Genesis G70 2.0 Oil

SN+
I believe also now in API SP

It's for all other markets except the US. In the US the government has strict regulations when it comes to 5W-30 oils. So there are two clever ways that are now used to selling full SAPS 5W-30 oils in the US: one is to mark them as API SL and the other one is to sell thin 0W-40 Euro Spec oils that essentially shear down to a 30 viscosity. That's why I was asking where I can get this Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 in the US.

For example, eons ago when Crysler developed the 6.4 HEMI 392 (Apache) engine. God, I wish I had a Charger Scat Pack with that motor under the hood 😁

Anyway, as I have found out on this forum, it was developed to be used with 5W-30 oil. Unfortunately, because of how ILSAC 5W-30 oils are formulated, and not wanting to take any chances, Crysler / FCA decided to skirt government regulations and went with a thin 0W-40 oil that's essentially a high viscosity 5W-30 (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SRT 0W-40). So are Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and Castrol EDGE 0W-40 for that matter. The only difference between these 3 oils is that the Pennzoil is a low SAPS formulation that Pennzoil made specifically for FCA, just like Mobil 1 made ESP 0W-40 for GM. Politics, the environment, and motor oils...

It's for all other markets except the US. In the US the government has strict regulations when it comes to 5W-30 oils. So there are two clever ways that are now used to selling full SAPS 5W-30 oils in the US: one is to mark them as API SL and the other one is to sell thin 0W-40 Euro Spec oils that essentially shear down to a 30 viscosity. That's why I was asking where I can get this Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 in the US.

For example, eons ago when Crysler developed the 6.4 HEMI 392 (Apache) engine. God, I wish I had a Charger Scat Pack with that motor under the hood 😁

Anyway, as I have found out on this forum, it was developed to be used with 5W-30 oil. Unfortunately, because of how ILSAC 5W-30 oils are formulated, and not wanting to take any chances, Crysler / FCA decided to skirt government regulations and went with a thin 0W-40 oil that's essentially a high viscosity 5W-30 (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SRT 0W-40). So are Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and Castrol EDGE 0W-40 for that matter. The only difference between these 3 oils is that the Pennzoil is a low SAPS formulation that Pennzoil made specifically for FCA, just like Mobil 1 made ESP 0W-40 for GM. Politics, the environment, and motor oils...
What? API is not government body, it is lobbying organization, association.
Government does not have anything to do with that.

What? API is not government body, it is lobbying organization, association.
Government does not have anything to do with that.

🤦‍♂️ I said, in plain as day English:

In the US, the government has strict regulations when it comes to 5W-30 oils

I did not say: In the US, the API has strict regulations when it comes to 5W-30 oils.

My post didn't leave any room for interpretation, so why are you putting words in my mouth with a full quotation of my comment behind yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
🤦‍♂️ Where did I say that the API is making those rules? Where exactly? Show me please.
You did not.
Then enlighten all of us here about how the US government regulates 5W30 oils?
API is the one that issues gasoline and diesel specifications, which are by no means mandatory.
But, here is opportunity for you to tell what rest of us do not know about 5W30 oils and US government.

You did not

Okay then, thank you for admitting that. Google is your friend. I'm not playing your little game here, neither do I like your passive aggressive attitude.

Well, since we have here bunch of engineers who work on oil development, I have no doubt they will step up and explain this government regulation of 5W30 oils, which is clear discrimination considering other oils are left alone 😂

Again, where did I say that other oils are left alone? I didn't even imply that other oils were left alone. You might want to read my initial post a few more times. Let me know when you get tired of twisting my words.

Ironically all I needed for my vehicles was a thick 5W-30 oil, so I ended up using 0W-40 euro spec oil because it's cheap and readily available at Walmart and it works really well. I am really happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is "SAPS?" Couldn't find it in the list of abbreviations. Thanks!

What is "SAPS?" Couldn't find it in the list of abbreviations. Thanks!

google-search-animated-gif-12.gif

What is SAPS?
SAPS stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. They comprise a significant portion of a motor oil’s additive content. Sulfated ash is not added to oil; it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash. The additives that can produce ash are most commonly used for total base number (TBN), but also help in other areas, like antioxidancy, anti-wear, cleanliness and soot handling. Phosphorus provides anti-wear properties and further antioxidancy, while sulfur contributes antioxidancy, anti-wear properties and engine cleanliness.

Source: https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/auto-and-light-truck/articles/european-motor-oils-and-saps-content/

Again, where did I say that other oils are left alone? I didn't even imply that other oils were left alone. You might want to read my initial post a few more times. Let me know when you get tired of twisting my words.

Ironically all I needed for my vehicles was a thick 5W-30 oil, so I ended up using 0W-40 euro spec oil because it's cheap and readily available at Walmart and it works really well. I am really happy with it.
"It's for all other markets except the US. In the US the government has strict regulations when it comes to 5W-30 oils."
So tell us, what did you think?

"It's for all other markets except the US. In the US the government has strict regulations when it comes to 5W-30 oils."
So tell us, what did you think?

This is really eating at ya, isn't it? :cautious:

I picked up a G70,3.3 for the wife. Its a fun car,fking thing flys too..

Congratulations! I know, I test drove one a while back (February). The sales guy is a good friend of mine, so he didn't mind me giving it the beans a little bit. It's a solid engine. We got the non-turbo version of that engine in our 2017 Santa FE.

If you're getting your oil changed by the stealership, watch out, because you might end up with the wrong oil in that engine. They routinely dump the same 5W-30 blend at our dealerships in all Genesis vehicles that they also drop in the other Hyundais.

I run Castrol Edge 0W-40 Euro oil with ~4K OCI due to my modified engine (tuned and lots of power) in my Kia Turbo.
My Polaris oil reports look good but my engine puts lots of fuel in the oil (GDI) and is a good reason to change it out before 5K miles.

Back