Ford V10motor locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

2. do pick up things like body lotion, shower gel, etc. things that will pamper your important person. You can't go wrong with a basket of Warm Vanilla Sugar products from Bath and Body Works.

And learn how to give body messages with those lotions and creams.

It works wonders for your s...x life, and hers.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

2. do pick up things like body lotion, shower gel, etc. things that will pamper your important person. You can't go wrong with a basket of Warm Vanilla Sugar products from Bath and Body Works.

And learn how to give body messages with those lotions and creams.

It works wonders for your s...x life, and hers.

What viscosity oil do you recommend for the massage?

quote:

5. DO NOT but cubic zirconia! If you can't afford the diamond see options 2,3 and 4!

There is another point of view, and it is supported by all the women who buy fake stones from QVC and HSN. It won't replace the speed channel for most of us, but tune in once in a while to hear the customers gush about their fake or modified jewelry. BTW: These channels are the only 24-hour live TV available in the USA.
Terry

quote:

What viscosity oil do you recommend for the massage?

Generally a 30 to 40 weight works well. Just make sure your oil AND hands are warmed up before application. A good 15.0 cSt PAO with triethanalomine works best.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
biggthumbcoffe.gif
patriot.gif

Remember our troops on the front line as well.
patriot.gif

Back on topic for a minute - Cathy please be certain to use a good oil, a good filter (info is on the forum - I think most of us prefer a synthetic but whatever..Probably the cheapest oils out there are not the very best oils out there...just like wine, steaks, diamonds, whatever...) and for the motor home I would really suggest 3000 mile oil chnnge intervals! Synthetic, premium filter, and 3000 mile OCI is overkill most likely but for $2000 you can do quite a few oil changes!!

I think getting your motorhome fixed for $2000 was a pretty good outcome. Could have been better, could have been worse...

WOW.!!!!!!!! I came in on this at the very end and must say first that I am glad the Covington's made out as best as was possible,although the time frame was rather lengthy..I guess it could have been a lot loooooooooooooooonger..Second,what a read,man it sure made the morning fly by,it took me about an hour and a quarter to read and absorb everything..Third,it's a little unnerving that after an oil analysis was presented showing the oil was not the cause FOMOCO still balks at the claim..What's 10g,compared to 8g,not much at all for a big corp like this..It may turn some people off from ford products but, I am sure the others would have been just as stubborn,which leads me to wonder what any of their warranties are worth???Lastly,thanks for the gift suggestions,will keep them in mind for next year..

Cathy, will you performing a UOA or two and post them here? I'll host the data file from Blackstone for you if you'd like.

IMO, I would use only GC or M1 for 5000 mile intervals. This way, you can go further if you need to. As Terry says, "...let the UOA be your guide..."

wink.gif
Have we all learned a lesson here? You lucked out I think Cathy. You'd have gotten eaten alive in a court of law. Everyone here: look at the legal mumbo jumbo in your owner's manual regarding warrenty claims.

Drew,

The lesson learned is I will never buy a Ford!

She would have won based on what is written. There is no proof the oil caused the warranty motor to fail. The oil was uoa and found to still be acceptable.

The end.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Drew,

The lesson learned is I will never buy a Ford!

Agreed. I'll never buy a big 3 American car ever again (except a Vette).

Cathy, once again, I wasn't trying to be an A-hole towards you. I just think the facts surrounding this case were not in your favor. I wish you the best and I sincerely hope things work out, and that your daughter becomes the next Jeremy McGrath! I wish my parents had supported my dream of automobile racing when I was young, but they insisted it was too dangerous and that they wouldn't support me at all. Your a great parent for supporting your daughter and allowing here to progress at something she loves and is talented at.
smile.gif

Originally posted by kevm14:
QUOTE]Police cars aren't really that special. Most of the "features" appear as delete items, basic interiors, and wiring provisions. The engines they use, the brakes and suspensions are either the SAME as the base civilian model, or is at least available as a package to the civilian model. What Arkansas needs is some Caprices to replace those CVPIs!

grin.gif
Glad for Cathy... AH... The Ford Police Interceptor IS somewhat different that grandpa's version, and then just slightly more so than the handling & performace packages. The recent Interceptors have a LOT of nice upgrades, and is as good a car as the Caprices were. Not to say the Caprices weren't superb. It only took Ford ten years to get a clue. GM's deleting the Caprice was a big mistake. The Impalas are marginal, and the Luminas almost a joke. With Chyrsler giving agencies a HEMI option in a short while, Ford better not slack off now.

quote:

She would have won based on what is written. There is no proof the oil caused the warranty motor to fail. The oil was uoa and found to still be acceptable.

Move on, Amkeer - it's over. Though I'm satisfied with how things turned out, the Covingtons got a FAR better deal than their maintenance negligence deserved. Your constant harping about a mythical slam-dunk jury award based on a non-definitive UOA taken from bottom drippings is pure horsepucky speculation at best. Ford's lawyers would've been all over that (and the 7,000 mile OCI under the stress of severe service) like a bad-fitting suit. Juries aren't as stupid as you give them credit for.

Note to Cathy: since you're pushing 40+ square feet of frontal area through the air at 70+ mph and hauling a support trailer through hill and dale, consider one of the "all-fleet" 15W-40 oils such as Delo 400. What slight fuel mileage penalty you incur will be more than offset by the increased engine protection you gain.

[ January 10, 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
So Cathy what oil viscosity did you decide on??

After all this: PLEASE make it a true, full-synthetic, and change it @ 5K. Better overkill, than having another thread like this one.
rolleyes.gif

You know what, this is why Ford is faring so poorly. Well, not the only reason but I could name more people that I know personally that have turned their back to Fords than I could count on my two hands. Have you driven a ford lately? "No, because the crank in my test drive vehicle snapped" LOL email that new catch line to that retarded CEO guy, Nassar? is that his name?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Move on, Amkeer - it's over. Though I'm satisfied with how things turned out, the Covingtons got a FAR better deal than their maintenance negligence deserved. Your constant harping about a mythical slam-dunk jury award based on a non-definitive UOA taken from bottom drippings is pure horsepucky speculation at best. Ford's lawyers would've been all over that (and the 7,000 mile OCI under the stress of severe service) like a bad-fitting suit. Juries aren't as stupid as you give them credit for.

Note to Cathy: since you're pushing 40+ square feet of frontal area through the air at 70+ mph and hauling a support trailer through hill and dale, consider one of the "all-fleet" 15W-40 oils such as Delo 400. What slight fuel mileage penalty you incur will be more than offset by the increased engine protection you gain.

Ray:

With all due respect, Amkeer is correct on this one. What you've overlooked is how burdens of proof work in court. The judge would turn to Ford first and require them to meet their burden, that is, to prove with specific evidence from someone qualified to give it, as to how this engine failed as a direct result of the Covington's maintenance practices.. If this now-hypothetical case proceeded based upon what we've seen in this thread, there'd actually be no jury verdict, as the judge would grant a "directed verdict" in favor of the Covington's once it was clear that Ford could not specifically meet its burden. Actually, the Covington's lawyer might have been able to avoid trial altogether by using a "Motion for Summary Judgment", which requires the opponent to show that he can come forward with some evidence to support his position. Given the way the law (MMWA) shifts the burden, Ford would likely have lost an MSJ in this case.

On the other hand, as a relatively experienced attorney, I'd still advise most clients that it's better to avoid a fight, even if it's a foregone conclusion that you're going to win, if you can do so on acceptable terms. In most places, the Covingtons would have had to wait a very long time to be vindicated (trial, and maybe an appeal by Ford too). Whether their "deal" is acceptable is entirely a personal decision for the Covingtons.
cheers.gif

Im not sure if this would help but if you think it might i will write ford a letter explaing my feelings of uncertinty about this and mention that because of there treatment of there customer i will never buy anything with a blue oval on it.
mabye if a bunch of people did this that 2k might appear?

Originally posted by ekpolk:

With all due respect, Amkeer is correct on this one. What you've overlooked is how burdens of proof work in court. The judge would turn to Ford
Plaintiff would be pleading that defendant breached the warranty contract. In Arkansas, the burden of proof stays on the plaintiff, as illustrated by AMI Civil 2004, 3001:

“AMI 3001 ISSUES—BREACH OF CONTRACT
Plaintiff claims that defendant breached a contract and has the burden of proving each of four essential propositions:

First, that plaintiff and defendant entered into a contract;
Second, that the contract required defendant to perform or not to perform a certain act;
Third, that plaintiff did what the contract required of him and
Fourth, that defendant did not do what the contract required of him.

If you find that the plaintiff has proved each of these propositions, then your verdict should be for plaintiff. If, however, plaintiff has failed to prove any one or more of these propositions, then your verdict should be for defendant.”

The burden of proof is clearly on plaintiff and the back breaker is item number three - the potential plaintiff will have to prove compliance with the manufacturers warranty requirements.

If you were plaintiff, you would really have to worry about having a verdict directed against you. If the case got to the jury, the defendant would certainly have wanted the following instruction given to the jury:

“AMI 3027 BREACH

The parties dispute whether plaintiff did what the contract required of him. A party's failure to do what the contract required of him is a "breach" of the contract.

A "material breach" is a failure to perform an essential term or condition that substantially defeats the purpose of the contract for the other party. A material breach excuses the performance of the other party. A breach that is not material does not excuse the performance of the other party.”

Plaintiff would want this instruction given, instead:

“AMI 3028 SUBSTANTIAL PERFORMANCE

The parties dispute whether plaintiff did what their contract required of him. A party may recover on a contract even if he did not do everything that the contract required of him if his performance was substantial.

Plaintiff contends and has the burden of proving that he substantially performed his contract with defendant. Substantial performance cannot be determined by a mathematical rule. In determining whether performance was substantial, you should consider the following factors:
(1) The extent to which defendant will be deprived of the benefit that he reasonably expected;
(2) The extent to which defendant can be adequately compensated for the benefit of which he will be deprived;
(3) The extent to which plaintiff will suffer forfeiture;
(4) The likelihood that plaintiff will cure his failure, taking into account all circumstances, including any reasonable assurance that the failure will be cured; and
(5) The extent to which the behavior of plaintiff is consistent with standards of good faith and fair dealing.”

I just cherry picked a few instructions out of the dozens that would be given to a jury if this matter were to be tried - you can’t really say what the instructions will be until you know all of the facts that come out at trial, but the above ones would probably be in the set ....

Additionally, Arkansas has another statute A.C.A. 16-22-308, that allows, but does not require, costs and attorney fees to be taxed against the losing party in certain proceedings, including breach of contract suits - a sobering thought if you think you could be on the losing end of litigation ...

Maybe some of the guys in central Arkansas will know more about this, but a somewhat similar case was tried in Little Rock a few weeks ago and resulted in a jury verdict for the manufacturer (Volvo, I think).

All I know is what I gleaned from a quick scan of a newspaper article, but, IIRC, a trucking company was suing the truck manufacturer because a bunch of truck engines were alleged to be failing prematurely at great expense. IIRC, somewhere in the fact set was that the truck company was using 100K (!) oil drain intervals with oil analysis, because the oil they were using was supposed to be good for 100K. It didn't mention or I don't recall the name of the oil manufacturer.

Anyway, this was WAY outside of the manufacturer's service intervals. Predictably, jury verdict for the defendant. I don't recall if it was based on contract principles or some other theory, but defendant won. Wish I had paid more attention to the article. It was in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Maybe someone else can find it and give a better summary than I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back