Got a safe, where to start?

The only Ammo I see much lately is .223 .556 and 12 gauge. Get a gun that you can find Ammo to shoot it. Everyone got a 9mm during the pandemic and the ammo is a rare sight. If you can get 22lr there are some great trainer guns that can help you learn without spending a ton of money. M&p 15-22 is a great way to learn and get good with an AR for cheap

The only Ammo I see much lately is .223 .556 and 12 gauge. Get a gun that you can find Ammo to shoot it. Everyone got a 9mm during the pandemic and the ammo is a rare sight. If you can get 22lr there are some great trainer guns that can help you learn without spending a ton of money. M&p 15-22 is a great way to learn and get good with an AR for cheap

Actually, AK47 ammo (762x39) is more plentiful than those calibers and 1/2 the price of 223/556.

As to the continued knocks against the AK platform, it is probably the most prolific widely adopted gun of any type in history with well over 100,000,000 variants made, using the general design in probably 20+ different platform variations. Used and adopted by nearly every country (including 1st world superpowers Russia, China, and India to name a few) on the globe by both sides in nearly every conflict since invented. From jungles to deserts to frigid climates.

That's called a clue. They are easy to make, ultra reliable, ultra useful, ultra effective, ultra easy to learn, with acceptable combat accuracy. The AK family of weapons represent arguably the best most influential intermediate caliber rifle EVER MADE, or certainly top 10.

But yeah, the internet says they are junk so that's probably correct. lol. This subject cracks me up. Hence why I suggested going over to a gun forum where folks know of what they talk about, rather than internet lore.

Yeah, the AK sucks. lol.

Here's just one of the caches we captured on one of my deployments. The AK was EVERYWHERE in Iraq. This was so routine it got boring.

Here's a recent news article of a gun-running seizure of weapons by the US Navy somewhere in the Middle East. They had more guns than would fit on the deck of the ship for a photo. Mostly AK platforms...

AKs.jpg

ap21129082660320.jpg

Actually, AK47 ammo (762x39) is more plentiful than those calibers and 1/2 the price of 223/556.

As to the continued knocks against the AK platform, it is probably the most prolific widely adopted gun of any type in history with well over 100,000,000 variants made, using the general design in probably 20+ different platform variations. Used and adopted by nearly every country (including 1st world superpowers Russia, China, and India to name a few) on the globe by both sides in nearly every conflict since invented. From jungles to deserts to frigid climates.

That's called a clue. They are easy to make, ultra reliable, ultra useful, ultra effective, ultra easy to learn, with acceptable combat accuracy. The AK family of weapons represent arguably the best most influential intermediate caliber rifle EVER MADE, or certainly top 10.

But yeah, the internet says they are junk so that's probably correct. lol. This subject cracks me up. Hence why I suggested going over to a gun forum where folks know of what they talk about, rather than internet lore.

Sounds like a winner. I haven’t seen huge amounts of 762 Ammo for sale at stores near me, the shortage must be different in other areas

I’m not interested in inaccurate rifles...to channel Townsend Wheeler.

But in the AK/AR comparison, I’ve got a few ARs and recently got an interesting rifle, not exactly an AK, chambered in a 7.62x39. Talked about it here:

Some substantive design changes and improvements. Accurate, reliable, piston operation with adjustable gas.

Having more than one rifle, in more than one caliber, means that ammo shortages are easier to manage. I’m more likely to find ammo in stock.

Asks about a Safe gets a AR vs AK argument. 😂
enthusiasts are our own worst enemy sometimes. guy flees to suburbs, buys first house, which comes with attached garage, asks “what car should i buy?” replies start reasonably, e.g. toyota corolla, and morph into a “corvette or nothing.”

again, spend no more than $200 on a 22lr rifle. join this: https://appleseedinfo.org/programs/ to learn well. see if you enjoy firearms ownership. if you do, great, drive on. if not, stopping at a 22lr rifle with a couple of mags and 500 rounds of ammo safely tucked into a safe doesn’t put you out much at all. “i do not know if you will need a gun, but if you ever do, you will need one in a hurry.”

Last edited:
Availability of ammo definitely needs to be considered when buying a gun today. But I have been able to find most any ammo. And while prices have went up from what everything was costing a year ago, most of it is still reasonable. During the last several weeks I have stocked up on 9 mm, paying between $13 and $17 per 50 round box. I've seen 5.56, 7.62x39, shotgun, and .22.

Around here, .22 is what has seen the biggest price increase, with prices going up 2-3 fold from a year ago. So that may be a consideration if looking to buy a new gun.

Yeah, the AK sucks. lol.

Here's just one of the caches we captured on one of my deployments. The AK was EVERYWHERE in Iraq. This was so routine it got boring.

Here's a recent news article of a gun-running seizure of weapons by the US Navy somewhere in the Middle East. They had more guns than would fit on the deck of the ship for a photo. Mostly AK platforms...

View attachment 57349

ap21129082660320.jpg
the 7.62x39 AK is a trashcan gun that got put out to pasture in the 80s. i’m from ukraine and i have no bias whatsoever, it is what it is

the entire AK platform is obsolete and the russians have to continue milking it for all its worth because they’re broke. the obsolete on day 1 AK-12 got features removed before it even entered production

Last edited:
the 7.62x39 AK is a trashcan gun that got put out to pasture in the 80s. i’m from ukraine and i have no bias whatsoever, it is what it is

the entire AK platform is obsolete and the russians have to continue milking it for all its worth because they’re broke. the obsolete on day 1 AK-12 got features removed before it even entered production

I honestly just laugh at such ill-informed opinions. Seriously. "Obsolete." Get real. You obviously have no idea what you are blathering about in terms of guns, ballistics, or what "obsolete" means. An AK47 is as close to pinnacle at a reasonable cost for what it is does as a person can hope to achieve. Anyone informing otherwise is uninformed or a liar.

An AK47 is as close to pinnacle at a reasonable cost for what it is does as a person can hope to achieve. Anyone informing otherwise is uninformed or a liar.
the AK-47, as in pre-M AK and AKS? they haven’t been made in about 60 years. good luck finding one that still runs.

the AK-47, as in pre-M AK and AKS? they haven’t been made in about 60 years. good luck finding one that still runs.

Many companies make the AKM, and yes, to be technical. They come in many names, generally referred to as an "AK47." I'm sorry if you legitimately thought I was suggesting a $50,000 fully automatic AK47. Obviously a semi-auto AK type rifle, known by many names. It's very simple to find a used or new one, for about a grand. Palmetto state makes the Cadillac of new AKs right now. Or you can get a Yugo model, quite good. Plenty of others.

Clearly this is what is being discussed.

Last edited:
Many companies make the AKM, and yes, to be technical.

My apologies if you actually understood this recommendation to be a fully automatic one requiring special licensing and bags of money. I thought I was dealing with people who might understand this.
lol i was talking about why the AK is still in use by militaries. not about an american budget build, where ARs are always cheaper anyways.

lol i was talking about why the AK is still in use by militaries. not about an american budget build, where ARs are always cheaper anyways.

Not so. Markets fluctuate. And it depends on how much ammo you buy with the rifle. The ammo is actually the expensive prt.

10 years ago, the AR was more expensive than the AK. And the AK ammo has always been cheaper.

Now, the AK is marginally more expensive, but the ammo is 50 cents versus $1 each. So an AK is still the cheaper platform at or above 500 rounds of ammo. And 500 rounds of ammo isn't much. Over the life of say 50,000 rounds of ammo, the AK is about $25,000 less expensive than an AR. Mags are about $10 each for each platform.

For example:
AR $900 + 1000 rounds at $1 each = $1900
AK $1100 + 1000 rounds of ammo at 50 cents = $1600. And this only improves with more ammo...

Also, this point of this is to arm an individual, for typical self defense scenarios; not arm a modern MILITARY with endless budgets and political agendas. I raised it's prolific use to demonstrate it was adopted by the globe, basically. But we're not arming the globe, I'm advising a civilian on a excellent self defense tool.

Anything else you want to prove you don't know about...?

I can hit at 300 with average ARs, not with average AKs. Ability isn't a problem. Sights, trigger, stamped & riveted no thanks. Biased but not ignorant . Thanks for the lesson.
The Kalashnikov is not a target rifle

This is like a thick vs thin oil debate. I really would like a mini gun and all the free ammo I could use.
Isn't that kind of hard to use for home defense? Why not the phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range?

Your first stop should be at the local Police Station or gun store to make sure you understand the laws regarding firearms in your area.

Back