Genesis G70 2.0 Oil

Anyone see a reason why 0w40 wouldn't be listed here? Never ran a 40 weight oil before. Lots of choices, euro formulas, lots of oils for diesel trucks. I'd like to run Mobil 1 Euro 0w40. With a Fram Ultra most likely.

Attachments

• Oil.JPG
    Oil.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 188
The only complaint I could think of is the regular M1 0W-40 is pretty high in Calcium if you are concerned about LSPI with a TGDI. The ESP is under 1000 ppm according to the last PDS I saw.

Anyone see a reason why 0w40 wouldn't be listed here?

Not sure what you mean, it is listed there for 2.0T engine (it says 0/5w-xx in the beginning, that's their way of expressing it)
I'm agreeing with @Gene K tho, think twice before putting 0w40 with all that calcium.
Any new API SP 5w30 might serve you better, just to play safe

Anyone see a reason why 0w40 wouldn't be listed here? Never ran a 40 weight oil before. Lots of choices, euro formulas, lots of oils for diesel trucks. I'd like to run Mobil 1 Euro 0w40. With a Fram Ultra most likely.

I had that engine in two Hyundais, a Soanata and a Santa Fe Sport. I think the only upgrade Hyundai did to that motor for the Genesis was to increase the sump by about a quart, which is good. Look at my signature, I use both Castrol and Mobil 1. For that particular application I would use Castrol EDGE 0W-40 and never look back. Lots of guys with F150 trucks use them in EcoBoost engines as well. The EDGE stands up much better to shearing and fuel dillution. I doubt you'll ever experience LSPI with that motor because Hyundai adjusted the power levels and fine tuned that engine over the years. They basically cut back on the torque and power to increase its longevity. Purolator BOSS PBL14461 (you want good flow) is the filter you want for that engine and a magnetic drain plug (go to Amazon and look for Votex DP001, it works). Torque the drain plug to 32 ft-lb and use the Hyundai OEM washers, not the one that the drain plug ships with. That's about all the advice that I have for you 😁

If you still want 0/5w-40, consider Pennzoil Euro. It's SN plus so way friendlier to your turbo
https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/89db797b-d00c-4b95-8e28-cb5ffd24705f.pdf

That looks like an API SN motor oil made from Group III base stock that's hard to find at Walmart and expensive to order on Amazon. But hey, if it's good enough for a Ferrari engine ... 😁

605ad479-3f54-44fd-bd81-02b0db93d284_1.3705fcb65856779f1da76e6e5e051abe.jpeg

I had that engine in two Hyundais, a Soanata and a Santa Fe Sport. I think the only upgrade Hyundai did to that motor for the Genesis was to increase the sump by about a quart, which is good. Look at my signature, I use both Castrol and Mobil 1. For that particular application I would use Castrol EDGE 0W-40 and never look back. Lots of guys with F150 trucks use them in EcoBoost engines as well. The EDGE stands up much better to shearing and fuel dillution. I doubt you'll ever experience LSPI with that motor because Hyundai adjusted the power levels and fine tuned that engine over the years. They basically cut back on the torque and power to increase its longevity. Purolator BOSS PBL14461 (you want good flow) is the filter you want for that engine and a magnetic drain plug (go to Amazon and look for Votex DP001, it works). Torque the drain plug to 32 ft-lb and use the Hyundai OEM washers, not the one that the drain plug ships with. That's about all the advice that I have for you 😁

That looks like an API SN motor oil made from Group III base stock that's hard to find at Walmart and expensive to order on Amazon. But hey, if it's good enough for a Ferrari engine ... 😁

That's their older look, it's lost the Ferrari approval got gained SN plus

Attachments

• 81ghQu8-iAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81ghQu8-iAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 33
That's their older look, it's lost the Ferrari approval got gained SN plus

Well, that looks like a viable option as well. I wouldn't use ILSAC GF5/6A/ACEA A5 oil in that engine, it will nuke the oil pretty fast. IIRC Hyundai recommended 5000 mile OCIs for the Turbo under Normal driving conditions. Believe me, they know the pitfals of their own motors.

20-50 would be a bridge too far, but Mobil 1 5W-50 would actually be okay if you drive the car hard, do autocross or track it.

Well, that looks like a viable option as well. I wouldn't use ILSAC GF5/6A/ACEA A5 oil in that engine, it will nuke the oil pretty fast. IIRC Hyundai recommended 5000 mile OCIs for the Turbo under Normal driving conditions. Believe me, they know the pitfals of their own motors.

After reading this forum, I’m really scared driving my Kia with 5w20 in the sump now

20-50 would be a bridge too far, but Mobil 1 5W-50 would actually be okay if you drive the car hard, do autocross or track it.

Well they recommend 5000 mi OCI in the States and 15,000 km (9300 mi) in Europe. I'm not sure what oil they spec in Europe but I'm guessing either a A3/B4 or a C3. Either would be far better than an SP GF-6 Oil in that application.

Well they recommend 5000 mi OCI in the States and 15,000 km (9300 mi) in Europe. I'm not sure what oil they spec in Europe but I'm guessing either a A3/B4 or a C3. Either would be far better than an SP GF-6 Oil in that application.
Castrol UK says 6000 miles/1 year using either 0w30 A5 or 5w40 A3/B4.
I've seen 15-20k km OCI recommended across manufacturers in Europe (Ford, Hyundai, BMW), just not buying it.
A friend of mine is a mechanic at a Ford dealership, they call for 20k kms OCI with just 5.2qt of 5w20 in their engines, which is a huge win for dealers since the engines rarely survive longer than 100k km

Pennzoil Platinum Euro goes for $33 for 5qt plus filter in AAP (like all other synthetics).
It is GTL based oil with very good cold performance and HTHS in 3.8 range.

Back