Tom Torbjornsen & the 3000 mile oil changes.. Duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is It Really Necessary to Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles?
Posted on April 21st, 2011 by WarrantyDirectBT

tomtThis weekly feature for Warranty Direct about car repair and maintenance is written by Tom Torbjornsen, the popular host of America’s Car Show on satellite radio.

The 3,000-mile oil change has gone the way of the dinosaur. What do I base this statement on given my staunch support of the 3,000-mile oil change for so many years? Today oils and lubricants are so much better compared to several years ago. Under normal driving conditions, viscosity breakdown (viscosity is the oil’s ability to flow and lubricate) usually occurred at about 3,000 miles. The elements that cause deterioration of oil are heat, friction, chemical contamination, and oxidation. In recent years the petroleum companies, working hand-in-hand with carmakers, have developed stronger additive packages that address these factors. Today, oil is tougher and holds up much better under the rigors of the internal combustion engine environment.

Additionally, leaders in synthetic oil development like AMSOIL and Mobil One have come up with “super oils” in their full and semi-synthetic oil products.

Game Changer

About ten years ago GM introduced their OLM (Oil Life Monitor). This was a game changer for the industry. Essentially, GM told their customers to simply follow the dictates of the oil life monitor light on the dashboard to decide when to change the oil. Auto service departments across the nation raised a brouhaha that resonated in Automotive Heaven! Follow the dictates of a light? “Absurd” they cried! How can the vehicle itself know when to change the oil? Based on what? Ludicrous!

A few years later, Ford issued revised oil change drain interval recommendations: Every 7,500 miles for normal service, and 5,000 miles for severe service.

Again, traditionalists cried “Outrageous!” “Ridiculous!”

Cry as they may, I think that the “proof is in the pudding.” How credible are the extended drain interval recommendations? How about this for credibility: The carmakers stand behind their warranty if a vehicle comes into the dealership with a failed engine and the owner/operator shows proof of regular oil change intervals according to factory-recommended extended oil drain intervals. End of story.

I think it would be wise to explain the GM OLM so that you understand how the system works, and consequently you will know you can trust it.

What is the GM OLM?

The GM OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is a system designed to calculate remaining oil life in your car’s engine. The system is based on a computer algorithm that measures the serviceable oil life based on three criteria: crankcase temperature, combustion chamber events (work the engine does), and moisture (which is affected by environmental as well as internal temps and conditions). These three elements are what determine engine oil life. The system is able to calculate the serviceable engine oil life to within (+) or (-) 5 percent.

Can I trust the GM OLM?

Yes, GM engineers have tested the OLM extensively in both laboratory and real world settings since 1984. As a matter of fact, GM has so much faith in the OLM system that they have issued a new “Simplified Maintenance Schedule.” Simply stated regarding oil changes, you follow the dictates of the OLM light.

The following is a quote from Peter Lord, the executive director of GM Service Operations:
“Customers don’t have to worry about deciding when it’s the best time to change their engine oil because our Oil Life System technology adapts to their driving conditions and habits, and determines the right interval. Since the new maintenance schedule is based on oil change intervals determined by this technology, customers can save time and cost.”

Finally, in the event that you file a warranty claim for the engine, the dealer will be able to determine that the oil changes were done according to the dictates of the OLM and therefore will be able to exonerate you from any denial of a warranty claim.

What are some benefits of the GM OLM?

Use of the GM OLM will often double or even triple the oil change interval for a typical vehicle when compared to the 3,000-mile oil change. The GM OLM will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits, and the climate/environment in which the vehicle is operated.
For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles (in some models). On the other hand, short trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil change to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GM OLM will indicate an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. GM data shows the OLM extends oil change intervals without risks to the engine, saving you money in oil changes.

Savings realized using extended drain intervals

Say you drive 20,000 miles a year, which is above average. If you change oil according to the old recommendation of every 3,000 miles, you will spend on average of $210.00 annually for oil changes (based on $35.00 per oil change for regular oil). Following the extended drain interval for normal service recommendations for Ford at 7500 miles, you can expect to save $116.55 over a year. If you follow the dictates of GM’s OLM, which comes out to approx every 6,000 miles, you can expect to save $93.45 annually.

Synthetic Motor Oil

Synthetic motor oil was first introduced by AMSOIL corp in 1972; Mobile One came on the scene about a year later. Good quality synthetic motor oil, while it is not inpervious to, is highly resistant to viscosity breakdown from heat, friction, oxidation, and chemical contamination. Why? Because of the purer base stock oil used as a foundation coupled to a vigorous chemical additive package added in the final formulation. Synthetic motor oil is more expensive than regular petroleum oil at the outset. But because of the extended drain intervals it’s actually cheaper to use in the long run than regular petroleum oil. Typically, good synthetic motor oil has a drain interval of 7,500 miles for semi-synthetic blend and 20 – 25K miles for full synthetic motor oil. Much longer drain intervals have been recorded but I am not comfortable with going much beyond these intervals. Also, I am only quoting AMSOIL and Mobile One drain intervals, as these are the number one and two oils respectively. For more info about AMSOIL online go to: www.thelubepage.com and for Mobile One: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Home/Homepage.aspx.

Til’ next time…Keep Rollin’

Find Tom’s new book, “How To Make Your Car Last Forever” in local Barnes & Nobel, Borders, and Walden booksellers. Find it online at Amazon.com.

For more articles by Tom Torbjornsen, visit AMERICA’S CAR SHOW web site: www.americascarshow.com

Tom Torbjornsen is an automotive expert of 37 years. An automotive journalist in good standing with the IMPA (International Motor Press Association) and MPG (Motor Press Guild), Torbjornsen is the Repair and Maintenance Editor for AOL Autos, At Home Portals, and many other websites. Hear his radio show AMERICA’S CAR SHOW, on the SSI Radio Network Saturdays at noon and on Sirius XM Satellite Radio Channel – Stars Too – Sirius 108 and XM 139; Sunday afternoons – 5PM EST, listen to the show on the live stream during regular show times at www.americascarshow.com. Send your car questions to his website at: www.americascarshow.com.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! Neat article for the most part and hooking us up with how to follow up on the guy radio wise. The part about the additives in the oil especially synthetic, where some have alot less than before re. SN. And with the DI engines causing fuel dilution makes some of this oci needing a up date especially the GM cars.In addition a subject covered alot, the saving re dino/syn and the miles envolved. The striped down additives & moving toward cheaper additives plus the stuff that you cannot see, makes for me still to consider this with a grain of salt. For example look what SN did to Edge!The new need of Subaru is now a 0-20 with the 2012 Forester and the stealer is getting $80 for a oil change.

I really didn't read the whole thing (hey I'm being honest
grin2.gif
) But have you guys noticed the press and the additive manufacturers giving Amsoil credit for leading the trend? About time.
grin2.gif

If you choose a good synthetic oil and follow the OLM, you won't have oil related problems. If you choose a conventional oil, there have been a couple limited cases where the algorithm was not quite dialed in and the oil got beat pretty well, and the engines, well they looks nasty in these cases.

All my cars have them but i pay as much attention to them as an insane relative. They have been proven wrong more than a few times and caused a lot of damage in the bargain.

Originally Posted By: Trav
All my cars have them but i pay as much attention to them as an insane relative. They have been proven wrong more than a few times and caused a lot of damage in the bargain.

I agree with you Trav. I know that my FX4 OLM is only a mileage counter, for without fail when it reaches 7400 miles (assuming that I reset it) it will begin to nag me that my oil will need to be changed soon. I would much rather follow my UOA trending that gives a true picture of the health of the oil versus the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
grin2.gif
) But have you guys noticed the press and the additive manufacturers giving Amsoil credit for leading the trend? About time.
grin2.gif

I couldn't believe no mention of Pablo!

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Originally Posted By: Pablo
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

I couldn't believe no mention of Pablo!

Does Pablo offer his services as an oil expert to popular radio talk shows? If not... opportunity being wasted.

"Today we have a special guest, The Infamous Pablo, to answer your questions about motor oil and other stuff!"

"Does Pablo offer his services as an oil expert to popular radio talk shows? If not... opportunity being wasted.

"Today we have a special guest, The Infamous Pablo, to answer your questions about motor oil and other stuff!"
------------------------------

I think Pablo prefers to be referred to as notorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back