GM to reprogram OLM's to reduce wear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Silly consumers trust manufacturers too much.

Do not agree it should be rephrased silly customer stretch the OEM OLM OCI recommendations perhaps too much.

I bought a new 2014 GMC Terrain with D.I. I wont be putting
much mileage on it (10-12K/km, 7000 mi/yr) but will get the oil changed twice a year since I get four free changes in two years.
I thought of changing once a year after that but now I'm starting
to change my mind. I'll just keep the 6 month OCI or if I go once a year it will be with a 0w40 (Dexos 2) oil.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Silly consumers trust manufacturers too much.
And yet, many of those consumers are right here on BITOG. They are like schools of sardines, the current shifts and they go right with it, never questioning, believing in the slimmest anecdotal stories as if they're the sermon on the mount.

I do things my own way, and don't listen to anonymous internet goobers.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
I'll just keep the 6 month OCI or if I go once a year it will be with a 0w40 (Dexos 2) oil.

Does your Terrain have a diesel engine?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've been changing my oil at 48 to 50 percent OLM.

You mean at 48-50% of 3,000 miles or 3 months.
wink.gif

Maybe they will back date this to cover the OLM in my old Chevy Vega GT.

No, wait, it didn't have an OLM.

Instead, it had a red light that came on when half the 20W-50 Castrol GTX in its oil pan had blown out the tailpipe.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
I'll just keep the 6 month OCI or if I go once a year it will be with a 0w40 (Dexos 2) oil.

Does your Terrain have a diesel engine?

No. I don't trust 30 weight oil in a D.I. engine to last 12000 km (7500 mi). If they can use "A3" rated 30/40 weight oil in Europe in the Ecotec engines, then I will too. This is only if I do 1 year OCI's.

Last edited:
They not only reprogrammed the OLM, but they changed the oil specification.

The owner's manual available here says, for the 2011 2.4L non-turbo engine, any oil meeting GM 6094M would be okay; see page 10-10. (Those were mostly syns and synblends, but I think there were some conventionals on that list?)

However, the manual that came with my car, and that's available here, says in no uncertain terms to use the dexos spec for both the 2.4 and the 2.0 engines.

I wonder if the possibilities of issues like this are what prompted KIA/Hyundai to adopt very conservative drain intervals for their d.i. apps, i.e., turbo 2.0L @3K or 5k miles and 3.7K or 7.5K miles for non-turbo, on plain jane specs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back