GM to reprogram OLM's to reduce wear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130405...gn=awdailydrive

GM to reprogram some oil life monitors

GM is finding high rates of wear on various components, including balance shaft chains. The plan is to reduce the oil change interval, as testing has shown a reduction in wear with the more frequent oil changes.

Where are all the posters that thought I was nuts 8-9 years ago, for saying these OLMs were a result of GM knowing how to maintain vehicles better than the Average Joe (me)?

So many posters here told other posters to tun their OCIs by the GM recommendations and OLMs. Well guess what -- I was right.

Partially. This OLM change is DI only. My 5.3 in my truck still goes forever on OCI's.

tsduke

My 2004 Colorado (purchased new) was driven 13,2000 miles before the OLM went blinking. I knew that was way off, being the factory oil was Mobil conventional.

I switched to synthetic at that point and made my oil changes every 7K. I would rather drive my 16-18 year old vehicles to their junkyard/graveyard with a clean dipstick and falling apart due to rust, than have the engine fail due to worn parts.

Costs me $27 every eight months for that increased protection, versus $19 every 15 months for conventional. Proper OCIs is cheap insurance with longer lasting results.

Last edited:
tsduke

My 2004 Colorado (purchased new) was driven 13,2000 miles before the OLM went blinking. I knew that was way off, being the factory oil was Mobil conventional.

I switched to synthetic at that point and made my oil changes every 7K. I would rather drive my 16-18 year old vehicles to their junkyard/graveyard with a clean dipstick and falling apart due to rust, than have the engine fail due to worn parts.

Costs me $27 every eight months for that increased protection, versus $19 every 15 months for conventional. Proper OCIs is cheap insurance with longer lasting results.

I wasn't disagreeing with your theory on shorter oci's. Only stating the fact the GM isn't changing the OLM on older engine models. Only the DI.

My 2004 Colorado (purchased new) was driven 13,2000 miles before the OLM went blinking. I knew that was way off,

Agree with the way off part.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
My daughter has 2011 Malibu 2.4 with 70k+ miles, 95% highway. Zero oil useage, 26-28 MPG lead foot. OCI 4K to 5K 5W30 VWB, NAPA oil filter. She uses any kind of gas. Engine sounds like a watch.

Wife's 2012 Equinox 2.4 90% city, 8K miles on it. Zero oil useage, 20-21 MPG. I change oil every 4 months no matter what the mileage, 5W30 Mobil1, pretty sure will change to NAPA synthetic next time. Will change Purolator synthetic filter every other time. Engine takes 5qts. When you shut off engine oil drains out of oil filter housing, so when I change the oil I really get 5qts out. GM said there are check valves to hold oil where it needs to be when started. I use only TOP TIER fuel. Engine sounds like watch.

I asked dealer if the D.I. engines need intake valves cleaned, "For best performance every 12K". Daughter's car has had nothing done to it, except o2 sensor. Will see on wife's Equinox.

Are you not concerned about using only dexos1 approved oils until warranty is expired on your Equinox? Mobil 1 is dexos1 approved, NAPA is not. Just wondering as I have a 2012 Terrain with the 2.4 but will stick with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Bluetrekrider
Originally Posted By: oldhp
My daughter has 2011 Malibu 2.4 with 70k+ miles, 95% highway. Zero oil useage, 26-28 MPG lead foot. OCI 4K to 5K 5W30 VWB, NAPA oil filter. She uses any kind of gas. Engine sounds like a watch.

Wife's 2012 Equinox 2.4 90% city, 8K miles on it. Zero oil useage, 20-21 MPG. I change oil every 4 months no matter what the mileage, 5W30 Mobil1, pretty sure will change to NAPA synthetic next time. Will change Purolator synthetic filter every other time. Engine takes 5qts. When you shut off engine oil drains out of oil filter housing, so when I change the oil I really get 5qts out. GM said there are check valves to hold oil where it needs to be when started. I use only TOP TIER fuel. Engine sounds like watch.

I asked dealer if the D.I. engines need intake valves cleaned, "For best performance every 12K". Daughter's car has had nothing done to it, except o2 sensor. Will see on wife's Equinox.

Are you not concerned about using only dexos1 approved oils until warranty is expired on your Equinox? Mobil 1 is dexos1 approved, NAPA is not. Just wondering as I have a 2012 Terrain with the 2.4 but will stick with Mobil 1.

I think NAPA Synthetic is just re-branded Valvoline Synpower. Valvoline 5W-20 & 5W-30 are dexos 1 approved.

No, Valvoline is not on the dexos1 approved list. Valvoline claims that they meet dexos standards which is different than appearing on the list.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: djb
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

BTW, our oldest fleet truck is being sold with just short of half a MILLION miles with each and every oil change done exactly as per the OLM since purchased new in 2004!

Hey, what are you doing?

Trying to confuse these people that have firmly held ill-informed opinions by bringing facts and direct experience into the picture... This is the *Internet*. Didn't you read the rule sheet?

Consider the truck that was being referenced gets about 50,000 miles a year. With that said, I think it means it hardly ever cools off and there's very few short trips. Do you think that has anything to do with it? I'd say the ill-informed opinions of the OLM may not have as much to do with the long life, but instead that the engine sees fewer cold startups.

It wouldn't have made a difference, it adjusts.

In my truck it typically drops significantly as the weather gets colder.

Shortest was just over 4k, longest 8k.

So if I just changed it at 5k, sometimes that would be to long, and others to short.

tsduke

Cheap insurance?

If you were running a fleet of 50 trucks...it could really affect your bottom line.

If I followed all the "cheap insurance" advice on this forum I'd spend $5k a year maintaining my truck!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130405...gn=awdailydrive

GM to reprogram some oil life monitors

GM is finding high rates of wear on various components, including balance shaft chains. The plan is to reduce the oil change interval, as testing has shown a reduction in wear with the more frequent oil changes.

Where are all the posters that thought I was nuts 8-9 years ago, for saying contrary of OLM readings? Where are these same posters claiming GM knew how to maintain oil changes better than the Average Joe (me)?

So many posters here told other posters to run their OCIs by the GM recommendations and OLMs. Well guess what -- I was right and GM/OLMs were wrong.

A bunch of posters here need to apologize to me.

Yes, Yes They Do. And to me for saying that Hyundai was cheap and backward etc. for their conservative OCI.

bluetrekrider, I personally think the Dexos stuff is a scam by GM. Valvoline full synthetic is not good enough for GM? Hogwash.
Yet there other "syn blends" that are good enough??? Have you looked at the list of approved oils for Dexos1??? I've never even heard of some of these oils.
NAPA synthetic is more than enough for my engines. I have a bunch of Mobil1 5W30 bought for the 'Nox, so I won't need to change brands anytime soon. I also have a ton of NAPA 5W30 syn sitting on the shelf, we'll see.

I agree with you, oldhp. I have looked at the dexos list and there are some strange brands on there, for sure. I'm only saying that I don't need any drama from GM if I should have a warranty claim, so I will be sticking with a brand on that list.

Do you all think GM will have worked out the cause of the reduced oil life in DI engines prior to the public release of the C7? I'm very curious to see how the new LT1's will fare. Also, why is this general problem not more manifest in Diesel engines? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ez051121
Do you all think GM will have worked out the cause of the reduced oil life in DI engines prior to the public release of the C7? I'm very curious to see how the new LT1's will fare. Also, why is this general problem not more manifest in Diesel engines? Thanks!

Note that V8 engines in GM's lineup have been exempt from OLM issues. Follow the OLM and enjoy nearly unlimited engine life.

Originally Posted By: tsduke
tsduke

I wasn't disagreeing with your theory on shorter oci's. Only stating the fact the GM isn't changing the OLM on older engine models. Only the DI.

I have had our fleet Silverados go almost 14k miles in highway driving. Our vans rarely get past 4000 miles. The OLM is quite respectable for V8's.

Our oldest engine has just shy of half a MILLION miles with no leaks, no smoke, etc. It was purchased new in 04 and has always been serviced via the OLM.

Plucking an argument that's been gelling for a while, from a number of threads, and bearing in mind the fact that accelerated age testing is NOT how engines are operated, and not representative, pushing the "development" aspects onto the end consumer.

These oil life monitors can't be calibrated against real world operation from their initial development, as 100,000 mile Granny drove it to church every sunday two blocks down isn't doable in testing.

I surmise that the hot and heavy end, high speed touring, loaded cross country etc. is very easy to calibrate for, as it's a test that can be carried out in a realistic time frame, in a reasonable number of runs.

Should be easy to calibrate a taxi, on engine hot time etc.

If the issue is chain wear, and chain wear isn't really due to hydrodynamics, but additives and contaminants, then it's probably the Granny drivers over long periods that need recalibrating.

...based on what's happening with real engines, aged in real world situations, in real time...with the buying public doing the testing.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Plucking an argument that's been gelling for a while, from a number of threads, and bearing in mind the fact that accelerated age testing is NOT how engines are operated, and not representative, pushing the "development" aspects onto the end consumer.

These oil life monitors can't be calibrated against real world operation from their initial development, as 100,000 mile Granny drove it to church every sunday two blocks down isn't doable in testing.

I surmise that the hot and heavy end, high speed touring, loaded cross country etc. is very easy to calibrate for, as it's a test that can be carried out in a realistic time frame, in a reasonable number of runs.

Should be easy to calibrate a taxi, on engine hot time etc.

If the issue is chain wear, and chain wear isn't really due to hydrodynamics, but additives and contaminants, then it's probably the Granny drivers over long periods that need recalibrating.

...based on what's happening with real engines, aged in real world situations, in real time...with the buying public doing the testing.

Very well said!

It has always been this way. God bless the Beta testers!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

It has always been this way.

Yes, and it will continue to be that way. The thought of being one of the unknowing testers that comes up on the short end of the stick after the warranty ends is scary "for me" though. Imagine for the sake of discussion when the oil should have been changed at 5K intervals, based on UOA, the unknowing tester follows the OLM and goes to 10K based on it tripping at 10K. After all the mfg did the testing of the OLM, it should be good. A year after the warranty is up the engine develops a knock and dies. Oh well. I realize the percentage might be small, but I for one sure wouldn't want to be a member of that elite group. As I can tell from this thread opinions vary, this is just my
49.gif

I use M1 10W-30 in my Ford trucks AND I change at 5000. UOA's are always great and I have one truck pushing 300K right now. With no oil use between changes.

Contrast that with many who use thinner oils... don"t change often...and have wear/oil consumption issues. Even on the very same vehicles. In fact I have a great example: Franks 2.9L Ford ate a camshaft while mine did not. We both live in the same 'hood and both purchased at the same time. I used M1 with freq changes and he did not.

I'm all for scientific testing. However sometimes real world results matter more. Fact: the use of a quality synthetic coupled with frequent oil changes will result in long engine life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back