GC will not be GF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Castrol today. Their webpage has been updated and all grades except the 0w-30 are now GF-4 rated. She said that it won't be GF-4 rated. This is most likely due to the extensive European specifications this oil meets, and also that it's to thick to meet the fuel efficieny requirement of GF-4. I think it's a good thing. You have to wonder if Castrol isn't aware of the success this oil is having in the US. Every auto forum I go to, from Toyota to Honda, someone always mentions German Castrol.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I called Castrol today. Their webpage has been updated and all grades except the 0w-30 are now GF-4 rated. She said that it won't be GF-4 rated. This is most likely due to the extensive European specifications this oil meets, and also that it's to thick to meet the fuel efficieny requirement of GF-4. I think it's a good thing. You have to wonder if Castrol isn't aware of the success this oil is having in the US. Every auto forum I go to, from Toyota to Honda, someone always mentions German Castrol.

Guess which was the first board to use that name?
grin.gif
Wish I could find that first email and print it for posterity!

Who was the first one on here to call it GC? I know that Dr.T was the first one here to spot it in the stores, and I think I was the first one on here to put it in an engine and I know I was the first one to post the first UOA. But I don't recall who named it GC!

I don't know who first called it German Castrol (I really do suspect it was you) but I do remember that after I called it "German Castrol (GC)" in an email is when I first started seeing it referred to as "GC" so I honestly do think I coined that term.

I just noticed that GM only recommends GF-4 oils for the 2005 model year ls1 engines. They even have a list of approved oils.

So does this mean that you can't run GC if you have 2005?

(mine is 2003, so it's going in anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back