GM, California to Bust ‘3,000 Mile Myth’

Status
Not open for further replies.
It ain't no myth, if your oil is contaminated and needs to be dumped at 3k.

The majority of modern cars could go 5000 on normal oil without one issue whatever. 3000 is outdated, and it's time for oil companies to also promote 5000 as the new minimum.

where's merkava4 when you need him?
grin2.gif

I've been doing 5k oci for almost ten years now with dino oil,no problems whatsoever.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-204838.html

I'm wondering that this car has to go every 5000 miles (8000km) to an oil change and every 10000 miles (16100km) to a more or less minor/major service. I already asked VW USA about this but there where not able to give me an explanation. They recommended to ask VW Germany. I sent them an email but they didn't answered yet. So maybe one of you guys can give me an answer on my question. You can get the same oil quality than in Germany. The wearout of engine, breaks and other wear parts should be much less than in Germany because you drive slower and the acceleration time is shorter. The same engine (with slighty different horse powers) is used in different kind of German Volkswagen cars (New Beetle, Passat, Bora, Sharan, Golf III, Golf IV) and Audi cars (TT,A3,A4,A6) , too. Most is these car have at least every 15000km (9300 miles) oil change and every 30000km (18600 miles) minor/major service or "LongLife" service with much less service intervalls (The maximum length of time between services can be 24 months or 30,000 km (20,000 miles) for standard ignition engines and 50,000 km (30,000 miles) for diesel engines)

atomicalex - The answer is that in the US, VWoA specified a petroleum-based engine oil which does not hold up to the mileage interval of 10K. So we have to change more often. If you use a synthetic-based oil, you probably can go the longer interval. The synthetic oils are the standard in Europe, so it is not so much of an issue. Here, people are cheap and want the cheapest oil for the car, regardless of what will keep it running. I warn everyone (I'm a chemist who works with oils) - use a synthetic oil regardless of the interval in the 1.8T. You will have problems otherwise.

niels81nrw - In Germany for the Volkswagen/Audi 1.8T engine they normally use 5W40 or 0W40 for the 15000km oil change interval. But 5W40 is still ok.
And as I can see you can get this oil here, too and it is cheaper than in Germany. :cry:
And I thought the Volkswagen Dealer use something like "high"-quality oil and not a petroleum-based engine oil. :Yikes:
That's really strange ... :hmmm:
Why shouldn't you use synthetic oil in an 1.8 Turbo engine? Synthetic oil as actually better flow characteristic than half-synthetic oil and better for "High-performance engine". For example in the DTM (car racing) Audi uses a 0W40 oil.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
It ain't no myth, if your oil is contaminated and needs to be dumped at 3k.

But unless you have a UOA, how would you know its contaminated at 3,000 miles?

If it smells strongly like gasoline,then it's contaminated with fuel. The point is, each owner's car and driving is unique and so is the oci.

The leading consumer magazine did some testing and found cars could go 6000 miles OCI with no appreciable wear using a good dino oil (not the 40 weight nondetergent in the two gallon jug).

Originally Posted By: Dominic
and it's time for oil companies to also promote 5000 as the new minimum.

And lets be fair. QuakerState/Pennzoil and others push the 3K oil change. So do car dealers with a 'wink' from the car manufacturer, the quick/lube joints who are Oil Company stooges. They are all in this together. JoeSixpack is going along with the whole scam.

Well, to be totally honest, even given my son's familiarity with my activities ...a living (albeit imperfect) database that works weekend after weekend attempting to transplant wisdom from where it was hard earned to where it can be used in advance of the experience base required in acquiring it via the hard way, I often scratch my head on what would be the "wisest" blanket recommendation for the rolling public vs. what's the most sensible one. How can you come up with ONE STATEMENT of 25 words or less???

That is, out of 100 average, randomly encountered, consumers ..how many could you give one recommendation that would serve all of them with the least incidence of failure? 10% will fail regardless (1% of them will do it on purpose). So many will be over maintaining their engines ..so many will be just right ..so many will be getting by just by the fact that they really need 3k/3m ..but manage 6k/6m ....

Now once you move above the typical herd sampling, then you're dealing with "a person". A person can be smart, but people are not.

..so I'd say that as a corporation ..and exposure to liability ..in our society ..
21.gif

Consumers are children and parenting them can be just as much a "code of good conduct for most likely outcomes" as it can be a conflict of interest for profitability. aka: nanny state contours in commerce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back