Ford V10motor locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amkeer,

3001 and 3700 Miles on most Ford motors still falls within their 5000 mile normal OCI. 3000 being Severe. This is based on all the Fords I have owned anyways. There is no perfect scenario. Either Ford can be strict and keep the vehicle prices where they are and employ thousands of people at good wages as well as keep stock holders interested or they can be very lax and force auto prices much higher than their competition which will intern slow sales which will lead to layoffs as well as lower stock prices which is generally bad for all involved. One way or the other there will be times where some get stuff they don't deserve and others don't get what they do deserve. This is capitalism. It involves risk for both the supplier and the consumer.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Lets further simplify this:

I am the consumer. "Oooops, I just remembered that interval I told you was wrong! That interval was on my Landcruiser! The interval on the RV was more like 3700 miles." No reciepts..

What do you do? Answer objectively and really, I mean REALLY think about this without the luxury of what is written in previous posts. WHAT DO YOU DO?

My answer is - no proof and you had a brief memory lapse? How do I know you didn't have a lapse when it came time to change the oil.

All of this aside, we are talking about a warrenty AGREEMENT. You need to know what all of the fine print says you need to do. Different manufacturers may be different. I'm sure plenty of lawyers were involved in writing out this AGREEMENT to make sure that it is cut and dry. You need to be able to prove that you upheld your side of the AGREEMENT. When you do this, the manufacturer will do what they promised in the AGREEMENT and be more than happy to prove it.

Please note that Ford uses a different oil filter on their engine from the factory. This filter is not available to dealerships or the public. Honestly, why would they spend extra money on a contract for oil filters when they already have one. The only reason I can think of is because people have tried to screw them in the past. They must consider the $$$ spent on these filters to be enough to offset the $$$ they would have to pay out in warrenty repairs. If this filter is still in place upon engine failure, it is an easy way to tell that the customer didn't have the oil changed. No lab or investgations needed.

So, read and know the warrenty agreement for your vehicle. Follow it. Do whatever it says you need to. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Reciepts are free, engines aren't. Why try to buck the system when its so easy just to do the right thing?

[ February 27, 2005, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: medic ]

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Lets further simplify this:

I am the consumer. "Oooops, I just remembered that interval I told you was wrong! That interval was on my Landcruiser! The interval on the RV was more like 3700 miles." No reciepts..

What do you do? Answer objectively and really, I mean REALLY think about this without the luxury of what is written in previous posts. WHAT DO YOU DO?

My answer is - no proof and you had a brief memory lapse? How do I know you didn't have a lapse when it came time to change the oil.

All of this aside, we are talking about a warrenty AGREEMENT. You need to know what all of the fine print says you need to do. Different manufacturers may be different. I'm sure plenty of lawyers were involved in writing out this AGREEMENT to make sure that it is cut and dry. You need to be able to prove that you upheld your side of the AGREEMENT. When you do this, the manufacturer will do what they promised in the AGREEMENT and be more than happy to prove it.

(Medic, they did its called a UOA, Used Oil Analysis.)

Please note that Ford uses a different oil filter on their engine from the factory. This filter is not available to dealerships or the public. Honestly, why would they spend extra money on a contract for oil filters when they already have one. The only reason I can think of is because people have tried to screw them in the past. They must consider the $$$ spent on these filters to be enough to offset the $$$ they would have to pay out in warrenty repairs. If this filter is still in place upon engine failure, it is an easy way to tell that the customer didn't have the oil changed. No lab or investgations needed.

(What does this have to do with this claim? They changed the oil a number of times.)

So, read and know the warrenty agreement for your vehicle. Follow it. Do whatever it says you need to. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Reciepts are free, engines aren't. Why try to buck the system when its so easy just to do the right thing?

(I agree!)

quote:

Originally posted by Not the Autorx Frank:
Amkeer,

3001 and 3700 Miles on most Ford motors still falls within their 5000 mile normal OCI. 3000 being Severe. This is based on all the Fords I have owned anyways. There is no perfect scenario. Either Ford can be strict and keep the vehicle prices where they are and employ thousands of people at good wages as well as keep stock holders interested or they can be very lax and force auto prices much higher than their competition which will intern slow sales which will lead to layoffs as well as lower stock prices which is generally bad for all involved. One way or the other there will be times where some get stuff they don't deserve and others don't get what they do deserve. This is capitalism. It involves risk for both the supplier and the consumer.

I agree, but fess up when you make a mistake and fix it! Bad publicity is worse than anything! Good uoa fix engine, bad uoa sit tight and let customer fix. Its really very simple!

Ford knows dam well the oil did not cause the failure and so does the dealer. The fact another dealer was able to give her a new engine is proof (to me) that the paritcular dealer was being a A-hole as was Ford. You can even see that when a Ford C.S. Rep said that she was not nice to him and not they are taking thier warranty and going home. Thats the problem you run into dealing with some of the big car deales, you are just a PITA to them. We had Fords at work for many years (Dodge & GM also). There were severer service but never, never had any oil change before 5000 miles unlimited time. Over the 30 yrs I worked, we had a few engines fail but not a darn one was during the warranty. These engines seen much abuse and never failed, so when this engine failed it likely had nothing what-so-ever to do with oil and maintanence intervals. All of this was just people being A-H. All the legal mumbo-jumbo aside.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Ford knows dam well the oil did not cause the failure and so does the dealer. The fact another dealer was able to give her a new engine is proof (to me) that the paritcular dealer was being a A-hole as was Ford. You can even see that when a Ford C.S. Rep said that she was not nice to him and not they are taking thier warranty and going home. Thats the problem you run into dealing with some of the big car deales, you are just a PITA to them. We had Fords at work for many years (Dodge & GM also). There were severer service but never, never had any oil change before 5000 miles unlimited time. Over the 30 yrs I worked, we had a few engines fail but not a darn one was during the warranty. These engines seen much abuse and never failed, so when this engine failed it likely had nothing what-so-ever to do with oil and maintanence intervals. All of this was just people being A-H. All the legal mumbo-jumbo aside.

While I cannot take either side of why this engine failed because I didn't see it and am not sure how it was treated, I will once again state - the owner didn't follow her side of the warrenty AGREEMENT. Ford agreed to cover items as long as the owner took care of them the way that Ford wanted.

If you sent your child to a day care center and the day care center agreed to feed your child breakfast and lunch in the morning and at noon. They also agreed that there would be bathroom facilties available for your child to use at his/her will.

Then you find out that breakfast and lunch were only available together at 1 pm. Your child was only allowed to use the bathroom at 9am and 3pm.

While your child didn't suffer from malnutrition and didn't wet himself, you would still be very upset. The daycare center's point is that of above, no harm was done. Your point is that they AGREED to do these things and then they didn't hold up their end of the AGREEMENT.

It all boils down to morals. If you don't hold up your end of the AGREEMENT, why should you expect the other parties involved to hold up theirs?

Do what the warrenty agreement say to do: Cheap.
Do what you want: Potentially very expensive.

Last time I looked in my glove box, I saw an owners manual and a warrenty agreement book. I didn't see anything that was labeled "3 year/ 36,000 mile guarantee"

If you want a guarentee, get yourself a set of ginsu knives.

[ February 27, 2005, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

So medic you do EXACTLY what the intervals on EVERYTHING as statetd in the manual?

The Covingtons did what they were supposed to do the 3,,,YES 3 uoa proves the oil was fine.

My manual states to replace spark plugs at 24 months 15000 miles. Will I do that? NO! It states to replace differential oil 12 months, 15000 mile then again at 36 months, 36000 miles. I just did it at 26 months, 14000 miles with mobil1. It will get done again at 60 months, 60000 miles. The plugs will get changed as needed....They say in the manual thats ist not necessary to change the tranny fluid. I will do it every 2 years or 15000 mile drain and refill. My engine oil is changed every 6 months,6000 miles with Mobil1.

Its really just common sense! The recommended schedules are there as a general guideline for maintenance. Its not to be construed as a do or die situation. Use a good maintenance program and you should have no problems. If you do nothing then you will have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back