Ford V10motor locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please clear up something for us.

You said you were using Motorcraft oil in the vehicle but you mention an Amsoil dealer???

What's the connection??????

Kevin, the Amsoil rep, is a friend of ours from racing. He helps sponsor my daughter and is helping us out. We will use Amsoil from now on. We used Penzoil 5W20 and a motcraft oil filter.

Wow, this would have been the perfect test of Pennzoil/Quaker State's 10 year/250,000 mile warranty. If you'd only changed your oil at 4,000 mile intervals we could find out if PZQS would pay for the engine or at least research enough to determine if it was oil related.

Have you been given a estimate on engine replacement cost yet?

If you end up needing a motor, I will be glad to sell you one at a discounted rate. I am a broker for a nationwide salvage yard and we do mostly late model ford motors.

Send me a private message on this board if you run into trouble and the dealer doesn't take care of it and I'll see what we can do.

Sorry, missed the Penzoil comment,
pat.gif
thought you were using Motorcraft 5W20, one of the better 5W20's.

Anyway, it seems rather convienient that the dealer threw the oil away without your permission.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cathy Covington:
I went to the dealership yesterday. It seems that they have discarded all the oil that cameout of my engine. The service manager said that "it appeared to be preety clean,so we saw no reason to save it"

Isn't this a contradiction. Firstly he said it was due to dirty oil, but later said it was pretty clean.

How can he say then that the failure was due to the oil?

If they don't fix the engine per "Warranty Requirements" they are in violation of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. I would send them a certified letter to the dealership and Ford Corporate explaining your expectations and a time limitation before you hire legal counsel. Do not get into to many specifics other than the motor is toasted and needs replaced.

Good luck and take lots of notes. I sued a large dealership 3 years ago and won. They committed fraud, forgery and breach of contract.

A side note my buddys Ford motor died at 70,000 and Ford refused to replace it. POS!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91400 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Ah yes, the POS Ford trucks...

I own such a piece and I've been there and done that with the FoMoCo people. Their first job is the take your money. Secondly, then they will try their darndest to make sure they don't treat you properly by feeding you the biggest lines of bull while looking at you solemnly in the face. Third, the service people will tell you that it doesn't matter what the sales people say because the mechanical stuff is what they do best and they have all the answers.

My quick story. '97 Explorer made thunk noise after backing out of the driveway and went into a fatal no start condition. The problem? The crank snapped in two behind the dampner.

The local Ford crook (dealer) said they'd never heard of this before. I pointed out the NHTSA site where I wasn't the only one. They said that they'd never heard of it before. I say NHTSA and they say I'm the first. Round and round we go.

The service department says that it's normal for this to happen because at 100k miles you really got your money out of the car. I tell him that my manual says to change the plugs, wires and so forth but I should just rip out those pages and plan on replacing the engine instead? He continues to say that their engines are only designed to last 100k but with frequent oil changes maybe 120-130k.

I appeal to the zone manager and the service manager says he'll set up a meeting for me. 2 days later he tells me that he's had the meeting for me, without any input from me and that Ford will not extend any assistance to me. I ask him which of us has my interest at heart and he says solemnly that he does.

I kept the broken part but I did not sue them in court. A metal expert would have cost me $2.5k that would not have been a recoverable cost. Then rental car would have eaten me up and so I paid nearly $5k for a new motor.

To this day I tell people just what Ford is like and I've pursuaded several diehard Ford people to buy something else. I wrote to Ford voicing my displeasure with their vehicle and even offered to give it back to them. Not surprisingly no one bothered to get in touch.

Keep up the fight and don't let the bastards put you down. You're well within your warranty period and don't take their word as the final answer.

I would have never taken my family 6000 miles through the SW Desert with confidence in a Ford like I did my 95 Runner with 90,000 miles!

I am sorry to rant, but 29000 miles on a motor fried and refusing to replace it! Give me a break!

Why am I not surprised that the dealer dumped that oil as soon as the customer's back was turned? Of course they're cocky. I'll bet they've performed this act before and have the script memorized. Hyundai (and I would be VERY surprised if they're alone) pays a set labor hourly that's significantly under what the dealers want to see. Consequently, if they can get the customer to foot the bill, at the dealer's customary shop rates, it's better on the dealer's bottom line. Don't bet against the notion that some dealers double dip for the cost of parts and labor, too - sweet when the manufacturer and the hapless customer both pay! (What - an unethical car dealer?!?! Nah, couldn't happen in America...)

quote:

5W20 in a V10 used for towing??

Sounds questionable to me too.

I would have expected that the manufacturer would repair it as quickly as possible to keep them quiet.

After all, what small percentage of owners are actually loading their vehicles heavily ? And what small percentage of them will have warranty trouble ?

Small numbers. Better to send them away happy when it does happen.

quote:

Originally posted by Cathy Covington:
5W20 was recommended in our warranty guide.

Exactly.

Many on here, for many months, have debated whether the lighter oils truly provide adequate protection, or whether they provide somewhat marginal protection -- "Good enough" normally, but we know we will have a few failures.

Yours could be looked at as one of those uncommon failures-- why I would have thought the manufacturer might be eager to step up and defend the engine and the oil.

offtopic.gif
Wow - I haven't been hangin' in this forum much. Exciting to say the least...and then Amsoil pops up....thanks for the explanation.

Some things are strange:

quote:

the only oil that was left was in a little plastic container with my name on the top and my oil filter in it.

How much volume?
-----------------------------------
Why the 7K interval? That may be your downfall unless you can indeed prove he oil is OK...

It's not normal practice for us to let the oil go that long. The deaths of 4 family memebers within 6 month intervals...my mother, my grandmother, my step father-in-law and my father-inlaw just had us running on auto pilot. Time just slipped away. Not whining...just trying to answer your question.

BTW, I couldn't have done any of this without the help of the womderful Amsoil rep, Kevin Alexander. He is a great guy and has gone beyond the call of duty to try and help us!

No resolution. Not even a response from Ford. they have completelly ignored my letters and e-mails. the biggest motocross race of the year is in 2 weeks. Motels are booked a year in advance for this. I just don't know what we will do! Pray alot! the consumer Protection agency had not heard of the Magnunson-Moss Warranty Act. I am suppose to hear from them today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back