Premium Guard 10575 - potential issue

So I can't see how the filter could have gotten loaded up enough to increase the dP across it at idle at all from new when it only had 1200 miles on it. If the oil pressure glitches out again with the new oil an filter, then it's obviously something else going on.
Yeah that's the only reason why I suspected it might be the filter or something about it the engine does not like. I drove the absolute crap out of this thing 160 miles home and the wheels did not stop for 160 miles. It idled quite a bit in the driveway after I got it home and the oil pressure light never came on at all with whatever was in/on it then. When I drained that oil the next day the engine had only run for enough time to drive it across the street and the oil did not seem overly thick like someone loaded it with Lucas or STP or anything. I guess we'll find out soon enough if it acts up or not.

Yeah that's the only reason why I suspected it might be the filter or something about it the engine does not like. I drove the absolute crap out of this thing 160 miles home and the wheels did not stop for 160 miles. It idled quite a bit in the driveway after I got it home and the oil pressure light never came on at all with whatever was in/on it then. When I drained that oil the next day the engine had only run for enough time to drive it across the street and the oil did not seem overly thick like someone loaded it with Lucas or STP or anything. I guess we'll find out soon enough if it acts up or not.
So the PG filter was still on during the 160 mile drive, and you changed the oil & filter the next day (1200 miles on the oil & filter), and that's were you used the M1 extended performance HM 5W30 and a Motorcaft FL500S filter when you change the oil and filter at 1200 miles on them? Or did you do an oil & filter change, then drive it 160 miles (PG filter not on the engine), then drain the oil the next day again for some reason? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
So the PG filter was still on during the 160 mile drive, and you changed the oil & filter the next day (1200 miles on the oil & filter), and that's were you used the M1 extended performance HM 5W30 and a Motorcaft FL500S filter when you change the oil and filter at 1200 miles on them? Or did you do an oil & filter change, then drive it 160 miles (PG filter not on the engine), then drain the oil the next day again for some reason? 🤷‍♂️
Drove it home January 13th with whatever was in it since 2022 according to the carfax and oil change sticker - a dealership owned this car for quite a while and used it as their personal errand runner, changed oil with M1 0W40 and that premium guard filter the next day January 14th, oil pressure light started coming on shortly after that. Dumped that fill and filter today 1200 miles later for the M1 EP HP 5W30 and FL500S.

I would have done the same, but my neighbor wanted to try the correct viscosity as well. His money, not mine. The oil I drained out was really nasty dirty with a lot of carbon in the bottom of the pan though, so I guess no big deal. The engine got a bit of a clean out. The bypass valve is my hunch as well. I have another one of these, not sure if I'm going to use it on something or not after this experience.
I'm wondering if something was partially clogging the pickup screen that finally drained with the old oil or or broke free after the oil change. It sounds like the oil was in rough shape for the mileage, so there could be other factors going on here.

I would also check to see if the bypass valve on the filter you removed can be moved by and without excessive resistance or binding up. If you have another filter with a similar bypass valve design, you could compare how the two feel.

In short I don't think you have an oil filter problem.
That sums it up nicely.

I don’t see anything that appears to be wrong with the filter, and I agree with Zee06 I don’t think the random odd symptoms point to the filter either. I’m suspicious of a random sensor issue or something of that nature. As you mentioned OP, we should know soon enough. Do keep us updated.

I would also check to see if the bypass valve on the filter you removed can be moved by and without excessive resistance or binding up. If you have another filter with a similar bypass valve design, you could compare how the two feel.

I run the Wix 57502 size on my grand marquis (same filter size as this premium guard) I've cut several of this size filter open off of a few different vehicles lately and the bypass valve seemed much easier to push open than this thing. I can barely get it to move at all.

But then again - why is the engine twice as quiet as soon as the oil filter filled with oil with the current filter and oil? it always did sound a little louder from the get-go with the 0w40 and the premium guard filter than the oil and filter it was driven home with. He's driven it this morning, car still gone and haven't gotten a text from him yet saying the light came on, so fingers crossed lol.

I run the Wix 57502 size on my grand marquis (same filter size as this premium guard) I've cut several of this size filter open off of a few different vehicles lately and the bypass valve seemed much easier to push open than this thing. I can barely get it to move at all.
How stiff the bypass valve feels is dependant on the PSI setting and what the diameter of the valve surface is. So can't really compare two different brand & model filter bypass valves.

But then again - why is the engine twice as quiet as soon as the oil filter filled with oil with the current filter and oil? it always did sound a little louder from the get-go with the 0w40 and the premium guard filter than the oil and filter it was driven home with. He's driven it this morning, car still gone and haven't gotten a text from him yet saying the light came on, so fingers crossed lol.
Different brand, and new oil can make an engine sound quieter after an oil change. I've noticed it many times. There's more going on than just the oil filter. Time will tell.

Back