lab fuel dilution test standard was used? Some are not very accurate. And what was the fuel dilution percentage? What oil viscosity are you using? Would you want to try it with 0W-16? 😄

What lab fuel dilution test standard was used? Some are not very accurate. And what was the fuel dilution percentage? What oil viscosity are you using? Would you want to try it with 0W-16? 😄

Oil analyzers. Last sample was 5w-30, two before it 0w-20. I am done with 0w-20.

Oil analyzers. Last sample was 5w-30, two before it 0w-20. I am done with 0w-20.
They are telling you right in the UOA comments section that >5% fuel dilution is bad, and can cause increased engine wear. Everything said above is in aliment with what the UOA shows.

1701382384237.png

They are telling you right in the UOA comments section that >5% fuel dilution is bad, and can cause increased engine wear. Everything said above is in aliment with what the UOA shows.
They say excessive idling and heavy throttle, but its not, normal driving and 70% highway. You might think its my car only, but there are number of UOA reports from different people that have the same engine 2.0T with 4-5% fuel dilution, so its not just my car.

They say excessive idling and heavy throttle, but its not, normal driving and 70% highway. You might think its my car only, but there are number of UOA reports from different people that have the same engine 2.0T with 4-5% fuel dilution, so its not just my car.
Yeah, it's a fuel management design issue on certain engines. Can you imagine if it was a short tripper and was using 0W-20 or 0W16? Some bad dilutes will get as high as 20-25% fuel dilution, and the oil level on the dipstick will be WAY above the Full mark. Anyone thinking that's not a big deal and won't cause more wear just don't understand lubrication.

Its more than the heat. 0w-20 can handle it. But with the VVT system may not be about to hande the 5w-30. Also the hydraulic belt tensioner may not be able to handle 5w-30

Seems kinda a rough breakin at those speeds fyi
Tensioner is not hydraulic.
It maintains its own pressure.
Host oil does not effect it.

I'd go 5w-30....but your honda warranty might not like it

Tensioner is not hydraulic.
It maintains its own pressure.
Host oil does not effect it.

I'd go 5w-30....but your honda warranty might not like it

Manual recommends viscosity and does not require it, and from what I gathered, they mostly care about you changing oil and not the viscosity. I will take that chance. Heck, they might give you troubles because its DIY, so a lot can go wrong if your dealer is bad

Manual recommends viscosity and does not require it, and from what I gathered, they mostly care about you changing oil and not the viscosity. I will take that chance. Heck, they might give you troubles because its DIY, so a lot can go wrong if your dealer is bad
You had >5% fuel dilution (my estimate is it was ~9% in your UOA thread) with only 3,800 miles on the car. Can you imagine what the dilution % would be if you ran the OCI to say 7500 or 10000 miles?

You had >5% fuel dilution (my estimate is it was ~9% in your UOA thread with only 3,800 miles on the car. Can you imagine what the dilution % would be if you ran the OCI to say 7500 or 10000 miles?
Yup. Thats why I went up in viscosity and do shorter OCI. I am disappointed in Honda GDI design.

I feel like with that level of dilution you should see an increase on the stick...did you? I short trip my J35 and live in a colder climate than just about everyone on here and I've never noticed anything worse than a little fuel smell on the dipstick. No increase in level. That being said, I run an Xw-30 because why not give better protection and I know that inherently there is some dilution being GDI, even if it's "normal".

I feel like with that level of dilution you should see an increase on the stick...did you?
Maybe when its 10% and 0% oil burn, but say some of your oil got burned off and replaced by fuel, then your net change in oil level is close to 0.

Maybe when its 10% and 0% oil burn, but say some of your oil got burned off and replaced by fuel, then your net change in oil level is close to 0.
That would be pretty obvious when draining and that much oil burn would leave other signs. It burns no more than any other ICE vehicle is expected to due to the nature of the design. Gen 3 VCM isn't known to burn oil anyways, but I do have it disabled regardless.

That would be pretty obvious when draining and that much oil burn would leave other signs. It burns no more than any other ICE vehicle is expected to due to the nature of the design. Gen 3 VCM isn't known to burn oil anyways, but I do have it disabled regardless.
I did not see any change in level with 5%, I go with UOA as the ultimate measurement.

Agreed, 0w-40 euro formula, fantastic product for the $.

Back