Oil Choice for Lowest Wear On Engine Timing Chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what it is with GM and overhead cam engines
21.gif
They've managed to nail the pushrod mill while buggering up multiple OHC ones that have become almost infamous due to their issues. Both the Northstar and the 3.6 come to mind.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I don't know what it is with GM and overhead cam engines
21.gif
They've managed to nail the pushrod mill while buggering up multiple OHC ones that have become almost infamous due to their issues. Both the Northstar and the 3.6 come to mind.

Glad someone else said it...

So what would be best going forward on this engine? I was thinking of using brake cleaner and seafoam to spray down timing area and cams to try and get some gunk off, that will end up in the oil pan, flush that out. Big pan under the oil pan drain with a solvent pump and hose, use a brush and varsol to clean those areas as well and flush out the oil pan. Spray intake valves with seafoam since their gummed up from ingesting oil.
Were replacing the power steering pump, water pump, timing chains, tensioners, guides, and all gaskets. Cheap oil and a new filter, put a 10min engine flush in the oil, probably the amsoil brand, run it for 10min and drain. Change oil and filter, maybe flush again. Then put a good filter and synthetic oil back in.
Then what else? Is extra moly oil going to help the sprockets from getting mashed? Would a bypass filter help? Use one of those 10min flushes at every oil change?
Increased airflow for the crancase venting and a catch can is supposed to help a lot with the oil getting into the intake, might do that. The suction side of the pcv system is not plugged but draws so little air that oil is being pushed up the fresh air inlet hose.

For maximum timing chain life you need 5% sperm whale oil in the mix. It kept our rear-ends friction free for decades.
31.gif

I replaced my timing chain kit (water pump, oil pump, tensioner, chain, front main seal, etc.) on my 1993 Toyota 4 cylinder truck 5 years ago and though less mileage than yours at 156,000 miles, the engine was clean. We bought it brand new in 1993 and it was raised on Amsoil and Mobil 1 motor oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back