The main reason I change oil at 3000 miles...sludge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree; most, if not all, of the Ford and Mopar specifications are API Sx and ILSAC GF-x which is every oil on the shelf for the most part.

But (for what it is worth), if you compare D1G3 to D1G2 or API you have a general representation of differences. The tests that are conducted are listed on the Lubrizol site.

I am running M1 ESP 0W-30 C3 in my Ford and honestly, I have never had much luck with HM oils anyway so that is not a showstopper. I would much rather have the more stringent test criteria of the European oils.

View attachment 201222
I last had a Ford in 2021 - traded at 157k not burning oil - and only ran Dexos oil - not interested in Ford/Mopar specs either …

Here is my latest sheet on Walmart API SP shelf oils.

From left to right 5W30
Valvoline UltraMaxlife Extended Protection
Valvoline Advanced
Castrol Edge
Mobil 1 EP
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
SuperTech High Mileage
SuperTech Full Synthetic 12 quart box

1000031705.jpg

From left to right API SP
SuperTech Advanced 5W30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) 5W30
Quaker State Euro 5W40 API SP

1000031713.jpg

Here are VOAs of Quaker State Full Synthetic High Mileage API SP 5W30...

1000031698.jpg

1000031697.jpg

So each of the API SP oils has a more robust additive package then API SN oils of the past and are good sludge preventers. However which oils stand out above the rest in terms of additive packages?

Best additive package...
Quaker State 5W40 Euro
Valvoline UltraMaxlife

Best Dexos rated additive packages...
Valvoline Advanced
Quaker State High Mileage Full Synthetic

Best Value
Quaker State family
SuperTech family

To be clear if you run into Walmart, randomly grab a 5W30 API SP oil...you can be assured it will perform better then the API SN oils.

1000031714.jpg
1000031715.jpg

@Navi you missed several questions, unless this thread is some kind of weird echo chamber for you.
He does that, just like posting the above about detergents and dispersants like we've never had in-depth discussions about those things before that went well beyond a couple of screenshots from Motortrend :rolleyes:

So each of the API SP oils has a more robust additive package then API SN oils of the past and are good sludge preventers. However which oils stand out above the rest in terms of additive packages?

Best additive package...
Quaker State 5W40 Euro
Valvoline UltraMaxlife

Best Dexos rated additive packages...
Valvoline Advanced
Quaker State High Mileage Full Synthetic

Best Value
Quaker State family
SuperTech family

To be clear if you run into Walmart, randomly grab a 5W30 API SP oil...you can be assured it will perform better then the API SN oils.

View attachment 201474View attachment 201475
You cannot make the determination of “best” or “more” from a simple spectrographic analysis, any more then you can tell the quality of a car by how much it weighs.

The calcium, or magnesium, or any of the elements you list are just that, elements.

But they are not sitting in your oil as elemental calcium, or magnesium, they are compounded with something else.

You’re counting building blocks, mere letters, without knowing how they are arranged into more complex compounds, like words, or how they’re integrated, like a sentence, and then trying to draw the conclusion that one set of prose is better than another because of the letter count.

You’re ignoring how the additives are made, and how they perform.

Last edited:
@Navi you missed several questions, unless this thread is some kind of weird echo chamber for you.
I don’t think he was interested in a discussion. He was merely trying to inform of us of his experience as a professional livery operator.

I don’t think he was interested in a discussion. He was merely trying to inform of us of his experience as a professional livery operator.
Well I can’t discount his experience as a livery operator since I’ve never been one, but it appears he’s definitely not well-versed in reading comprehension since at least 7-8 people have told him he’s making assumptions that have no basis in reality about UOAs, and yet every 2 weeks or so we get another post with more claims that can’t be proven with the data provided. 🤷‍♀️

He’s not coming here for help, he’s coming here for confirmation of the great job he’s doing spending $300+/mo on oil and UOAs.

but it appears he’s definitely not well-versed in reading comprehension since at least 7-8 people have told him he’s making assumptions that have no basis in reality about UOAs, and yet every 2 weeks or so we get another post with more claims that can’t be proven with the data provided. 🤷‍♀️
My point was: OP wasn’t interested in what we have to say. He feels that his methods and experience give him more credibility on this subject than any of us.

I am not overthinking it. My style of driving is clearly severe or extreme duty in the livery industry and described as taxi/livery/police in maintenance manuals. In addition to the 70k to 100k miles put on per year I cant be sure how much idle time but its a lot. These are not commuter vehicles.
I would go by hours not miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back