Amazon Basics 0W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. You know what I mean about the aspirin thing šŸ˜€ but I will say I agree with you on the ammo. During the Covid supply shortage I got some Wolf steel ammo from Target Sports and they dirtied my Sigs and Glocks more than normal and I swear never again and I will stick to Magtech Blazer or Winchester. Anything but Wolf.
My buddy bought a case of Chinese surplus 5.56 to fire in his Ruger Mini-14, normally, a reasonably accurate gun. This stuff is minute of barn door in accuracy and some of them have massive muzzle flash, others have zero muzzle flash and some of them sound much quieter or much louder than others, the inconsistency is hilarious! But, they were super cheap! LOL!

Well. You know what I mean about the aspirin thing šŸ˜€ but I will say I agree with you on the ammo. During the Covid supply shortage I got some Wolf steel ammo from Target Sports and they dirtied my Sigs and Glocks more than normal and I swear never again and I will stick to Magtech Blazer or Winchester. Anything but Wolf.
Thatā€™s kinda my original point.

Might be fine.

Might not.

Youā€™re the beta tester.

An approved oil will absolutely be fine.

But you may not see negative results on your beta test until youā€™ve smoked your engine. Stuck rings. Poor compression. Sludge in the PCV. Whatever.

And on a Mercedes, those are all five figure repairs.

As far as evidence of destroyed engines - in the early 2000s Volvo North America destroyed thousands, many thousands, by telling its dealers to use a Castrol 5W30 that did not meet specifications. The engines were filled with sludge because the oil didnā€™t meet ACEA requirements for the new (at the time) long drain interval. A well-known dealership disaster in Volvo circles. Volvo even published a TNN (service bulletin) on how to clean them which included (amazingly) using an oil that met ACEA A3/B4.

Iā€™ve used only oils with appropriate approvals in my Mercedes. They use zero oil between changes. The insides are spotless. They run perfectly.

Approvals* are how you can be certain that an oil work.

*one important caveat. I trust David @High Performance Lubricants
and his great folks completely. Iā€™ve seen the testing, the facility, experts, and the work that goes into their formulations. Outstanding oil when all is said and done.

Short of HPL, an oil on the Bevo list is the only way to know itā€™ll be good for your Mercedes at the specified drain interval.

Last edited:
You guys got me convinced now. Either this weekend or next weekend Iā€™ll drain this stuff out and put in the M1 Euro 0W-40 I have here. A 6 quart bag will be emptied into this Turbo 4 cylinder. Iā€™ll save the extra Amazon stuff for something else and maybe just give it to my neighbor. Iā€™m not too worried about the warranty since I have receipts for the M1 so how would they know that itā€™s not M1 in there? But Iā€™ll just consider it as the Amazon stuff in there for a short period of time cleaning up any excess dirty oil left behind from the last drain and the M1 can start fresh kinda like I did the drain refill and repeat 3 to 4 times with the Honda ATF when I flushed the tranny.

Since its already in, might as well run it for 3000miles in the winter.. and change it when the weather is nicer.

I hear you and I completely get it. And I am not arguing about numbers. Heck, I don't even know what a lot of it means. Is what I am saying. However, when people say I don't use this cheapie stuff because it does not appear on the approval list or it's not good enough for the Benz, what fact do they have to go by? Has there been a case of failure where it lead back to this oil, or any Euro oil not meeting approval? Or is it a case of I would not take Walmart brand's aspirin when I have a headache and would only take Tylenol. That is what I don't get. If I know Walmart's inhouse aspirin is made by (fill in the name of a reputable pharmaceutical) then I would not hesitate one bit.
Yes and similarly, any brand with the approval is guaranteed to perform at the requirements of the approval.

If there was a Walmart brand with the proper approval then I wouldnā€™t hesitate to use it. Being a ā€œEuroā€ oil is pretty irrelevant.

You guys got me convinced now. Either this weekend or next weekend Iā€™ll drain this stuff out and put in the M1 Euro 0W-40 I have here. A 6 quart bag will be emptied into this Turbo 4 cylinder. Iā€™ll save the extra Amazon stuff for something else and maybe just give it to my neighbor. Iā€™m not too worried about the warranty since I have receipts for the M1 so how would they know that itā€™s not M1 in there? But Iā€™ll just consider it as the Amazon stuff in there for a short period of time cleaning up any excess dirty oil left behind from the last drain and the M1 can start fresh kinda like I did the drain refill and repeat 3 to 4 times with the Honda ATF when I flushed the tranny.
Brand isnā€™t the factor here.

Iā€™m with @Astro14 here.

1) Running an oil that isnā€™t certified to the correct spec doesnā€™t make sense.
2) HPL is one of the most transparent companies Iā€™ve come across. With standards as high as they come.

Iā€™m with @Astro14 here.

1) Running an oil that isnā€™t certified to the correct spec doesnā€™t make sense.
2) HPL is one of the most transparent companies Iā€™ve come across. With standards as high as they come.
Lemme ask you this. Would you run HPL Euro in the Benz turbo engines for the full 10K OCI?

Well, NVM. Although I have never heard of HPL oil until today, I pulled up the and could find nothing about 229.5 approvals so my question is why on earth would anyone buy this oil at like $17 a quart when you can get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 with 229.5 approval for $30?

Last edited:
Lemme ask you this. Would you run HPL Euro in the Benz turbo engines for the full 10K OCI?

Well, NVM. Although I have never heard of HPL oil until today, I pulled up the and could find nothing about 229.5 approvals so my question is why on earth would anyone buy this oil at like $17 a quart when you can get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 with 229.5 approval for $30a f?
A well known and respected fromer XOM tribologist who has authored numerous papers and made advancements within the field is associated with HPL.

Iā€™ve used only oils with appropriate approvals in my Mercedes. They use zero oil between changes. The insides are spotless. They run perfectly.

Approvals* are how you can be certain that an oil work.

*one important caveat. I trust David @High Performance Lubricants
and his great folks completely. Iā€™ve seen the testing, the facility, experts, and the work that goes into their formulations. Outstanding oil when all is said and done.

Short of HPL, an oil on the Bevo list is the only way to know itā€™ll be good for your Mercedes at the specified drain interval.
So what is so good about this HPL Oil? it doesn't have the approval but it sounds like you wouldn't have any issues using it in your Benz.

A well known and respected fromer XOM tribologist who has authored numerous papers and made advancements within the field is associated with HPL.
Regardless, his oil isn't on the approval list..... at more than 3x the cost of M1 Euro WHICH IS on the approval list. So what am I missing here?

A turbo-charged Merc? I'm not running cheapie oil personally regardless if I got it on sale. Just toss it up on FB Market place and sell it if you can't use it in your other vehicles.
But yet in another post you used HPL Euro at 3x the cost of Mobil 1 Euro. And HPL isn't even on approved list but here you are telling me to dump this cheapie oil on Marketplace. Why don't you enlighten me Mr. Chase?

Regardless, his oil isn't on the approval list..... at more than 3x the cost of M1 Euro WHICH IS on the approval list. So what am I missing here?
You're not missing anything. Without formal approvals you're having to go off the reputation of the blender. Just like your product from Warren. You also have to know what to look for and ask the right questions

HPL is formulated for really long drains and the company has been forthcoming with a lot of information including opening their doors to the community. There have also been some interesting results where HPL be has removed buildup on what would be considered normally maintained engines.

Having the godfather of modern synthetics on call goes a long way towards credibility.

HPL customers are not as price sensitive as the general public. Mobil 1 could formulate the same stuff.

Last edited:
You're not missing anything. Without formal approvals you're having to go off the reputation of the blender. Just like your product from Warren.
HPL is formulated for really long drains and have been forthcoming with a lot of information including opening their doors to the community. There have also been some interesting results where HPL be has removed buildup on what would be considered normally maintained engines.
I understand you completely but why not get MB 229.5 approval to be on the list? I completely get it and I don't question this HPL oil at all. Heck, I never heard of it. What I am questioning is that on one hand folks are questioning "why would someone use this Amazon Basic Euro that is not approved while M1 Euro is approved and sitting on the shelf at Wally World at the same price" but yet folks on BITOG seem to have zero issues with paying 3x the cost for a non approved HPL oil while again M1 approved oil is sitting on the shelf at Wally World for 1/3 the cost. This is beyond me. Let me go grab that 1/2 case of Heineken in my fridge and maybe I will come to sense after finishing that.

I know I am not making many friends here but it seems like BITOG is all about pushing HPL Oil. Are they a sponsor of the site or something?

I understand you completely but why not get MB 229.5 approval to be on the list? I completely get it and I don't question this HPL oil at all. Heck, I never heard of it. What I am questioning is that on one hand folks are questioning "why would someone use this Amazon Basic Euro that is not approved while M1 Euro is approved and sitting on the shelf at Wally World at the same price" but yet folks on BITOG seem to have zero issues with paying 3x the cost for a non approved HPL oil while again M1 approved oil is sitting on the shelf at Wally World for 1/3 the cost. This is beyond me. Let me go grab that 1/2 case of Heineken in my fridge and maybe I will come to sense after finishing that.
That's because some, not the majority of, people on BITOG really know what they're talking about and what to look for. In addition, there are some industry insiders around here who will occasionally pop in.

Products are formulated to a price point.
Products like HPL are overkill for the 5k mile OCI guy.

Welcome to the party Pal. Many of us here are a bit OilChangeDemented and can tend to wear each other out over thinking at times. Most of it is well meaning though. Especially for guys to pull up all that info some did so fast for ya. No matter who said what it sounds like you got what you were after. Opinions , facts and thoughts to chew on. :) Now enjoy that Heineken.

Welcome to the party Pal. Many of us here are a bit OilChangeDemented and can tend to wear each other out over thinking at times. Most of it is well meaning though. Especially for guys to pull up all that info some did so fast for ya. No matter who said what it sounds like you got what you were after. Opinions , facts and thoughts to chew on. :) Now enjoy that Heineken.
BITOCD

But yet in another post you used HPL Euro at 3x the cost of Mobil 1 Euro. And HPL isn't even on approved list but here you are telling me to dump this cheapie oil on Marketplace. Why don't you enlighten me Mr. Chase?
HPL is a boutique high-performance oil and not in the same category as the name-brand off-the-shelf oils and with testing would meet the approvals that we are talking about - that is based on the trust placed in the company, their track record, and their Q&As here ad nauseam on BITOG; I suggest if you are interested in it to spend the time reading up. I run HPL in my Sportwagen that sees heavy use, track use, and general beating to give it the best possible lubrication performance under those extreme conditions but also have run "normal" Euro oils with the VW approvals. I run approved oils in both of my other VWs that see normal daily use and wouldn't run the Amazon stuff in either for lack of approval. I would not spend the money for HPL oil in my other vehicles - as was said above, this is not necessary for "the 5K OCI guy" in a normal daily-driven vehicle. If I had a turo'd Merc I'd sell the Amazon stuff for what I paid to move it out and use any oil with the 229.5 approval like M1 etc. I would also run HPL (without the approval) without hesitation if you want to geek out and run a super-oil. Comparing HPL to Amazon is so outlandish that it's clear you should spend a bit more time reading up on it....you are the one that could use the enlightenment! And who is "Mr. Chase"? Like anything in life, you generally get what you pay for and for my 2-3 changes a year I have no issue for my one performance car to spend "big" money on the oil I use for it. I offset that with the free changes I get for the other 2 VWs from FCP.

Last edited:
So what is so good about this HPL Oil? it doesn't have the approval but it sounds like you wouldn't have any issues using it in your Benz.
My decision to use HPL is crystal clear in my signature. Next change, the SL600 will be run on HPL, too.

Two very different stories here.

One, a bottle on a shelf. Or on a website. A big faceless company makes a claim. How do you know itā€™s good enough? Approvals.

Two, @High Performance Lubricants - A company Iā€™ve visited. A plant Iā€™ve toured. Experts Iā€™ve met. Testing Iā€™ve seen. First hand, personal experience.

Two very different scenarios. I have met, and trust, HPL. Itā€™s that simple.

Spend some time reading through the threads on HPL.

You will find a company that has blended oils to meet the request of folks on this forum. The entire No VII line. The Overkill 0W20. There is no oil company, anywhere, that responds to consumers like they do. That engages with customers like they do. There is no more responsive, transparent, honest oil blender, period.

Read through Wayneā€™s experience with his Durango running HPL, or my Volvo XC, in what the filter captures in a run with HPL. Fascinating that the alkylated naphthalenes and esters are cleaning an already clean engine.

I support small businesses. American businesses. I support honest businesses, even if they cost more.

You will also find that their oils hold up much better than even the best products from companies like Mobil. They last longer in fleet service. Why? Better ingredients. Could Mobil use those? Of course they could, but they would have to raise the price, and they would lose market share to other oil blenders that use less expensive ingredients and still meet specification.

Mobil 1 0W40, for example, is a fine oil. It meets MB 229.5. My Mercedes engines are spotless inside, as mentioned. My UOAs on that oil have been great. Search my S600 UOAs. Itā€™s a great choice for a Mercedes that requires a 229.5. Itā€™s reasonably priced. I have, and will continue to, recommend it.

But it is not as good as HPL 0W40, which uses better ingredients. Better additives and better base stocks.

Itā€™s your money. Itā€™s your choice. If youā€™re looking for a good oil, on which your MB will run a long time, like mine, get the Mobil 1 0W40.

If youā€™re looking for a great oil, and want to support a great company, order up a case of HPL from Dave and the good folks there. Donā€™t forget to use the discount code BITOG15.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back