FAQ's from a GM Regional Service Manager about OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to post this as an interesting article but it is not an article, so here it goes. Moderators, please feel free to move to this another forum if it is not appropriate here. This was sent to me without a confidential, secret or copyrighted label so I feel that it is OK to post it here. I have removed two charts that were labelled as confidential. One was titled: "Oil Degradation: Industry oil tests" and the other "Basics of the Oil Life System: How it Works". I will post the rest of the paper in its entirety and add some of my own comments at the beginning.

Some interesting passages:
"Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have long understood mileage is not a fundamental factor in oil degradation."
"Mileage is not a fundamental factor effecting oil life."
"It is important to note that even @ 0% oil life remaining there is a 20% safety factor."

Please also note this passage: "How is degradation of motor oil determined?
Degradation of oil is determined by chemical analysis. Color and smell are generally not useful in determining oil condition." I take this to mean that chemical analysis was used to "tune" the OLM, not that the OLM on individual vehicles uses chemical analysis to determine oil degradation once on the vehicle.

Paper:
Engine Oil and Oil Life System Information

What is engine motor oil?
Engine oil is made up of two components:
1. Base Stock (oil)
a. Mineral
b. Synthetic
2. Additives
a. Turn base oil into lubricant
b. Different additives for different purposes- antioxidants, anti-wear agents, dispersants, detergents, friction modifiers, pour point depressants, etc.

What is the history of Motor Oil enhancements?
• 1953: Detergent oils were introduced.
• 1962- 1968: Four (4) Multi-Service (MS) categories were introduced
• 1970: American Petroleum Institute (API) created “S” categories
o SA= Non-detergent (ND) straight mineral oil (not for use in automotive applications
o SB= Non-detergent (Inhibited oil only- not for use in automotive applications
o SC= Older MS oils
o SD= 1968 MS oil
o SE= 1972 MS oil
o SF= 1980 MS oil
o SG= 1989 MS oil
• 1993: GF1 specification created
• 1997: GF2 specification created
• 2001: GF3 specification created
• 2004: GF4 specification created
• 2010: GF5 specification to be introduced
The introduction of each specification category has resulted in progressively higher quality oils.

What is the North American Market for Motor Oil (2006 data)?
• Total market= 757 million gallons a year
• This equals over 2.2 billion quarts of oil per year
• If the quart bottles were stacked end to end they would be 418,000 miles high or 1.75 times the distance of the earth to the moon

What is the market trend?
Movement toward synthetic oil (By 2009 synthetic & specialty oils will likely to
account for over 20% of motor oil sold. Note: All 2008 model Cadillac will be
factory filled with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.

What is the history of GM Engine Oil Life System (OLS)?
Testing of the system began in 1983 on Chevrolet Corvettes. OLS was first
introduced in 1988 on some Oldsmobile models. GM began installing
OLS on the majority of product lines in 2003 and introduced
GM Simplified Maintenance (M1 & M2) in 2004.

Oil Life System vs. mileage?
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have long understood mileage
is not a fundamental factor in oil degradation. Ideally oil drain intervals
would be determined by the fundamental factors that effect oil degradation.

What are the fundamental factors that influence oil life?
• Primary factor: Engine combustion events
• Secondary factor: Engine oil temperature
Mileage is not a fundamental factor effecting oil life.

What are factors that influence oil drain interval mileages?
• GMOLS calibrations: More allowed engine revolutions result in increased mileage
• Vehicle build: Transmission gear ratios, final drive/rear axle ratios, tire size
• Customer use: Highway, city, trailer towing, extreme short trips

How is degradation of motor oil determined?
Degradation of oil is determined by chemical analysis. Color and smell are generally
not useful in determining oil condition.
(Missing Chart #1)
How does GM OLS work?
(Missing chart #2)
*It is important to note that even @ 0% oil life remaining there is a 20% safety factor.

What is the average oil drain interval for GM vehicles?
The average sales weighted oil drain interval in 8500 miles. If all customers
followed the OLS, we would save an estimated 7,000,000 gallons of oil
annually.

Does GM recommend the use of oil additives to increase oil life?
No- The statement in our owner manuals reads- “Do not add anything to
your oil. The recommended oils with the starburst symbol that meet the
GM Standard (GM6094M) is all you need for good performance and engine
protection.

What is a motor oil “Starburst”?
In 2003, auto and oil industry experts developed a new standard that provides a
significant upgrade from previous motor oils. Oils meeting the new standard provide:
• Improved oxidation resistance (less oil thickening)
• Improved deposit protection
• Better wear protection
• Better low temperature performance over the life of the oil
• Helps protect the environment by extending life of emission systems and conserving energy.
It is easy to identify these oils by the “Starburst” certification label.

What does the future hold?
Extended engine oil drain intervals
• Customer demand
o Reduced maintenance
o Convenience
• Environmental benefits
o Reduced used oil handling & disposal
o Conserve petroleum resources
• Competitive pressures
o Some European companies already at 20,000 mile changes
• Competitive advantage
o Maintain GM’s leadership position without compromising engine durability.

I will try to explain as much as I can. Chart 1 shows two bell curves. One curve represents oils from the 1950s it is about half the size of the larger curve which represents current oils. It demonstrates that oil life is mainly dependent upon two factors: # of combusion events and oil temperature. The old oils "lasted" almost exactly half as many combustion events as the current oils do and the temperature range was smaller than current oils (about 62C to 138c v. 50C to 173C). The chart shows what type of oil degradation occurs at each temperature and # of events level. For example, extremely low temp and low # of events = rust, extremely low temp and high # of events = contamination; low temps and even higher # of events = classic sludge; high temps and very high # of events = varnish; even higher temps and high # of events = oxidation; finally, extremely high oil temps and moderate # of events (beyond limit of old oil but below # of events limit of current oil) = high temp sludge/viscosity increase.
The chart shows the "sweet spot" of oil temperature to be almost exactly 110C although there is a range of about 105C-118C that is basically about where the maximum oil life would be.

It does not say whether the oil is mineral or synthetic, what weight, brand, etc. I assume the point of the chart is to say that "current" oils last twice as long and operate at higher temps as older ones and resist the above "degradation" factors better. The idea being to keep the oil under the curve. The highest point of the curve, allowing for the most # of combustion events is the 105C-118C area on the current oils and 98C-111C (peak at 102.5C) for the 1950s oils. Without actually posting the chart, I hope you get the picture. I think I included everything I could. I'm not really sure why this chart is confidential as there seems to be no proprietary information on it. It just compares two different specifications of oil.

Chart two shows how the GM OLM determines oil life. It is basically an algorithm chart using the oil temperature and # of combusion events. The oil temperature sweet spot range in which no "penalty factor" is added is between 71C and 121C. Beyond that range, the oil "ages" faster. Below approximately -25C the rate goes up very quickly and above 150C it goes off the chart. From 121C to 140C the factor is elevated, but only slightly i.e. half of the penalty from 20C to 70C). The chart shows that, until 140C+, the oil degrades slower at higher than "normal" temperatures than at lower than normal temperatures.

For comparison, running the vehicle at an oil temperature of -30C to 20C degrades the oil as much as running the oil at about 142C.

Please note that, again, it does not state synthetic or mineral (but I assume it is mineral since the vehicle/engine displayed does not require synthetic) also, it states that the values vary between vehicles and engines.

Quote:

I would so use the OLM if my cars had them.

Yeah, I use the one on the Accord to tell me how much TOO early I'm changing my oil.
laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I would so use the OLM if my cars had them.

Yeah, I use the one on the Accord to tell me how much TOO early I'm changing my oil.
laugh.gif

I can't even do that with my 2002 Impala because I obsessively reset it after every 3 month/3K mile oil change. Yeah, I know I'm a dinosaur but I just gotta do it.
wink.gif

The one on my truck said to change the oil twice during my last 10K run on TSO. The UOA said the wear was low but the TBN was almost depleted. The OLM was designed before SM rated oil and is tuned for mineral oil. On my other car, which I follow the OLM on, the oil still had some life left after 8K+ miles (maybe that 20% they were talking about?).

In fleet service we are experimenting with mileage and fuel used, hours run and calender time, in good weather areas for certain known vehicles. We have a snitch chip in some test vehicles that transmit the data to a server and e-mails/text messages the driver and the service facility. The service facility can adjust to formula for any given vehicle if they see excessive brake wear. The system is far to simple for the major manufacturer's but it's working for our development project. We have some drivers that are really pickie about the service on their vehicles and they are more accepting of this system than the on board OLM's. The correlation between our system and the uoa's are indicating we are on the right path. At least with this system we know how it works because I wrote it and we can tweek it, something we can't do with the OLM's on board.

The folks Tahoe has one, but I wish it would give you a count down... it simply tells you when to change the oil.... as a test, I just changed their oil, reset the OLM and also noted the hours on the 'Hour Meter'.... if I can keep up with my folks, I will let everyone know how many hours and miles caused the OLM to warn to change the oil.

It depends on the model year. Last and current generation Tahoes will tell you the percentage of oil life remaining, in the information readout. You just have to cycle through the different pages. You can then check the OLM against the hour meter. I've found mine to be fairly consistent. When I'm doing a lot of towing, it greatly reduces the interval, in terms of miles. (I haven't checked it against the hour meter yet.)

Quote:

The folks Tahoe has one, but I wish it would give you a count down... it simply tells you when to change the oil.... as a test, I just changed their oil, reset the OLM and also noted the hours on the 'Hour Meter'.... if I can keep up with my folks, I will let everyone know how many hours and miles caused the OLM to warn to change the oil.

So to sum it up, the OLM does not take into account the brand/type of oil you run.....just oil temps and combustions?

GM must set "acceptable" wear levels for the algorithms based on their testing. That should be done base on cost effectiveness (engine life vs cost of oil change).

Since I probably achieve lower cost of oil change and have a preference for longer engine life than manufacture assumes then my cost effective OCI would likely be lower than specified by mfg. This assumes they have optimized on cost effectiveness.

Ford as an example spec'd 5K OCI on my 2005. Recently they change it on newer models to 7.5K. I think the 5K is conservation for a blend/synth while I believe the 7.5K would likely be cost effective for most people. So I use 5K with a bias to discounted GrpIII 5W20.

Quote:

So to sum it up, the OLM does not take into account the brand/type of oil you run.....just oil temps and combustions?

Basically, according to the information I have seen, yes. I wouldn't doubt that there are some other factors but the two MAIN factors in the calculation are number of combustion events and oil temperature. When the OLM is tuned for the specific vehicle and engine, I strongly believe it is assumed that the oil used will be the correct one, i.e. API SM, GF-4, GM6094M, or whatever, depending on the vehicle/engine. Using a mineral oil in a Corvette spec'd for synthetic will possibly provide too long of an OCI, while putting synthetic in a Cobalt spec'd for mineral will likely provide a large safety margin at the OCI given by the OLM.

Last edited:
Informative...thanks.....I have a 2007 HHR and when I just did an oil change at 3K miles the OLM said 78%. This was with 5W30 SM Valvoline All Climate. On my new cars I change out at 1K, 4K and then usually go to 5k interval where I may go to a synthetic. I think after this change I may use the OLM, do a UOA at Blackstone and see what kind of results I get. Those findings will make a determination on how much I should use the OLM to go by

Thanks again

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back