GC will not be GF-4

I called Castrol today. Their webpage has been updated and all grades except the 0w-30 are now GF-4 rated. She said that it won't be GF-4 rated. This is most likely due to the extensive European specifications this oil meets, and also that it's to thick to meet the fuel efficieny requirement of GF-4. I think it's a good thing. You have to wonder if Castrol isn't aware of the success this oil is having in the US. Every auto forum I go to, from Toyota to Honda, someone always mentions German Castrol.

quote:
Originally posted by buster: I called Castrol today. Their webpage has been updated and all grades except the 0w-30 are now GF-4 rated. She said that it won't be GF-4 rated. This is most likely due to the extensive European specifications this oil meets, and also that it's to thick to meet the fuel efficieny requirement of GF-4. I think it's a good thing. You have to wonder if Castrol isn't aware of the success this oil is having in the US. Every auto forum I go to, from Toyota to Honda, someone always mentions German Castrol.
Guess which was the first board to use that name? [Big Grin] Wish I could find that first email and print it for posterity!

Patman

Staff member
Who was the first one on here to call it GC? I know that Dr.T was the first one here to spot it in the stores, and I think I was the first one on here to put it in an engine and I know I was the first one to post the first UOA. But I don't recall who named it GC!

I don't know who first called it German Castrol (I really do suspect it was you) but I do remember that after I called it "German Castrol (GC)" in an email is when I first started seeing it referred to as "GC" so I honestly do think I coined that term.

I just noticed that GM only recommends GF-4 oils for the 2005 model year ls1 engines. They even have a list of approved oils. So does this mean that you can't run GC if you have 2005? (mine is 2003, so it's going in anyway)