GM to reprogram OLM's to reduce wear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Cujet
GM is finding high rates of wear on various components, including balance shaft chains. The plan is to reduce the oil change interval, as testing has shown a reduction in wear with the more frequent oil changes.

That sort of torpedos the extended OCI crowd a bit..
happy2.gif

Haha! Yeah,and also the *more frequent oil changes causes more engine wear* crowd :p

Yes.

Where is d_ (you know, who beat the snot out of me & others for not extending way out) on this one!
lol.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...016#Post2847016

he's dreading having to put up or shutup when I do my next oil change and he has to use the used oil in his beater...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
I have a 2012 Cruze with the 1.4 turbo. It is not direct injected.

Ooops. My bad. Not sure why I always thought otherwise. Thanks for the correction.
No problem Quattro Pete
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW my mother in law has a 2012 Cruze with the 1.4 and the dealer told her to use semi syn oil in it. Once she gets the 2 free oil changes, I'll be using M-1.

I'd suggest these vehicles are perfect candidates for HDEO oils to go along with the shorter OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW my mother in law has a 2012 Cruze with the 1.4 and the dealer told her to use semi syn oil in it. Once she gets the 2 free oil changes, I'll be using M-1.

I'd suggest these vehicles are perfect candidates for HDEO oils to go along with the shorter OCIs.

Why not a good synthetic @ 5k? I think most syn could survive a 5k run.....

Technology is not always an improvement, especially as far as automotive issues are concerned. The earlier versions seem to be better although DI wasn't involved.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i fully expect toyota to renig on their stupid 10k OCI any day now.

What's the issue with the 10k interval on 0w20?

My UOAs come back just fine.

Waaaay too much generalization goin' on here!

It's a big stretch to say that because GM is having a particular problem (the exact nature of which has not been revealed... at least here), it means extended oil change intervals are bad. That's connecting dots that are leagues apart. That may be a more true statement with the particular engines for which the change is being made but even then it's just as likely to be a case of an abundance of caution from GM to avoid warranty entanglements and cover up a design flaw of some type... apparently with the timing chains.

Extended OCIs never will be anything more or less than a case of, "one size doesn't fit all." When properly implemented, it's safe, efficacious and a money saver. Improperly implemented, it can shorten engine life or worse. Real simple.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Well, for starters there is a thread about a Prius burning lots of oil and it was fed nothing but TGMO 0w20 and 10k intervals. Friendly_jacek reported some oil consumption and I recall you reporting some. UOAs obviously don't tell the whole story.

Couple that with a regular Joe/Jane Shmoe that never checks oil between changes and usually goes past the service reminder light and I also see lots of potential for problems at higher miles.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Waaaay too much generalization goin' on here!

It's a big stretch to say that because GM is having a particular problem (the exact nature of which has not been revealed... at least here), it means extended oil change intervals are bad. That's connecting dots that are leagues apart. That may be a more true statement with the particular engines for which the change is being made but even then it's just as likely to be a case of an abundance of caution from GM to avoid warranty entanglements and cover up a design flaw of some type... apparently with the timing chains.

Extended OCIs never will be anything more or less than a case of, "one size doesn't fit all." When properly implemented, it's safe, efficacious and a money saver. Improperly implemented, it can shorten engine life or worse. Real simple.

+2, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

If you look at the few UOAs we have here from these engines, iron wear looks crazy high.
This would indicate to anyone, including the mod whom you do not fully name that these engines are not suited to long drains with any oil.
These engines seem to shed iron and copper at about 10X the typical rate even when using known good syn oils.
Here's a link to one such UOA with the excellent in every other application PP, which proved to be at least as good as M1 EP in this application, but still not very good:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2956108&page=all

To the extent that fuel dilution is the culprit, it would be interesting to see someone try Maxlife, which seems to resist fuel dilution well or a non-Dexos ester based oil, like RLI or even G-Oil.
Years ago, Terry Dyson was advising the owner of some high zoot Audi on how to limit the insanely high level of wear metals he was seeing with his fuel diluting engine.
The owner had an ongoing thread here.
The answer was RLI.

My daughter has 2011 Malibu 2.4 with 70k+ miles, 95% highway. Zero oil useage, 26-28 MPG lead foot. OCI 4K to 5K 5W30 VWB, NAPA oil filter. She uses any kind of gas. Engine sounds like a watch.

Wife's 2012 Equinox 2.4 90% city, 8K miles on it. Zero oil useage, 20-21 MPG. I change oil every 4 months no matter what the mileage, 5W30 Mobil1, pretty sure will change to NAPA synthetic next time. Will change Purolator synthetic filter every other time. Engine takes 5qts. When you shut off engine oil drains out of oil filter housing, so when I change the oil I really get 5qts out. GM said there are check valves to hold oil where it needs to be when started. I use only TOP TIER fuel. Engine sounds like watch.

I asked dealer if the D.I. engines need intake valves cleaned, "For best performance every 12K". Daughter's car has had nothing done to it, except o2 sensor. Will see on wife's Equinox.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Well, for starters there is a thread about a Prius burning lots of oil and it was fed nothing but TGMO 0w20 and 10k intervals. Friendly_jacek reported some oil consumption and I recall you reporting some. UOAs obviously don't tell the whole story.

For the record, the oil consumption I reported here was in corolla with 1ZZ-FE. There was a slight consumption (300 ml) in Prius during a break-in (noticed at 5,000 miles), but not anymore.

But, this is way off topic.

I have a 2009 Saturn Outlook with the DI 3.6L. Last Fall I did the GM recall to reprogram the OLM. I changed the oil in December and my wife drives very short trips in very cold weather.

The OLM is now at 43% with only 950 miles on the oil.(pp 5w30).

I think I can conclude that the reprogram was successful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
For the record, the oil consumption I reported here was in corolla with 1ZZ-FE. There was a slight consumption (300 ml) in Prius during a break-in (noticed at 5,000 miles), but not anymore.

But, this is way off topic.

I stand corrected then.

Going by the updated OLM my wife's 2011 2.4 Equinox will not even get 3000 miles with her winter driving. At least not without a long highway trip. Evidently her 7-8 mile commute on cold days drops the OLM really fast. I'm curious how OLM drop rate changes with the warmer weather finally setting in.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130405...gn=awdailydrive

GM to reprogram some oil life monitors

GM is finding high rates of wear on various components, including balance shaft chains. The plan is to reduce the oil change interval, as testing has shown a reduction in wear with the more frequent oil changes.

Where are all the posters that thought I was nuts 8-9 years ago, for saying contrary of OLM readings? Where are these same posters claiming GM knew how to maintain oil changes better than the Average Joe (me)?

So many posters here told other posters to run their OCIs by the GM recommendations and OLMs. Well guess what -- I was right and GM/OLMs were wrong.

A bunch of posters here need to apologize to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back