HEMI Oil Pressure Issues (Oil Filter Related)

I would run a K&N Gold to be completely safe but service intervals might need to change. If that's not possible, run one of the recommended filters. I run 5w-50 on a high powered turbo car and any of the super high efficiency filters would be in by pass a lot of the time especially at full throttle and start up.
to be completely safe run the Purolator Boss and never look back as its the finest filter available to date.

For what it's worth. I've run every Fram oil filter in the book in my 2015 5.7 HEMI. Along with the white K&N, with the spot welded, sheet metal "Hex" on the end. I've used nothing but Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic. I change oil and filter every 6 months. (Very low mileage changes). I've NEVER had an error code.

Oil pressure is around 60 PSI at startup. And around 50 PSI with an oil temp of 212 F or slightly lower.
my 04 Ram Hemi has over 210000 miles and its had Castrol conventional oil 5w30 and the Mopar MO-090 filter since day one and still going strong while others have the Hemi tick or dropped valve seats or timing chain guide failure

to be completely safe run the Purolator Boss and never look back as its the finest filter available to date.
1644890684994.jpg

So what's so special about the Boss over the Titanium or Ultra ?

Purolator has a video series out explaining. Look on you tube
Explaining what? Doesn't answer my question of what the Boss has over the Titanium. What makes the Boss "the finest filter available to date" - ?

What I find disheartening is how frequently filter makers are being bought/sold, and the subsequent changes they are making to their filter line-ups.
As soon as one of us cuts open a filter and makes a thread, that info is only good until the next person does a disection, and then "new" info usurps the former. It's darn hard to keep up with what filter has what feature with what media nowdays. Fram upgraded the EG with a silicone ADBV, but then reports are that perhaps that's been dialed back again. The XG has been changed. The Boss has changed. The Wix XP has changed. The Amsoil is too good at what it does, but only in engines that apparently generate too much particulate.

Generally, there's always been a good; better; best format for oil filters. But now it seems they're blending features and construction characteristics so that it falls out this way:
- not so good, but not as bad as junk from across the ocean
- good, but only just
- more than good, but not quite better
- sort of better, with a hint of best, but with cheapened media in a trade for ADBV
- defininetly better, but costs almost as much as the best, and really just has a prettier box
- certainly best, but not as "best" as "best" used to be, because they cheapened the construction to pinch pennies so they can pay execs more bonus money

It's hard to know what you're getting at the retailer because the changes are coming so fast.
I wish they all would just pick a product level and stick with it.

Last edited:
What I find disheartening is how frequently filter makers are being bought/sold, and the subsequent changes they are making to their filter line-ups.
As soon as one of us cuts open a filter and makes a thread, that info is only good until the next person does a disection, and then "new" info usurps the former. It's darn hard to keep up with what filter has what feature with what media nowdays. Fram upgraded the EG with a silicone ADBV, but then reports are that perhaps that's been dialed back again. The XG has been changed. The Boss has changed. The Wix XP has changed. The Amsoil is too good at what it does, but only in engines that apparently generate too much particulate.

Generally, there's always been a good; better; best format for oil filters. But now it seems they're blending features and construction characteristics so that it falls out this way:
- not so good, but not as bad as junk from across the ocean
- good, but only just
- more than good, but not quite better
- sort of better, with a hint of best, but with cheapened media in a trade for ADBV
- defininetly better, but costs almost as much as the best, and really just has a prettier box
- certainly best, but not as "best" as "best" used to be, because they cheapened the construction to pinch pennies so they can pay execs more bonus money

It's hard to know what you're getting at the retailer because the changes are coming so fast.
I wish they all would just pick a product level and stick with it.
Exactly.....
This was a great read...🔼

Fram XG filters are considered bench mark around here, and rightly so.
It's rated for 20,000 miles(?). The 'Boss' is only rated for 15,000 miles.

Fram XG filters are considered bench mark around here, and rightly so.
It's rated for 20,000 miles(?). The 'Boss' is only rated for 15,000 miles.

But the XG construction has changed, and First Brands is "dissembling" about the efficiency of the older 2-ply syn media Ultras was (to gloss over the cheapening of the new Ultra). I haven't used a Boss for 15K, but the Purolator (full) Synthetic predecessor was a pretty good looking filter-15K would definitely be possible on a clean engine. I'm waiting to see some new style Ultras get pushed hard & get cut open-they've abandoned their "benchmark" as far as I'm concerned. Royal Purple, Fleetguard Stratapore, & Donaldson Blue are the best ones now.

No, not really. They source filters from several OEMs. So, buying a Royal Purple oil filter is like ... View attachment 89289
How so? RP has been made by Champ as long as I can remember-they retain the 2 ply FULL SYNTHETIC media that Fram stopped putting in the Ultras, and either have a metal or newer Ecore center tube, along with proven reliability & top efficiency ratings. The Ultra is more like the Kinder egg, could be OG, could be "profit driven" sprayed on synthetic!

Back