Oil Spec that replace Ford WSS-M2C913-D, if exists

Hi guys, this is my very first post. I tried use the search button but i didn't find an exact answer for my question and finding correct information regarding oil specifications, in Internet seems to be impossible. It seems to be in a jungle lol

I own a 2016 Ford Focus ST (First Gen 2.0L Ecoboost) and based on Ford (Europe) specification, my car require a 5W-30 oil with Ford WSS-M2C913-C or D specification.

As per Ford requirements, I always used an oil with that specification but, last year, i started hear about LSPI (Low-speed pre-ignition) and that oil producers developed a new specification that is specifically made to decrease that 'issue. As far as i understood, that specification is known as API SP6 or ILSAC GF-6A/B

Well, the thing is, i know that M2C913 specification DOESN'T meet it, and that will never meet it, so i started looking for a 'newer' ford specification and i found these:

Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1
Ford WSS-M2C947-B1
Ford WSS-M2C962-A1

The problem is that 'based on information i found in internet' noone of these specfication replace the M2C913, and I really don't want to use a specification that doesn't meet my engine requirement, UNLESS someone post me a solid evidence that using a different specification will not cause problems. Beware that I know that putting a different spec will very likely not damage my engine, but if they made so many different specs, there must be a reason... I also know that in case of belt driven engines, it's better to respect the required specification to not cause excessive wear to the belt... which is not my case since it's a chain driven engine... but as I think that there should still be a reason to use the suggested specification.

So, to make it short, is there an oil specification that replace the M2C913 and that meet the API SP6 or ILSAC GF-6A/B specification? And also, is there a document somewhere that describe the differences and the requirements for EACH ford WSS specification??

Sorry for being too long and happy new year to everyone 🥳🥳

edit:

I forgot to mention that in the past years I always used the following oils:

Liqui-Moly Special Tec F 5W-30
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn F 5W-30

I use to do track days with my car and both oils are waaaay better than Castrol (the one that Ford use), at least by looking at the oil temperature.

Last edited:
Absolutely! It's the first oil that i see that meet both specs! Thanks a lot.

edit:
@KCJeep did Motul release an updated version of that oil? Because i'm looking several dealers, and everyone is categorizing it as an API SL oil.... weird :\

edit 2:
I found a picture of the rear, and it's certified as API SL / CF.... super weird :|

1703709611886.png

edit 3:
Hum, there is surely a 'newer' version of that oil, because i found THREE different 'front' stickers:

1703710719665.png
1703710619075.png
1703710632323.png

As you can see the they added several new 'brand' specifications, and the last one, is also the one visible on their official site.... the thing is, i cannot find the rear of that specific version, to see if they added API SP spec or not.... can't believe they named the oil the same way despite a different specification....

Last edited:
I think you are seeing old pictures lazy dealers have not updated. I suppose you could verify with them whether or not they are selling the newest SP oil or older stock.

What do you mean by better than Castrol? You saw your temperatures drop when switching away from Castrol? Were all oils the same viscosity?

WSS-M2C961-A1 is suitable. That’s what’s used in the 2019+ Focus ST with the 2.3L EcoBoost which is largely the same design as your 2.0L.

Basically anything Dexos 1 Gen 3 will also meet M2C961-A1, so look for one of those.

What do you mean by better than Castrol? You saw your temperatures drop when switching away from Castrol? Were all oils the same viscosity?
Yes. Same track, both 5W-30 oils, same ambient temperature, i got around 8°C less with both Fuchs and Liqui Moly

I think you are seeing old pictures lazy dealers have not updated. I suppose you could verify with them whether or not they are selling the newest SP oil or older stock.
Motul 8100 Technical Document dated March 2021: https://azupim01.motul.com/media/motulData/DO/base/8100_ECO-NERGY_5W-30_it_IT_motul_20210329.pdf
Motul 8100 Technical Document Dated June 2023: https://azupim01.motul.com/media/mo...co-nergy_5w-30_it_it_motul_17300_20230607.pdf

They clearly 'updated' that oil by adding the API SP specification... i just can't belive that the the kept the same name and product number....

WSS-M2C961-A1 is suitable. That’s what’s used in the 2019+ Focus ST with the 2.3L EcoBoost which is largely the same design as your 2.0L.

Basically anything Dexos 1 Gen 3 will also meet M2C961-A1, so look for one of those.
Are you 100% sure that the Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 spec meet all the Ford WSS-M2C913-D specs? I cannot find anything on internet

Last edited:
The oil chemistry isn’t going to affect the operating temperature in any meaningful way, nor is it any indicator of some global “quality”. Neither are you able in any way to isolate any effect of the oil outside of a laboratory. That whole notion is completely spurious here and should have zero impact on your choice.

If you’re tracking a vehicle I’d use a dedicated track oil and I’d use the one the blender recommends based on your operation.

Play around here and look for approvals that exceed the 913 specs in areas you are concerned about.

In general, the newer specs for Ford are backward compatible, which is why you don't see them listed on the bottles, otherwise, you'd need a pull-out pamphlet like a bottle of weed killer.

Currently, here in the US, the up-to-date Ford Spec for the Ecoboost's that call for 5W30 is WSS-M2C961-A1.

My 2020 Manual calls for the older spec M2C946, which is surpassed by the 961 oil.

1703753557871.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-28 035445.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-28 035445.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
More than one guy that is part of my ST Club had the car that entered 'protection mode' due to oil overheat (reaching 131°C) under heavy load situation when using the Castrol, while using it with a different oil allowed to 'run' more time under the same situations. Just to make an example, in the Monza National Circuit with my car i can do two full laps giving 100% of the car power, with my current oil (Fuchs, but the same is with Liqui Moly) my car oil reach 128°C at the end of the second lap. The same car, with the Castrol oil, can barely reach half of the second lap (oil reach 131°C and car enter protection mode)

But beside that, to answer to your quote, shouldn't an oil also being able to 'absorb' the heat, and then lower the engine temperature? Also, my car has a coolant-oil temperature exchanger, so an oil that 'transfer' heat in a better way (to the coolant) should help keeping the oil temp lower.... or am I wrong? I'm ignorant under all oil technical aspect, i'm just trying to understand things and I shared a personal experiences

edit:
Thanks, i'll play with it!

More than one guy that is part of my ST Club had the car that entered 'protection mode' due to oil overheat (reaching 131°C) under heavy load situation when using the Castrol, while using it with a different oil allowed to 'run' more time under the same situations. Just to make an example, in the Monza National Circuit with my car i can do two full laps giving 100% of the car power, with my current oil (Fuchs, but the same is with Liqui Moly) my car oil reach 128°C at the end of the second lap. The same car, with the Castrol oil, can barely reach half of the second lap (oil reach 131°C and car enter protection mode)

But beside that, to answer to your quote, shouldn't an oil also being able to 'absorb' the heat, and then lower the engine temperature? Also, my car has a coolant-oil temperature exchanger, so an oil that 'transfer' heat in a better way (to the coolant) should help keeping the oil temp lower.... or am I wrong? I'm ignorant under all oil technical aspect, i'm just trying to understand things and I shared a personal experiences

edit:

If you're running the oil that hot, then you need more cooling, end of story. Even a 'cooler running' oil can only do so much on the racetrack. You're not going to find the silver bullet that will let you lap non-stop just in your oil. Certainly not by sticking to Ford-approved stuff. Tracking the car is not something they consider when they come up with those specs.

Sure mate, I absolutely agree that I need to add an oil cooler, i'm not trying to find an oil that allows me to do more laps, not at all. I just shared my experience :)

Btw, i cannot find the 961 oil on that site :\

edit:
No hydrocarbon liquid in that general molecular weight has a significantly higher heat transfer coefficient. Plus all the numerous uncontrolled variables in different engines, drivers and cooling that put anything like this into the noise. I know people make claims as your doing here but unless you’re determining that in a laboratory then there’s just no way you can isolate that particular variable.

Use a dedicated track oil to protect your engine and provide sufficient temperature controls (cooler) to keep the oil at a proper operating temperature. Trying to fix an issue such as this with oil brand is foolish.

If you're running the oil that hot, then you need more cooling, end of story. Even a 'cooler running' oil can only do so much on the racetrack. You're not going to find the silver bullet that will let you lap non-stop just in your oil. Certainly not by sticking to Ford-approved stuff. Tracking the car is not something they consider when they come up with those specs.
Completely agree.

Back