Got a safe, where to start?

I have a 380 BERSA Hand gun in my night stand. A loaded clip is in a zippered pouch in a different drawer. Probably ~10 seconds to load the weapon for use. Ed

If you're going to be new to firearms I'd recommend starting out with a .22 rifle and/or pistol for learning the basics. They're low recoil and in normal times when firearms/ammunition are plentiful they're fairly inexpensive and 500 rounds of bulk ammo can be bought for under $20. Once you learn the basics and get so you can hit what you're shooting at then you can move up to centerfire/shotgun rounds which will have more recoil. I've been shooting 50+ years and have, rimfire centerfire and shotguns but still enjoy shooting my .22's. Actually I own more .22 rifles/handguns and shoot them more than anything else. With .22 ammo being so cheap in normal times you can shoot all afternoon on $20 as opposed to 50 rounds of most centerfire handgun ammo for $10-20 and 20 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo for around $8-25.

Last edited:
I have a 380 BERSA Hand gun in my night stand. A loaded clip is in a zippered pouch in a different drawer. Probably ~10 seconds to load the weapon for use. Ed
I always have a loaded Ruger 9E laying on the bed next to me. If something goes bump in the night when I'm half asleep I don't want to be fumbling around getting a weapon out of the drawer then getting ammo from another location. It's so much easier to grab it and flip the safety off all in one action in the event it's needed.

If it that's the only way you're comfortable, well, OK, but I wouldn't keep a gun for defense in that condition. It's not immediately available. It's not ready to go. It's like a life jacket stored in a locked cubby on a boat. If you think you need a life jacket, you should be wearing it.

First, your 10 second estimate is derived from being alert and awake - not a good assumption, so, it'll will likely take longer if you're surprised or woken by a noise.

Next, 10 seconds is a very long time in a defensive encounter. A very long time.

Keep a gun and the ammo separate is like keeping your seatbelt undone, figuring that you can always buckle it if you see an accident coming.

Maybe you'll have time. Maybe you won't.

If you're keeping a gun for defense, and you're trained in its use, then it should be loaded and immediately accessible. When you are out of the house, or even out of that room, secure it in a safe like the one shown.

We recently purchased a house and the prior owner left me a gun safe, because it is bolted down I guess.🤷‍♂️
So where should I start from here? My thinking was first a good, modestly priced shotgun for me to practice with and keep it for home defense.
Picked one of these up for $179.99 ... it was $199.99, but was 10% off for a Memorial Day sale. This thing is pretty nice for that price, seems well made and solid. Ordered a rail LED light for forearm for $25 on Amazon.

citadel_cda-12__big_pic.jpg

If you have an armed home intruder how many rounds do you think he can put in you or other family members in the 10+ seconds it takes you to get your pistol and load it? Think about all these mass shootings and how many people are injured/killed in a matter of seconds/minutes.

there is much discussion online about defensive use of a 22lr firearm. here are two videos concerning a rifle, for consideration...

well I bought a Glock just so I have cred when I say how lousey they are.
Find a gun shop that rents and start with a 38 handgun, then maybe a auto go from there buy what YOU shoot well.
Some guns may not fit you hand or feel "good" try them out.

Rifles and shotguns same try if you can, If you have frienda that shoot go with them I always let newbies shoot my stuff, but I keep the brass for reloading, thats a whole nother rabbit hole.
Lol Glocks are lousy

Thank you all for the responses. After much consideration, talking to people at few gun stores and shooting few guns, I decided to go with a hand gun.

I went with a 9mm Glock 19.
G19 master race ftw

First off, you don't want to be a never ending window shopper when buying weapons. Read and learn what you can, and shop via the catalogs, and simply mark the guns you are actually interested in purchasing. That will condense your purchasing time much more efficiently.

As an example, this very effective video put together by Mr. Costner will show you how to buy guns, and thereby fill your safe quickly and effectively.....

Last edited:
Home defense, you want a home defense shot gun, AKA shortest possible barrel.
Rifles are not good in a close encounter, to easy for someone to grab the barrel.

Also would be nice to have a pistol, if only for home defense a 38 special. Simple to use and maintain. Goes boom when one pulls the trigger, no jams, no limp wristing, no special procedures.

The only definitive answer in the AK VS AR debate is BOTH. Multples of both if possible.

I have not read the entire post, but in case nobody has mentioned it you should start with a
Goldenrod safe dehumidifier. You don't want your guns to rust while they sit !!

I have not read the entire post, but in case nobody has mentioned it you should start with a
Goldenrod safe dehumidifier. You don't want your guns to rust while they sit !!
I know this is an older thread but I agree with blueglide and i would add to also get a thermometer/hygrometer like this to be able to monitor the inside conditions of your safe on your phone via bluetooth. I also set alarms on it so I will get notified if a temp or humidity level gets too high.

6EDD0383-F7BE-43B2-8569-F550728A48D9.jpeg

Back