Ford V10motor locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off topic but lets say we run a 10w/ 30 too long and it shears to a 20 wt? we run a 05w/20 too long and what happens?.

The vehicle is a motor home with an engine, V10, heavy duty, which is designed for towing. The 29,000 miles driven in 2 years would indicate that the majority was highway miles which is easy on the oil. We are not talking an automobile here. These long haulers will put miles on the oil. Truckers routinely go over 20,000 miles on oil changes, since these are all highway miles and these motors typically exceed 1000000 miles of service. Highway miles just like this Ford Motor which failed at 29000 miles! The internals of this motor are clean! No low pressure indicator was observed or check engine light. This is clearly a catastrophic failure of a defective motor at 29000!

Its not abuse if the oil UOA comes back OK, but then again if the bearings were going we should see high metals. So if its high metals in the oil is it caused by premature bearing wear or oil OCI.
dunno.gif

Lesson learned stick with recommended intervals!

[ July 24, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Please see my earlier post about why so long between oil change intervals. the deaths of the 4 close family memebers just allowed time to slip away from us. If you knew my husband, he is sooooo picky. He didn't do this on purpose. It has just been a really tough time for our family.

Cathy, it sounds like you have a crappy shop and shop manager. Shops that are in good warranty standing have much flexibility to help customers beyond warranty periods and even when "neglect" has happened. This is not the case in your situation. On the contrary, dealers that are not in good warranty-claim-rating with Ford have little to no flexibility with their customers. Dunno where your shop rates at in this warranty claims-game.

I worked in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury parts for years. I've seen an engine given to a Ford factory employee even due to complete neglect. Case in point: Back in 1991, a 1990 U150--full size Bronco with 31K miles was brought into the the shop for blowing blue smoke. Lifted it up to find the original oil filter on the truck! The amount of slugde was absolutely incredible! The customer (the Ford factory employee) NEVER changed the oil, not once!

What did the service manager do? Gave him a new engine!!! Everyone on the shop was quite PO'ed...obvious neglect but the customer's vehicle was still under warranty, so the owner drove away with a new engine.
mad.gif

If the shop isn't giving you a new engine, call Ford and go WAY above them. Ford's corporate Mid-level Managers don't want customers that won't return to buy another vehicle. Stay on the phone inside Ford corporate until you're given the right answer...a new engine. The phone is the most powerful tool to use! Tell them the suspect service/handling of things by the shop!

As my old Parts boss told me over and over "the pen is mightier than the sword".

Good Luck and God Bless.

I think I would be talking to a lawyer. And whats more, I would have it towed to another dealer. Would not give that dealer the satisfaction of making any more money than they already have.

I had a similar experience with a big city GM dealer years back. Rear main seals starting to leak badly. Had about 30,000 miles on truck and they would not cover it under warranty because I had synthetic oil in the engine (Mobil 1). They were about to start tearing into it (engine had to come out) when I was told this would not be covered, made them drop the truck to the ground. Paid my bill and left, service manager insisting it would never be covered by warranty. The service advisor was a young guy and cocky also. When I went home 2 weeks later, I stopped into a local Chevy dealer and told them my rear main was leaking. They checked it out and said, sure enough but no problem, covered by warranty. Oil has nothing to do with, there is a problem with 2.8L engines and rear main seals. Cost me nothing and they let me use a car. I told this dealer service manager how I was treated at this other dealer and he could not believe it. BTW-The dealer who gave me problems was the same place I got the truck from. My salesman had no influence with service, they just refused to warranty it. I since talked with someone who new the service manager well, seems he go on world-wide vacations every year as a bonus from GM for keeping warranty work low.

I know a guy who was fired from a Ford dealer as service manager. Why, because he says his warranty claims were excessive under his management and the dealership was suffering in their relationship with Ford because of it. Every month a list comes out with the top dealers in warranty claims which Ford (and the rest) consider a problem and not a indication of customer satisfaction.

[ July 25, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I have a hard time beliving that a single, 7,000 OCI caused two main bearings to seize. Either the engine had a problem from day 1, or your stealership is corrupt. I would not be surprised if you learn that you have a completely different problem, such as a fauly fuel pump. Mechanics seem to take advantage of "out of towners" with car probs.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I don't know where else to take the RV. Landers Ford is the only place in Little Rock that sevices RVs under warranty. I would gladly take it somewhere else! I just don't know where that is! AFTER my RV was towed to Landers is when I found out that Landers is notorius for not doing warranty work without a fight. Even the ladies in the beausty shop a few weeks ago where saying.."NO! Not Landers!" My insurance agent told me the same thing. All the motocorssers at the racetrack told us this also. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Cathy,

Constructive criticism. You are being way to passive! You have recieved excellent advice here as well as from folks you know. If I was Ford and the Dealership I would walk all over you too since you seem easy going. Passive people end up paying for something they shouldn't.

Hopefully you don't take me the wrong way! I am just trying to be honest.
smile.gif

quote:

Landers Ford is the only place in Little Rock that sevices RVs under warranty.

Well, apparently not! They do not want to service the vehicle under warranty.

As Amkeer and others stated, get it out of there ASAP and look up in the phone book or talk to the BBB about other private service shops, and have it towed somehwere else.

As I stated before, get a resolution from another shop and then come back later and take legal action against Ford. Lander's or whomever it is aint going to do nothin' for you.

As soon as we see the oil analysis, we will hopefully be able to determine what or who is at fault.

I also doubt that going 7K on the oil is gonna make it blow up.

Be my guess that something else broke. Oil pump, crank not hardened correctly etc. But the 7K on the oil is a valid excuse for Ford to not warranty the engine.

I can't see you winning this one since the required change interval is 3k.

quote:

Originally posted by Cathy Covington:
I don't know where else to take the RV...I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Cathy, Any ford dealer that services Ford trucks can service this warranty. Even that full size Bronco that I mentioned was serviced in a Lincoln-Mercury dealer...we didn't even sell "Fords".

Some heavy truck dealers don't sell cars, just light trucks all the way up to the big-rigs. Please spend all day on the phone tomorrow. Ask the Ford rep which dealer you should take it to...any Ford dealer that's more reputable dealer... If you can find a "heavy truck" dealer outside the one you took it to, have it towed there AFTER calling Ford's local representatives to see if they're in good warranty standing. They should treat you like a VIP once your Ford rep makes calls to the deealership on your behalf.

Step 1: You need to call Ford's warranty claims and get in touch with your local representative... even meet him for lunch if need be.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
The vehicle is a motor home with an engine, V10, heavy duty, which is designed for towing. The 29,000 miles driven in 2 years would indicate that the majority was highway miles which is easy on the oil. We are not talking an automobile here. These long haulers will put miles on the oil. Truckers routinely go over 20,000 miles on oil changes

1. It's not a heavy duty engine.
2. It probably doesn't have a 40qt or greater oil capacity like the big rigs.

I have met with the Ford Rep, Fred Myrick, who stated he "Is not a technical person" but would be glad to go down and "eyeball" my oil filter. He was absolutely no help at all. He just parroted everything that Landers said. I also met eith the ford engineer, Dave Martin, and he did the same. Dave Martin is who finally...after 3 weeks, told them to at least look at the crankshaft. that is as far as they went. They are both out of the Ford office in Memphis. As I said before, they will give me no phone numbers to contact ANYONE! I will spend all day on the phone tomorrow and see what I can find. I did find an independent mechanic that will work on my RV.

RPN,

Its obvious its not a Heavy Duty engine it blew up at 29,000 miles!
dunno.gif

Cathy,

I would just hire an attorney! You can't let an independent touch it yet, that will fall into another escape clause for Ford! Just get an attorney!

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
I would just hire an attorney! You can't let an independent touch it yet, that will fall into another escape clause for Ford! Just get an attorney!

Excellent point! Ford WILL deny the claim when a non-Ford authorized attempts warranty repair. I've seen the muck that causes...don't go there. An attorney is a great idea, too. Good luck on going way over the heads of your Ford regional reps. Too bad they're so indifferent and seemingly useless.

I was told that if I moved the motorhome to an independent shop that I would give Ford another escape. Like I said, I talked to a guy in Benton and was all set to move the RV there and then I was told that Ford would back up and deny my warranty because of that. It is like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. that is probably how ford wants me to feel! WE also just discovered that the maintanance guide that was suppose to be in our pack of stuff when we bought the RV...we never got! What a surprise!

Write a letter to editor of all newspapers and tell you story.

Call the TV stations and find out if they have a consumer advocate who would be interested in your problems with the dealer and Ford. Sometimes a little negative publicity can help resolve problems.

Quality is Job 1

Good Luck !!

Been on the phone all day. I have everyone invovled now. Contacted an attorney. BBB says that if a dealership keeps your vechicle out of sevice for over 30 days you can use the Lemon law. Will talk to them again tomorrow. With help from a friend, now the RV place suddenly will help. I will keep you posted!

quote:

Like I said, I talked to a guy in Benton and was all set to move the RV there and then I was told that Ford would back up and deny my warranty because of that.

Like they are doing anything for you now?

Stay with the lawyer and keep in contact with the Benton mechanic. I have no faith in Stealerships.

To Whom did you send the oil analysis sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back