Got a safe, where to start?

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
We recently purchased a house and the prior owner left me a gun safe, because it is bolted down I guess.🤷‍♂️
So where should I start from here? My thinking was first a good, modestly priced shotgun for me to practice with and keep it for home defense.
I would also like to own a hand gun.

What would you guys recommend?

BTW is this a decent gun safe? Looks pretty good to me, but I’m a total newb when it comes to gun and gun ownership.

AAFC1A31-8E92-42B8-BD8D-EE0F3B875CBB.jpeg

That's a very pedestrian lock box, called a "residential security container" IIRC. Quite flimsy but better than nothing. These are typically thin steel lined with a type of fire resistant gypsum similar to blue drywall. They're okay, and will keep honest people and smash-and-grab thieves out. A professional can get into that easily. Anyone with some power cutting tools like a circular saw and metal cutting wheel and pry bar can be in that in 5-10 minutes or less. A thief with a dolly can also walk off with that. The fact it's bolted down, all they need is a saw to cut the floor if it's a wood floor.

As for what guns to get, entire forums surround that topic. But generally speaking I think everyone should have the basics covered and I'll summarize.

* Shotgun - Probably 20 or 12 gauge of reputable maker, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, Benelli, Beretta, Stoeger pumps or semi-autos.
* Handguns - I'd stick with either a revolver by Smith & Wesson or Ruger; or a semi-auto from the following: Sig Sauer P220, P226, P229; HK USP, VP, P30 series; CZ 75 series and P07, P09, P10 series; Glock; Walther P99 and PPQ series; Bersa Thunder Pro series; Beretta 92 and PX4; Smith and Wesson classics or M&P series... You almost cannot go wrong in those categories.
* Semi-auto rifle - AR15 or AK47 should be in everyone's home.

A shotgun is a good idea if you can find some shells for it. Whatever you buy, make sure you can get ammunition first. Jokingly? I say to keep the shotgun somewhere else and just leave a funny note in the safe for thieves. I had someone tell me of a guy who went on vacation and thieves broke into his home and drug the safe out the front door with a winch or something. It about destroyed the house. Imagine a big safe going through narrow doorways and halls.

Why not? Low recoil, easy to shoot, accurate, ammo usually inexpensive, it's the LEGO of rifles, America's favorite rifle. Need more?

OP there is endless info available to you about owing firearms. Because you got a safe is not a usual reason but your choice. Take your time, do lots of research, take some gun handling classes. This is not a good time to buy firearms and ammo. Great time to sell.

Go to a gun store and talk to them . Get some lessons they are lots of fun and you will learn gun safety you will learn gun safety and how to operate them.

What do you want from a gun? Would you like to hunt? Waterfowl? Large game?

Or would you like to try target shooting? Long distance? Pistol? Or would you like to do Skeet shooting?

Or are you looking for self defense? In the home? Concealed carry?

Figure that out first, and then you can get some ideas of what firearms would be good to start with.

A shotgun would not be the first recommendation for home defense. But consider these questions first.

"Hey I don't know anything about guns"

"Buy an AK-47! Everyone should have one!"

Yeah, solid advice.

There's a misconception buried in that statement that suggests the AK-47 (or AR-15) is some ultra high powered dramatic rifle that is hard for a beginner to handle. You will have an easier (and likely more fun) time learning to shoot with an AK-47/AR-15 than you will a 12 gauge shotgun.

They're low recoil and quite fun to shoot, nothing wrong with learning to shoot with one. A .22 rifle is a true beginners gun, but the novelty wears off quickly, and most want something with a little more bang once they get the basics. A .223 or 7.62x39 round is pretty tame in the grand scheme of things. There's a reason these rifles are so popular.

Myself, I started with a .22 target pistol which is fun and inexpensive to shoot. I highly recommend one for a beginner. I quickly graduated to a 9mm, but the .22 still gets plenty of use. When it comes to rifles, I have a .45LC / .410 rifle/shotgun combo that is a blast to shoot (excuse the pun), also a good beginner gun. It wasn't long before I bought an AR-15, and I can see why they have such a following. If I'm going to the range or shooting with some friends, it can't be beat for fun factor, ease of use / maintenance, and not beating you up if you're shooting for long periods. My AK-47 is similar but a little rougher on the shoulder. The ammo for either gun is also very reasonable in normal times, especially AK ammo if you buy in bulk.

Last edited:
"Hey I don't know anything about guns"

"Buy an AK-47! Everyone should have one!"

Yeah, solid advice.
well I bought a Glock just so I have cred when I say how lousey they are.
Find a gun shop that rents and start with a 38 handgun, then maybe a auto go from there buy what YOU shoot well.
Some guns may not fit you hand or feel "good" try them out.

Rifles and shotguns same try if you can, If you have frienda that shoot go with them I always let newbies shoot my stuff, but I keep the brass for reloading, thats a whole nother rabbit hole.

If you want a gun in your home to protect yourself, having it locked up in a safe isn't going to do you much good if you have no time to open the safe. Keep at least one out somewhere in a non-conspicuous place for easy access. Lock it up if kiddies or similar are going to be in the home and you can't monitor them 100%.

As I wrote, there's endless forums to discuss this topic. I simply gave my advice. I'd consider myself an expert when it comes to firearms.

The reason for my view is succinctly this: An AR15 or AK47 is an ultra-easy learnable platform. Ultra reliability. Even at today's high prices, these platforms are very affordable and the mags and ammo are still very affordable. They dispense a lot of firepower in a hurry. And they are quite lethal. For 3 yards or 300 yards, someone armed with either is going to be able to solve any lethal defense problem absent a targeted assassination by a team of trained hitmen.

Oh, and just like ICE vehicles, because the government doesn't want you to have them. So buy extras.

Is that reason enough?

well I bought a Glock just so I have cred when I say how lousey they are.
Find a gun shop that rents and start with a 38 handgun, then maybe a auto go from there buy what YOU shoot well.
Some guns may not fit you hand or feel "good" try them out.

Rifles and shotguns same try if you can, If you have frienda that shoot go with them I always let newbies shoot my stuff, but I keep the brass for reloading, thats a whole nother rabbit hole.

Glocks are "lousy?" Sure, whatever.

Glocks DOMINATE shooting competitions and law enforcement holsters. Yeah, must pure "garbage."

Glocks are "lousy?" Sure, whatever.

Glocks DOMINATE shooting competitions and law enforcement holsters. Yeah, must pure "garbage."
Lighten up all my friends shoot glocks cause they are cheap to buy and are like legos you can add al kinds of stuff to them.
Me Im a old guy grew up on S+W wheel guns with 2# crisp triggers, gas was 15 cents a gallon so yeah set in my ways.

I do like the HK pistols think it was a ? VP?

All my 1911 have 2-3 #glass breaking triggers Glocks are shooting a staple gun.

Nothing wrong them with that but not my deal.

Last edited:
Back